Middle of the road($) Flip face helmet options...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I purchased a Vega Summit II and it is AWESOME!!. It is way lighter than my nolan n100, a lot less noise and opens and shuts way easier with just 1 button. Also, the faceshield stays cracked open at any position even at highway speeds! It has a lot more airflow than my Nolan and my Icon full face. The reviews about this helmet were very good BUT I must admit that I am more impressed with it in person.

WW

Has anybody tried the new EXL modular helmet?

I know you get what you pay for, but for $50...I could almost afford to trash it if it is a junk helmet.

Unable to locate reviews about the EXL helmet. Guess it's that new.

I just replaced my Nolan N100, I ordered the Caberg in a large and it was REALLY tight, I was afraid the XL would be too loose so I ended up getting the Nolan N102 size large. I like it but I don't care for that sun visor all that much. It puts a line right through my point of vision. If it was about 1.5 inches lower it would be perfect. Since the sunshade is on the outside you pretty much have to wear sunglasses anyway if you want to ride with the shield up.

I don't wear a flip myself, but my wife has a Scheuberth Concept and she loves it. Says it fits great, it has the interior tinted visor you can flip down, and she can smoke a cig while she's kicking back and cruisin' too! It seems like a very well constructed helmet to me. A bit heavier than what I'd like though. I just ordered a Scorpion EXO-700. If they make a flip, it probably be a good one to look at.

I've been using a Schuberth Concept for the past three years, and have had mixed feelings about it. I was turned on to it by a BMW rider (longstanding Schuberth/BMW German thing going on) who swore by his, but I have not had the same overwhelmingly positive results.

On the plus side, it's fairly comfortable for my big melon, and I love the internal flip down visor feature (which was arguably the selling point). I wear glasses and I commute to work, usually catching dawn going due east during the ride - it's very nice to be able to start in the dark and flip the switch when the sun comes up w/o worrying about sunglasses (and also the visor/sunglasses combo is killer for head-on sunset riding). The shield also has a nice feature (city riding, or something like that) whereby it can be popped away from flush w/ the helmet about a mm or so, just enough to allow some extra airflow through (though it tends to rattle in this position at higher speeds). Plus the flip up part means I don't have to remove glasses to slide said melon into the bucket (but since this is a flip-up thread, guess that's a gimme). High quality construction for the most part, other than the shield bitch below.

On the "not so much" side, it is not as quiet as I'd hoped. Also, on the rare occasion I want to ride with the shield flipped up to vent out for a bit, it'll slam shut after I hit about 30MPH (arguably in part due to my extended windshield/lip mucking with the airflow, but whatever - it irks me, man). Then the thing I thought was really piss-poor, the shield has an anti-fog film on the inside which I was impressed with at first, but started to delaminate and flake off once the weather got hot - guess the Germans aren't used to 95 deg at 95% humidity...

It was a bit pricey (think I paid around $350), but nothing compared to the new Schu C2. If I did it again, I think I'd probably find something else, but I'd miss the cool Top-Gun visor thing.

I had a Zeus Flip 2 years ago. I gave it away when I sold my Katana. it was pretty nice for a cheap helmet $100 IIRC. Noisy (relative) but with plugs no worries.

I tried the Caberg at a MC show. Didn't fit my head well and it had a stitch pattern across the ears that bothered me.

I know you get what you pay for, but for $50...I could almost afford to trash it if it is a junk helmet.

Same deal here. I wanted to try a modular helmet but didn't want to spend a bunch of money for an experiment. Bought EXL's "top of the line" 808 modular (there's a 608 and 708). As fate would have it it's well made, fits perfect and I like the modular design. So...I have this cheap, zerocoolpoints helmet that I love...whadaya gonna do?

https://www.motodirectusa.com/

EXL Website

Last edited by a moderator:
My old HJC has about had it, I liked that helmet so much I wore it out, the joints are getting loose and the front vent is broken. So I go shopping

found at extreme supply AGV GTO flip $114.95, regular $229.95 free shipping. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Hey that vega is a nice helmet. I had the opportunity to try one today while riding and must admit it's lighter and not as noisy as my HJC. The sheild detents feel kind of flimsy, but I think I may just pick one up.

Thanks WW.

:jester:

Same deal here. I wanted to try a modular helmet but didn't want to spend a bunch of money for an experiment. Bought EXL's "top of the line" 808 modular (there's a 608 and 708). As fate would have it it's well made, fits perfect and I like the modular design. So...I have this cheap, zerocoolpoints helmet that I love...whadaya gonna do?

EXL Website

Do tell.

Could you give a quick review? One big concern is loudness, and of course fitment.

EXL Website

Do tell.

Could you give a quick review? One big concern is loudness, and of course fitment.
I liked the EXL enough to order the optional smoke lens after receiving the helmet. I wear safety rated regular glasses so around town in the heat I use the tinted helmet lens in the partial up position. It works as a sun visor and no problem staying put. The helmet face snaps into place with an audible click, no movement, and releases with a single large button (glove accessible) behind the chin. Fit was a concern for me because I've worn different sizes from different manufacturers. There's a chart on the EXL website where you measure your head and it gives you their size. It was on the money for me. Nothing about the EXL annoys me after being worn all day so it passes my comfort test.

With the lens partially open the helmet is quiet, closed, things get significantly noisier but no worse than other helmets I've owned and better than some. Call me a skeptic but IMO if there was such a thing as a totally quiet helmet there wouldn't be all these after market windshields.

Haven't worn it in heavy rain and we're a long way from serious cold so I can't speak to those conditions.

What really matters though is that the silver helmet is a great color match for the light silver on the 04. Combine that with my light/dark silver trimmed Tour Master jacket, and I am one stylish mofo! :shades2:

I rode with a fellow FJR owner yesterday, and he was wearing an EXL flip helmet. He said he loved it, and paid around $60 for it.

See https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-199-DOT...1QQcmdZViewItem

JW
Hi JW, that was me! I think the one on ebay is the 608 model. Mine is the 808. You gotta spend the extra 20 bucks to run with the big dogs :p

Hey that vega is a nice helmet. I had the opportunity to try one today while riding and must admit it's lighter and not as noisy as my HJC. The sheild detents feel kind of flimsy, but I think I may just pick one up.
Thanks WW.

Bustanut Joker,

Well, I have to agree with you. I think it is one of the nicer helmets I have owned. Pretty light, nice interior, pretty quiet for a modular, vents very well, shield works really well, flips open and shut easily with the touch of 1 button. I usually buy a new helmet every year or two and have owned a large assortment of helmets over the past 20 years. Bell's, Nolans, Fulmer, HJC's ,Icon, Shoei's, ect ect... Now when you say "shield detents feel flimsy." Which part of the sheild are you referring? the opening and shutting? When I ordered mine, I ordered a dark smoke shield and changed it out right away. I found if you did not install the shield correctly, it did not pivot or change positions correctly...Too easy..Like my Nolan N100 does(with the shield installed correctly). But with it installed correctly, it stays open(cracked a little or all the way, or shut)very nicely even at highway speeds..It ratcheds as stiff as my Icon(which is pretty sticky I must admit). I just ordered a matching for my Old lady too! If you get one, I don't think you will be disappointed. Except for the SLOW BOAT from China they come on. It took mine a good two weeks to come from the U.S. distributor.

WW

I rode with a fellow FJR owner yesterday, and he was wearing an EXL flip helmet. He said he loved it, and paid around $60 for it.

See https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-199-DOT...1QQcmdZViewItem

JW
Hi JW, that was me! I think the one on ebay is the 608 model. Mine is the 808. You gotta spend the extra 20 bucks to run with the big dogs :p
Hey Lee ... our posts crossed before I saw yours ... plus it does make you look a whole lot better ... more sophisticated or sumthin' :rolleyes: lol

JW

Wicked,

The detents didn't feel as stiff as I am accustomed on the shield opening/closing,seemed a little loose. I'm going to get with my buddy that owns the lid and have him recheck it as he installed a different shield too.