mirror blind spot redux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnewlf

Reaction score
I think I have read everything on improving the FJR mirrors. Don't like spot mirrors or spoiling the FJR's clean lines by sprouting more mirrors or FZ1 mirrors. Anyhew it seems to me that the problem of the blind spot could be cured if the mirror glass or housing could be angled out more. I removed the nut on the mirror stud, the stack of cone washers, pulled the mirror off and removed the metal detent plate. Then put it back together with the cone washers all in the same direction plus one or two flat washers to make up the lost space. Now the mirror housing can be positioned slightly outboard to eliminate the blind spot and the view of my elbows. The fold away feature is lost but I never used it anyway and if you don't tighten the nut excessively the mirrors will still fold back under impact. Feel free to pelt me with fecal matter if this is old news..

Well, duh, I might have mentioned that the metal detent plate has to be left out on reassembly..

I think I have read everything on improving the FJR mirrors. Don't like spot mirrors or spoiling the FJR's clean lines by sprouting more mirrors or FZ1 mirrors. Anyhew it seems to me that the problem of the blind spot could be cured if the mirror glass or housing could be angled out more. I removed the nut on the mirror stud, the stack of cone washers, pulled the mirror off and removed the metal detent plate. Then put it back together with the cone washers all in the same direction plus one or two flat washers to make up the lost space. Now the mirror housing can be positioned slightly outboard to eliminate the blind spot and the view of my elbows. The fold away feature is lost but I never used it anyway and if you don't tighten the nut excessively the mirrors will still fold back under impact. Feel free to pelt me with fecal matter if this is old news..
Hmm! I am a new FJR owner ... and I immediately noticed that I could not adjust my left side mirror in a defensive position, i.e, angled farther out. I will try your solution to get around this.

Thanks!

How about some mirror extenders? SW Motech makes some nice ones that solve the issue completely.

Flash

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, duh, I might have mentioned that the metal detent plate has to be left out on reassembly..

shit-throwing.jpg

You were doing Ok till you mentioned forgetting the detent plate Bob...Hope I hit ya in the head! :lol:

I may have missed this somehow, but these look great. Has anyone gotten these, and how are they? Are they still as solid as the stock setup (?), because mine are pretty much vibration free, and I wouldn't like to lose that. . .

I may have missed this somehow, but these look great. Has anyone gotten these, and how are they? Are they still as solid as the stock setup (?), because mine are pretty much vibration free, and I wouldn't like to lose that. . .
I have them on my bike and they work great.

Flash

Flash
I'd have to agree, they do look good but a little pricey. I recently found an acceptable cure for the same dilemma. I'm 6'4" and I find if I point the mirrors outward so as too make use of as much glass as possible, I cannot see a car in my lane directly behind me. If I bring the mirrors in so that I can, there is an unacceptably large blind spot on both sides to the outside lanes plus have of the mirror is my jacket and hands. So, i bought a pair of those little sticky convex mirrors but not the ones that lay flat, rather these are on a little mount that allows you to change where they point. I found that if I bring the side mirrors inwards so that I have a good view of behind me and place the mirrors on a spot where my body was (so I am not losing anything), I can see a wide view with no blind spots and the little convex mirrors actually show cars passing me on either side right up until my peripheral catches them. A good fix for $3.

Flash

What are they made of. Nice solid metal that has been powder coated or cheap plastic? I'm sure all the hardware is included? Thanks.

Flash
Can you post a picture of them on your bike?

How about some mirror extenders? SW Motech makes some nice ones that solve the issue completely.

Flash
Wow thanks for this info - I have been looking around for an option as well since I do not like the FZ antler look. These may do the trick!

CLICKY
Oh holy shit!! I'm buying some of these. I'm so sick of looking at my elbows and moving my arm to look behind me. $65??? I've spent more than that doing something really stupid. I'll buy a set of these and post up the results. I like them better than the FZ1 mirrors, but may have to suck it up if these don't work.

Dang Smellthat...You're my new hero for the week.

I like them better than the FZ1 mirrors, but WILL have to suck it up WHEN these don't work.
Fixed. Really. Do yourself a favor and sit on somebody else's bike that has the FZ1 mirror set up.

Hey buddy, save your money and just get the OEM FZ1 mirrors. DONE.

Now you owe me a beer for saving you $$$. :clapping:

Flash
Wow thanks for this info - I have been looking around for an option as well since I do not like the FZ antler look. These may do the trick!

CLICKY
Oh holy shit!! I'm buying some of these. I'm so sick of looking at my elbows and moving my arm to look behind me. $65??? I've spent more than that doing something really stupid. I'll buy a set of these and post up the results. I like them better than the FZ1 mirrors, but may have to suck it up if these don't work.

I really cannot take credit - It was Flash that got me a searchin'! Mine don't get in until Friday so you may have yours before me. I should have impressions by next week though.

I like them better than the FZ1 mirrors, but WILL have to suck it up WHEN these don't work.
Fixed. Really. Do yourself a favor and sit on somebody else's bike that has the FZ1 mirror set up.

Haha...I woulda bought you a beer next week, but apparently you had something better to do. Makes me sad it does. Oh well, one of these days. Maybe while I'm at the camp meet, someone will have a bike with the FZ1 mirrors attached and I can take a look. This elbow thing is pissing me off.

Flash

CLICKY

I really cannot take credit - It was Flash that got me a searchin'! Mine don't get in until Friday so you may have yours before me. I should have impressions by next week though.
You'll definately have yours before I have mine. I won't be doing any ordering of anything until I get back from North Carolina. Let us know.

Amen brother. Wheatie speaketh truth.

AS to what are they made of......polyamide.... which is a strong nylon compound. :dwarf:

PS...Twisted Throttle seem to have the best price so far during my search. :detective2:

PS2... get HotRodZilla to pay for yours and the cost is even better! :yahoo:

:yahoo: Twisted Throttle is definitely fast. Ordered last night and the extensions are already with the mail service and the tracking number is with me. These things should give plenty of extra horsepower...... :rolleyes: ....or at least allow me to see who I have passed!