Mirrors on 07.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kango

Reaction score
Hi,

Two weeks ago I fitted GenMar rises, and after two 300klm rides found them great with regard to the position of the handlebars .

They have improved the riding comfort greatly.

The problem is that raising the handlebar height has put the image of my gloves and barends onto the mirrors,causing very restricted rearward vision.

Has anyone noticed this and thought of a way to rectify it, without resorting to fitting FZ1 mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to understand your question better so let me outline what I think you are saying:

1.) You installed risers on your bike.

2.) The risers have placed your hands in direct line with your mirror view.

3.) You want a solution other than replacing your mirrors.

:rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:

If you want a solution other than the FZ-1 mirrors, I don't remember ever reading of aftermarket mirrors made for the FJR. Even if they did make them, most are "closer" to the body work. Since Skyway has found that he can mount the Soltek HID mirror brackets to the NewGen bikes you might be able to add a 1/4" spacer beneath your mirror mounts, but that will give you minimal (read: imperceptible) adjustment to the mirror angle.

You could try aftermarket "bar-end" mirrors like some of the sportbikes use. IIRC, you'd have to remove the bar end weights. They should be available at CycleGear, etc., but that would make the bike "wider".

Hi Kango

The answer is simple - since the problem occurred with you raising your hand position UP - then simply correct problem by raising your bum position UP. Try sitting on a phone book. Bill Mayer or Sargeant provides phone books covered in attractive leather and synthetic non slip coverings to match the stock saddle.

If you go this route - please post us a ride report.

cheers, :)

Hi Kango
The answer is simple - since the problem occurred with you raising your hand position UP - then simply correct problem by raising your bum position UP.
Yes, but that will return his riding position, relative to his seat-shoulders-hands, to the very position he is trying to modify with risers. Assuming he installed the risers to rotate his body weight back from the bars he could simply (?!?!) remove the GenMar riser/triple tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to understand your question better so let me outline what I think you are saying:1.) You installed risers on your bike.

2.) The risers have placed your hands in direct line with your mirror view.

3.) You want a solution other than replacing your mirrors.

:rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:

If you want a solution other than the FZ-1 mirrors, I don't remember ever reading of aftermarket mirrors made for the FJR. Even if they did make them, most are "closer" to the body work. Since Skyway has found that he can mount the Soltek HID mirror brackets to the NewGen bikes you might be able to add a 1/4" spacer beneath your mirror mounts, but that will give you minimal (read: imperceptible) adjustment to the mirror angle.

You could try aftermarket "bar-end" mirrors like some of the sportbikes use. IIRC, you'd have to remove the bar end weights. They should be available at CycleGear, etc., but that would make the bike "wider".
Hi,

You are correct in the 1,2,3 above,fitting the risers has given me a good view of my hands when looking at the mirrors to see whats behind me.

I think the only option is to remove the risers and go back to the original position, which is a shame,because the risers do a good job comfort wise.

But with the idiots on the roads here ,having a good rearview is essential( 5 motor cyclists killed in the last 3 weeks) and 3 of them were hit from behind.

Have you considered Multivex Mirrors? I've just ordered some on the recommendation of other 07 owners.

www.multivexmirror.net

or just take the silly mirrors right off and buy one of these guys:
https://www.reevu.com/

My wife said that to ride a motorcycle safely, you need eyes in the back of your head.

Voila!
Checked this helmet out with the suppliers, it is available here shortly.

From the product readout it looks to do everything thatI want.

Thanks for the information.

The cost here is $650 Australian,shipping included.

I'm sericonsidering something like this Clicky to augment the OEM mirrors. Available for less than $100 at Wal-Mart and other retailers.

David

Hi Kango

aside from my being silly earlier - I'm quite interested in hearing how you find the Reevu helmet. They're not available in Canada - but they seem to combine genius, new technology and a whole new way of looking at an age old problem (no pun intended).

Please post a report if you go that route ..... I imagine it's one of those things that many folks will scoff at 'because we've never needed anything like that before'. Mind you - I'd really like to try one before I pass judgment.

ride safe - cheers - Bull

I love it when people ask how to fix unintended consequences of "improving" their bikes. Makes me even happier staying stock. "Perfect is the enemy of good." ;)

Seriously, I hope you find a suitable solution....

Hi,Two weeks ago I fitted GenMar rises, and after two 300klm rides found them great with regard to the position of the handlebars .

They have improved the riding comfort greatly.

The problem is that raising the handlebar height has put the image of my gloves and barends onto the mirrors,causing very restricted rearward vision.

Has anyone noticed this and thought of a way to rectify it, without resorting to fitting FZ1 mirrors.

i road for two plus years and finally switched to them, they do not look that bad, but the rewards are greater!

just do it!
slidebeforeandafter032.jpg

Hi Kango
aside from my being silly earlier - I'm quite interested in hearing how you find the Reevu helmet. They're not available in Canada - but they seem to combine genius, new technology and a whole new way of looking at an age old problem (no pun intended).

Please post a report if you go that route ..... I imagine it's one of those things that many folks will scoff at 'because we've never needed anything like that before'. Mind you - I'd really like to try one before I pass judgment.

ride safe - cheers - Bull
Thanks again for the info on the Reevu helmet,I will post again when the helmet is available here,which according to Reevu should be soon.

Hey kango....

bit off topic. But are you interested in a day run this coming Sunday...leaving from Ye Olde Narroginn Inne (Armadale). Will post times up a bit later (if you are interested that is).

And...back on topic, I would like to see your GenMars...ok?

Twisted throttle.com has mirror wideners for the fjr 1300 and the fz 1. They are in the sw-motech page @ $59.99

I bought and mounted a pair for designed for the fz 1 [ fits 04 thru 07 ]. They fit the 04 & 05 mirror stalks just fine, but will need a little shaving on the sides to make them look OEM for the 06 & 07.

The bolt mounting holes for years 04 thru 07 are the same. Maybe the same for earlier years too, haven't tried them.

On my 06 the mirrors moved out about an inch. I can now see what is and what isn't behind me.

Sorry, no pics.

Hey kango....bit off topic. But are you interested in a day run this coming Sunday...leaving from Ye Olde Narroginn Inne (Armadale). Will post times up a bit later (if you are interested that is).

And...back on topic, I would like to see your GenMars...ok?
Hi Steve,

Sorry cant make that run next Sunday,I am commited to a regular run,that we do every Sunday,usually about 6 of us.

Went out today and did 290 klms to try out a few adjustments on the bike and to try the new REMUS mufflers I fitted yesterday.

If you want to see the Genmars send me an email and we will work something out.

I could be wrong but...I don't think that the FZ1 mirrors will fit a 2007 FJR. I Had a 2005 FZ1 and a friend has a 2006 FZ1 and the mirror mounts for both FZ's are different than for the 2006-2007 FJR. I would look for some type of spacer as mentioned above.

Gary

AGirl has the FZ1 mirrors on her 07. If you look at one of her awesome ride reports you will see them in the pics.

Like Here!

JW