mirror blind spot redux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a FZ1 convert I dont get the extensions at all. First for what they cost you can have 1 FZ1 mirror plus shipping covered. Leaving you 57 bucks for the other mirror. I have a 10 and dreaded getting rid of those nicely color matched mirrors. I considered the extensions but then would have the black blocks against the silver fairing and the silver mirror and thought that would stand out pretty badly.

The FZ1 are the way to go IMHO and considering the cost of the blocks, seems like a better economical way to go.

I know I love mine.

I am lucky that the black extension blocks will match my '09. Your cost analysis escapes me as the two blocks shipped are less than two FZ1 mirrors shipped and will put the mirrors exactly ( I hope ) out the distance required to clear arms & elbows. :yahoo:

I am lucky that the black extension blocks will match my '09. Your cost analysis escapes me as the two blocks shipped are less than two FZ1 mirrors shipped and will put the mirrors exactly ( I hope ) out the distance required to clear arms & elbows. :yahoo:
That what I was thinking. Lemme know how those work out for you. Now I'm torn!

I just installed some FZ1's on my '07. BIG difference in viewing behind me. I can see wider and also see my Givi behind me, which I couldn't see before. They aren't black cherry color, but black pretty much goes with everything.

That what I was thinking. Lemme know how those work out for you. Now I'm torn!
Yes,

DEFINITELY spend the money...

twice, you dipshit

:rolleyes:

Just installed the Motech extenders and they are well worth it. They are a lot more sustantial than they look and everything remains rock solid, after the install. Completely changes and opens up the view to the rear.

Great to hear that, thanks!

Geez ...ordered them hours ago....where are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed the Motech extenders and they are well worth it. They are a lot more sustantial than they look and everything remains rock solid, after the install. Completely changes and opens up the view to the rear.
So suck that Wheaties! Ha! May not have to make my bike look like a bug. But if I buy those extender things and they suck balls, im gonna put you on my ignore list for 6 months. Just so I don't have to hear it...Haha!

So suck that Wheaties! Ha! May not have to make my bike look like a bug. But if I buy those extender things and they suck balls, im gonna put you on my ignore list for 6 months. Just so I don't have to hear it...Haha!

Why are you so ghey?

Why are you so ghey?
I'm not ghey...If I was ghey, you'd never go back to women. :eek:

Same here. I ordered these based on this thread, and the quality of the SW-Motech mirror extensions on my SV-650. I'm 6'2" and I was so tired of just seeing my shoulders and elbows even with the mirrors pushed full out. Now I actually have a useful range of adjustment!

Of course I have a couple loose nuts left over now, but I'm used to that.

Post some pics of them!!! :hyper:

Why are you so ghey?
I'm not ghey...If I was ghey, you'd never go back to women. :eek:
Or in Bust's particular case sheep.

Great they will match your bike.

Cost analysis is you are paying a HUGE amount for spacing blocks when for 50 some dollars more you could have mirrors that will still show a lot more rear end coverage then what you get with the blocks. As with anything a personal choice but spending less money is not always my first or best option when considering what I am getting for my money. Not knocking your choice, it just was not the choice I made. Some like chocolate, and some like vanilla. That is what makes the world go round.

Post some pics of them!!! :hyper:
Ansel Adams I'm not, but here goes:

img_1680_small.jpg

img_1678_small.jpg

img_1677_small.jpg

LAF,

Any pics of your mirror choice? Since the extenders are pictured on this thread, a comparison photo would be great.

PS...Is it true the unpainted 2010 is slower that the "so fast the paint burns black" 2009? :yahoo:

LAF,

Any pics of your mirror choice? Since the extenders are pictured on this thread, a comparison photo would be great.

PS...Is it true the unpainted 2010 is slower that the "so fast the paint burns black" 2009? :yahoo:
Sure on the pics.

From behind the trunk, and I think this says it all when it comes to function!

mirrors%20rear.jpg

And here is from the front/side a bit. Now mine is not a good example as I am using Saeng Spot mirrors so the front is a bit busy with those. I put up with them as they are the biggest, clearest, adjustable spot mirrors that are second to none for viewing your sides. Again a choice in function over form. However the FZ1 mirrors alone are IMHO a lot cleaner install and look better to my eyes each time I look at the bike. I forget what those Liquid Silver side mirrors look like on ;)

mirror%20front.jpg

I received my extenders in mail yesterday and took the time this morning to put them on. First I have to say what a huge difference these made in my ability to see what's in the rear! Very solid pieces of work, no additional vibration, and IMO much better option than the FZ antlers, which I hate.

Here is what you get

extenders1.jpg

Thread on the extender to existing bolt

extenders2.jpg

Make sure the extender is flush with the hockey puck

extenders3.jpg

Here is the left side on the bike

extenders4.jpg

Comparo between stock and extended - much improved!

extenders5.jpg

Both installed on the bike

extenders6.jpg

One word of advice - check the fit on the pucks before you start tightening anything down. I found my set were offset a bit so that they only went on a certain side - the stock rubber grommet would not line up on one of the pucks. This may be standard I don't know since from looking at them both pucks looked the same.

Like I said, a huge improvement and the ability to maintain the sexy stock mirrors with the ability to see behind you. I highly recommend these to those on the fence and do not like the antlers.