Missing Drive Shaft Oil Seal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledzepsteve

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need help with this: I removed my drive shaft for maintenance, cleaned it up but noticed that there is only a cir clip at the end that goes into the u-joint. There is no oil seal (#34) or washer (#35). The bike is an '08 and I have had it since new, and this is the first time I have removed the drive shaft. Is the seal really missing, or is the part diagram below wrong for my bike?

partimage.gif

I just ran down to the garage to check again, and I only see the cir_clip.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Dazed and Confused,

I think that Yamaha take some liberties with laying out the exploded views in the manual. The parts are shown in the right order, but maybe not in the most accurate proximity to the final assembled position. I've had my driveshaft out many times and the only thing attached to the drive end is the circlip you mention. The seal and washer reside at the other end (drive housing).

Take a look here at Mark's excellent help page:fjr-tips

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was following Marc's post to service the u-joint and have Moly 60 paste the splines and the u-joint. Excellent post!

I have noticed another post for an '08 where the owner asked about a build-up of oil/sludge around the u-joint dust cover and the kickstand area, and that is what I had. It looks like the moly paste from the factory was sprayed around by the spinning shaft, because there is no seal there.

My wife is picking up the rear wheel (new tire) today and she is going to ask the mechanic.

The splines on the seat looked pretty good regardless of the lack of a seal, and I ride in all weather.

-Steve

I was scared to scroll down after reading that....
oops, very funny comment!

So, the Guv' went and picked up my wheel for me and asked the mechanic about the seal on the drive shaft (u-joint end) and he said, no, there isn't one and the shaft is fine as is.

I'll, ahem, lube my shaft and put it back in the u-joint as is. I still think it is strange that there is no type of seal to keep moisture out, other than the moly paste itself.

The splines did look pretty clean considering (25k km and plenty of them in rain), so it does seem to be working.

Thanks for the help!

-Steve

It IS Friday, so I can't help myself..

'Inagadadivda, baaaaby, I found the aaaaanswer,

no seal on the driveshaaaaft, baaaaaby,

Won't water get on meeeeeeeeeee?'

Ooops, wrong rawk group, sorry! :lol:

ok that was really lame

:huh: