Michelin Pilot Road-2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff's findings on the PR2 also reflect my experience with just under 8000 miles on mine. The front is wearing faster than the rear. And the rear has been a little scary on road snakes and similar road surface variations. Am currently running a Pilot Power 2, due to a nail in the PR2, but plan to go back to the touring version when this one is sufficiently shredded. Thanks for an excellent rundown, Mr. Ashe. phil

Turn-in is silky smooth and predictable. The PR2 is probably one of the most linear turning tires I’ve ever encountered.So we’re now down to the bottom lines. Here’s my advice, Tour with the Michelin PR2. Sport with the Dunlop RoadSmart. Rumble with my old faithful Pirelli Diablo Strada.

Like most everything in life, you have to give something up to gain something else. Set your expectation needle along the scale between Sport and Touring. It should land on one of the three brands/positions mentioned above.

Good review, thank you very much Jeff.

I wish I mounted a pair of PR2s when I went on my 3 week tour last June. I would have liked to made it the full 7800 miles on one set. I started with brand new Storms and had to get another rear in Elkhart Indiana at just under 5000 miles. The dealer didn't have Avon so he convinced me to put on a Road Smart. It got me home to the left coast just fine, and lasted about as long as a Storm. They seemed to complement each other - Storm front, Road Smart rear. So in a pinch it worked out.

I am planning to run Road Smarts front and rear this December (my expected replacement interval) in large part because of your findings/impressions. I really like the Storms but find that Avon's quality is rather inconsistent - almost a crap shoot, every once in a while I get an Avon that just goes south. I ride all year out here, rain or shine (SF Bay Area) and the bike is my commuter as well as my toy. I prefer to sacrifice mileage in favor of performance on the weekends, If the Road Smarts run like the Storms I will be pleased. The next time I go on an extended tour I will give the PR2's a run.

Isn't this fun? :D Our bikes give us the opportunity to spend money every few thousand miles.

Brodie

Ashe speaks truth.My PR2s were installed just before EOM, and after chasing Jeff & Jason over Rt 311, I concurr that they're an 85% tire for the FJR. At hard lean, they just get a little gittery. So long as you don't push into that remaining 15% of the FJR's abilities, they're wonderful.

The rear is a great 2-up tire...nice and stiff. At 2400 miles today, I can tell this will be the longest treadlife set so far; they look practically new. If you're not a peg scraper, these are the tires for you, hands down. However, if you play MotoGP on the weekends, the Roadsmarts will serve you better.

One more note:

I've ridden a few times since EOM in higher temperatures, and noticed that the PR2's stick better. Yesterday, I scraped pegs at high speeds several times, with no traction loss at all. The temperature was mid- 80s, vs. low 70s @ EOM. Above 80 degrees, I might call this a 95% tire (will wait for Jeff Ashe's opinion on this).

For me, this probably makes the PR2s the perfect choice for Summers, when higher temperatures will effectively soften the tire (and eat them up quicker), and improve extreme lean performance. But I intend to switch back to the Roadsmarts for cooler weather, as the PR2s are too hard for my tastes, below 75 degrees.

This is all good info and the many varying opinions all work together. And yes thanks again Jeff for your great reports. They are much appreciated ever since you started them way back when. I'm still on the 21's and have not gotten as many miles this year that I would have liked and splitting riding time between the FJR and the HD doing ministry mostly with CMA tends to save on the tires. I still have a good set of Z6's waiting though for when the Stone's kick it in for the Yamaha. Keep up the good work Jeff! PM. <>< ;)

This is great info on the PR2s. I mounted a set 1000 miles ago and haven't regretted it.

As for traction in cooler temperatures: I know it's counterproductive in terms of getting high mileage, but if you look for a bit more traction when it's colder and don't want to change to a different (softer) tire, you could run lower psi in the rear. Obviously you would only do that if you know you are going out to scrape pegs.

Ashe speaks truth.My PR2s were installed just before EOM, and after chasing Jeff & Jason over Rt 311, I concurr that they're an 85% tire for the FJR. At hard lean, they just get a little gittery. So long as you don't push into that remaining 15% of the FJR's abilities, they're wonderful.

The rear is a great 2-up tire...nice and stiff. At 2400 miles today, I can tell this will be the longest treadlife set so far; they look practically new. If you're not a peg scraper, these are the tires for you, hands down. However, if you play MotoGP on the weekends, the Roadsmarts will serve you better.

One more note:

I've ridden a few times since EOM in higher temperatures, and noticed that the PR2's stick better. Yesterday, I scraped pegs at high speeds several times, with no traction loss at all. The temperature was mid- 80s, vs. low 70s @ EOM. Above 80 degrees, I might call this a 95% tire (will wait for Jeff Ashe's opinion on this).

For me, this probably makes the PR2s the perfect choice for Summers, when higher temperatures will effectively soften the tire (and eat them up quicker), and improve extreme lean performance. But I intend to switch back to the Roadsmarts for cooler weather, as the PR2s are too hard for my tastes, below 75 degrees.
Jagermeister,

I would agree with you completely on this. In the colder temps, it takes a bit longer to heat up the PR2's. The hotter the pavement, the better stick they get all around.

WW

Jeff, I think that your review hit it right on the head.

In another post (Ride Reports I think) I stated that I would feel the transition point of the two compounds. I did not mention with casual riding. Harder riding the transition happens too fast and I dont feel it.

I was in Cali earlier this year and my bike was wearing PR2's. I had no problem coming out of a corner at 40 with the front "just" in the air as I finished the turn. I did however find a potentially slippery spot, ie: Paint, tar snake, or others known culprits to cause a waggle in the ass if I were at any significant lean angle. This caused me to concentrate on the road surface more than was warranted reducing my overall attention for other things

I pushed reasonable hard yesterday om the Mirror Lake Highway and the Alpine Loop (The one we rode together at WFO last year) The RS seemed to be better suited for my on the rear. But I just installed it so long term results will vary. I have only put 1000 on it so far.. I did hit some wet and it was stable like a rock.

It seems to play nice with the PPower front though. They really seemed to be happy together

... Curious where you would slip the Avon Storm into that lineup?
I would lay it just underneath the RoadSmarts with a slight adjustment to the Touring side. Guess that means I need to do a graphic.

:)
Boy, you were so awfully nice in that response, Jeff. I am hugely surprised at your tact. Now, maybe they should ask me what I think of them POS's.

Excellent review. But I still want to know why Fencer's girfriend was staring at you.
I am looking forward to trying the PR2. Should suit my type or riding well. But we shall see. I share your aversion to the original PRs. Haven't tried the Roadsmarts. And thought the Stadas good. But couldn't tell when the cords were about to show on the rear, and still liked the Azaros better.
It is good to hear the original PRs are junk, because that may explain some handling problems on my bike as I have one well worn one on the back with a roadsmart on the front, and soon to be replaced by a roadsmart rear. I'm a boarn again liberated cheap bastard and wanted the extra few weeks of commuting (500 miles per week). In tight corners I can feel the rear step out on me after it vibrates a bit and this is a long way from a footpeg drag. It almost feels like they put the harder rubber on the outside of the tread. Maybe the new tire will help, I think this weekend, the PR rear is down to wear bars now but still has about 80 mils of tread left. The worst is in the rain, that thing skates so well I'm surprised that I haven't run over a hockey mom yet. Say, do I get some kind of impotecon for doing that sort of imPalin?

...Boy, you were so awfully nice in that response, Jeff. I am hugely surprised at your tact. Now, maybe they should ask me what I think of them POS's.
A couple months ago I mentioned something about hoping to get into Heaven. My Mom suggested I get started right away as I needed a lot of prep time. Thought tire reviews would be a good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Storms on now and will probably get 9-10,000 out of them. Always got about 10,000 on the Azaros. I did over 4000 miles in one trip this summer and already had 2500 on the tires before the start. And as far as sport goes, these tires rock in the twisties and on wet pavement. Different strokes for different folks. It always easy to depict Avon haters on this site. Just an observation not a judgment.

Not only his tact, but his insight (NOTICE: I did not say incite!)

Since Jeff pushes his bike more than a good percentage of the riders here, if he says the Roadsmarts are THE tire for very spirited riding and mileage compared to the others he has tried and named, I believe him.

He has never said any tire was "bad", only what performance results he obtained while punishing them.

:clapping: :clapping: Thanks, Jeff. Yew dun gude! :clapping: :clapping:

I have different criteria and options because of my limited ability and need. But the input you provide is priceless for "real world" shoppers rather than track day afficianados.

Not only his tact, but his insight (NOTICE: I did not say incite!)
Since Jeff pushes his bike more than a good percentage of the riders here, if he says the Roadsmarts are THE tire for very spirited riding and mileage compared to the others he has tried and named, I believe him.

He has never said any tire was "bad", only what performance results he obtained while punishing them.

:clapping: :clapping: Thanks, Jeff. Yew dun gude! :clapping: :clapping:

I have different criteria and options because of my limited ability and need. But the input you provide is priceless for "real world" shoppers rather than track day afficianados.
Gunny++++++

...Boy, you were so awfully nice in that response, Jeff. I am hugely surprised at your tact. Now, maybe they should ask me what I think of them POS's.
A couple months ago I mentioned something about hoping to get into Heaven. My Mom suggested I get started right away as I needed a lot of prep time. Thought tire reviews would be a good place to start.
You obviously had a very smart mom.

Gosh, Jeff, your tire review has me scared to death!! Would you think that the PR2 rear is as slippery as the ME880 was?

So, now what am I going to do with the two sets of PR2's in the basement?

jim

...Gosh, Jeff, your tire review has me scared to death!! Would you think that the PR2 rear is as slippery as the ME880 was?

jim
Send them to me at a huge discount... :clapping:

...they are obviously no good to you anymore. :)

...Gosh, Jeff, your tire review has me scared to death!! Would you think that the PR2 rear is as slippery as the ME880 was?

jim

Well....one set to Wheaton and one set to ME! B)

jim

Well....one set to Wheaton and one set to ME! B)
OUCH...that shoehorn hurts!

:lol:

I had just purchased a set of PR2's when this review came out and originally said to myself, Oh my, I might have just purchased the wrong set of tires (I had PR's on at the time and had gotten good mileage and good service out of them). Then I reread the review and looked at all the positives that were weighed agaisnt the negatives and realized, that being honest with myself, I'm only a 75% rider (for the most part), so really the PR2's are just what I need.

Thanks for the review Jeff (and others that have chimed in); these tires work for me. The only observance is that the front seems slightly more buzzie than the old PR but I'm okay with that too.