Mesh Jacket w/armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Scorpion Hat Trick. The removable liners are great for rain or cold weather. My only wish is that I puchased a brighter color w/ more reflective areas.

I own two: an Olympia Airglide II and a Tourmaster Intake. I wear the Airglide the majority of the time, however, in temps above around 90 degrees, the Intake is a bit cooler. I'd recommend either for warm/hot weather, but would recommend the Airglide for cooler temps too. I've ridden comfortably (with the removable liner in) in temps as low as the low-30's. It has matching pants that are as comfortable and offer as much protection as the jacket.

+1 on the Olympia Airglide II. The ladies is cut perfectly for them. Very comfortable and I agree with the liner, it's quite warm in cooler temps; without, offers good protection and some ventilation.

Depleted Uranium...what an interesting idea! Might be a tad on the heavy side though and I would be curious as to how well it would dissapate the initial shock.

Mine says "Cycleport" but it's the same stuff. Ultra Mesh II.

Stiffer than a sailor's dick on liberty when new but it softens up by putting it in a commercial dryer with some tennis shoes or..

Just wear it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crash tested my Cortech HRX-II by Tour Master, still wearing it. Not avail any more but they have a III now. Shoulder armor is molded into the jacket, hard elbow armor, triple-density back pad which can be replaced with hard armor, waterproof and cold-weather liners. Zipper sleeves, not velcro, gives better security.

I bought a non-mesh summer jacket - British Motorcycle Gear (formerly Belstaff) Zodiac. It has great venting and I am comfortable in the 100 degree heat of Texas. I also own a BMG Challenger, which is a bulletproof winter jacket (truly waterproof). I plan on trading in my old challenger for 1/2 off a new challenger or discovery.

Regards,

Davy

I've been wanting to get a jacket for warm weather riding that also offers some protection. I want to get one for the wife too, since she is usually on the back. What do you all have and would you give a review or recommendation? Gracias amigos!!
I wear a First Gear Mesh-Tex or a First Gear Kilimanjaro Air and First Gear Mesh-Tex pants in warm / hot weather..

Both seem to have good air flow and are not too bad until the temps. get to about 90 and above ,, then everything is hot...

two reasons for the First gear stuff.. First was , comfort ,, seemed to be the brand that fit me the best ,,

second was price,,,,, ( got the jackets on sale)

I've been lucky enough not to have crash tested it yet ,,, Both they have soft armor so I wonder

how they would hold up ,,,( I have replaced the elbow pads with harder armor...)

Been thinking about updating to something with more hard armor / more protection ... The Mesh-Tex is getting old..

But haven't found the right one yet..

Cold weather I have a Belstaf and a Motoport with hard armor and liners,,,

Just picked up a Rev'it Airforce mesh jacket. It showed up yesterday. It has had excellent reviews in webbike world which led me to purchasing it. Since it has been updated, it is tough to find and its replacement at list price is expensive.

Rev'it Airforce Mesh

I've got the REV'IT Air. Lots of airflow, armored a hell of a lot better than a Tee shirt, and it looks good to boot. BTW, Revzilla has great costumer service.

REV'IT AIR

Recently purchased the Olympia high viz yellow mesh jacket and am very happy. Pricier than Firstgear, Cortech but the quality shows.

I have the Cortech GX Air and so far it is very good. It comes with two liners that can be added or taken out depending on the weather.

h_kq_white.jpg

+1 on the Tourmaster Intake , of the 5 jackets I own this is the most versatile. With just the mexh it's good to the 90's , good rain /wind liner , and with the insulated liner it's good till 50 or lower.

I've been wanting to get a jacket for warm weather riding that also offers some protection. I want to get one for the wife too, since she is usually on the back. What do you all have and would you give a review or recommendation? Gracias amigos!!
hi i am chris i live in california it get hot here..go to www.actionstation.com you will like!!! i used the crusader armored shirt and used the bodyguard adventure shorts with tailbone pad ...it work

+1 on the Tourmaster Intake , of the 5 jackets I own this is the most versatile. With just the mexh it's good to the 90's , good rain /wind liner , and with the insulated liner it's good till 50 or lower.
My Tourmaster Intake is also my favorite and most versatile jacket.

The Intake and the Cortech GX Air both use the same dual liner system. They're pretty much the same jacket except the GX Air uses leather in the abrasion zones and the Intake uses Cordura. Sportier graphics on the GX too.

I've been wearing a First Gear Mesh-Tex for about 5 years now. Can't recommend it highly enough. Pads, zippers, and finish have held up great. Great airflow, not much there to stop it. The first couple years the jackets did not come with liners.

Went down with it on once but did not slide down the road to test out the abrasion resistance. I did hit the fender of the truck and the road, no sore arms or shoulders. Just a sore chest from where the over-sized CB windshield hit me.

The only other jackets I thought were of similar or higher quality are Teknic and Alpinestars. Haven't seen Olympia to compare them. Bought my daughter a Cortech LTX AIR for fit and style, none of the First Gear fit or appealed to her. So I have looked at jackets recently.

Brian

Joe Rocket textile mesh jacket. Works great even in the 100 degree heat we have here. Of course doin' 80 helps a lot.

Avoid TourMaster Draft - Here's why https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...20&start=20
Wearing a Cycleport jacket now, will add Cycleport pants as soon as I can stash away sufficient funds.
You will love the pants...very comfortable. The Jacket and pant connect very well with a big zipper that wraps half way around your body...instead of just a strip across your back. I have ridden about 15,000 miles with them & they still look like new. Plus you get to look like an astronaut. :ph34r:

You will love the pants...very comfortable. The Jacket and pant connect very well with a big zipper that wraps half way around your body...instead of just a strip across your back. I have ridden about 15,000 miles with them & they still look like new. Plus you get to look like an astronaut. :ph34r:
I believe it. The jacket was obviously designed by riders for riding. Not comfortable at all while trying it on in the living room, but as soon as I got into riding position, everything made sense. Don't even notice it going down the road. Can only hope the pants feel as good...

I'd just like to say something about the womens jackets for those women that ride.

I have an Olympia mesh jacket and I liked it at first because of the 2 in 1 system, but when I ride, the wind whips over my helmet creating turbulence and then the back of the jacket wants to fly up all the time because it's made like a dress. The velcro is around the waist, not around the bottom like the men's.

It's really annoying having it flipping around like that. It happens more when I am crouched forward in a more aggressive riding position. Oh, and zippering it into the pants does not help.

I'm just sayin'.... just my 2 cents on the Olympia (for women).