Mod to CeeBailey windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the only thing left to test, is to get my ass soaked in a thunderstorm to see if the spray is too much to bear. Any volunteers??? :D
What ever happened to the rain test?

khrome
Wow!!!

I can't believe this thread still has a heartbeat! Rain test was fine. LuvToRide now has my modified CB shield with the cutouts. It's one of the best pieces of work I ever did.

Rain that manages to pass through the holes, simply blows up the backside of the screen. There's very little water deposited on the screen itself. Most blows between the screen and your helmet.
Allthough I get told to use the search button, I do actually use it :glare: Now I guess I missed the post as to why you traded it off?

khrome

Allthough I get told to use the search button, I do actually use it :glare: Now I guess I missed the post as to why you traded it off?
I traded the 05 for an 07, and the old shield would not fit the new bike. Otherwise, I would still own that shield.

The Gen-II bikes have built-in ventilation that negates the need for the cutouts IMO. I'm currently running a CB +4w,+2h w/flip. I consider it the best all-around, all-season shield for the Gen-II bikes. But that's just my $.02

Any comments from the forum on the shape and size of the vent hole(s)?

I am considering whippin' out the Dremel tool over the winter and cutting out a vent. I read the whole post and searched the web and discovered that several windshield manufacturers do what Cal Sci does with the vent. I also noticed that Cal Sci has changed the vent arrangement from 2 vents for 03-05 shields to a single vent for 06-07. It probably has to do with fact that the W bracket changed shape for 2006. Interestingly enough, there are 2 different sizes of single vents in 2 different pictures on their site.

Dual hole and small single are shown here: https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

Large single is shown here: https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300.html

I have a CeeBailey +5+3 on my 05 and am considering a single vent in the middle. Size recommendations?

Any comments from the forum on the shape and size of the vent hole(s)?
I am considering whippin' out the Dremel tool over the winter and cutting out a vent. I read the whole post and searched the web and discovered that several windshield manufacturers do what Cal Sci does with the vent. I also noticed that Cal Sci has changed the vent arrangement from 2 vents for 03-05 shields to a single vent for 06-07. It probably has to do with fact that the W bracket changed shape for 2006. Interestingly enough, there are 2 different sizes of single vents in 2 different pictures on their site.

Dual hole and small single are shown here: https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

Large single is shown here: https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300.html

I have a CeeBailey +5+3 on my 05 and am considering a single vent in the middle. Size recommendations?
I recommend size and shape exactly as my old shield had. I did A LOT of testing with air blowing across the shield using round holes and odd shapes, increased the sizing with each increment. The shape and size I finalized on was very much on purpose. PM LuvToRide and see if she will trace them and fax to you. I bet she will for a beer at the next meet.

Whatever shape/size you land on, be sure to keep the edges as close to razor sharp as you are comfortable with. Every bit of radius/relief you apply to the cutout edges induces more turbulence. Also, maintain an angle to the opening cutouts that points directly back and slightly up, don't cut perpendicular to the opening shape.

Of course, all that is said IF you are as aerodynamically anal as I am. But it does add up.

I traded the 05 for an 07, and the old shield would not fit the new bike. Otherwise, I would still own that shield.

The Gen-II bikes have built-in ventilation that negates the need for the cutouts IMO. I'm currently running a CB +4w,+2h w/flip. I consider it the best all-around, all-season shield for the Gen-II bikes. But that's just my $.02
can you direct me to pics of your bike the the CB +4+2?

khrome

Tools I used:

Shield-tools.jpg

Protector made from a cheap mudflap. I cut the holes with the shield still on the bike.

Shield-protector.jpg

Taped up and ready to cut:

Shield-taped.jpg

Cut straight lines with the abrasive cutter:

Shield-straightcutter.jpg

Once straight cuts are made, do corners with a round bit:

Shield-afterstraightcuts.jpg

Finished in the garage:

Shield-finished.jpg

Static shot of the finished product:

MeAndMyFJR.jpg

In motion:

FJRfrom2oclock.jpg

New owner LuvToRide. You can just make out the cutouts, bike on the left:

S5000198.jpg

Look! Scabbies bike while it was whole... memories

But seriously, I've tried a couple of different shields on my bike & this is by far my favorite. If you need anymore pics, please PM me. I'd be glad to take some... or trace the holes for the mere cost of a beer.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this mod on my Cee Bailey +4 (I think). It seems to make a slight difference if any, but I still think that the Cee Bailey is not for me. I get too much wind up inside my jacket and it billows out. It doesn't do this on my any of my other bikes.

Has anyone tried making a Cal-Sci generation 2 cutout on a CB w/flip generation 2 screen? Just ordered a CB +2+3 w/flip and wanting to have information at hand in case it is needed. Those two holes look nice, but Cal-Sci added a smaller single opening for a reason on gen 2 models.

CB will be mounted on my '06AE; today I also ordered a N/Line dash and Garmin 2730 GPS.

Has anyone tried making a Cal-Sci generation 2 cutout on a CB w/flip generation 2 screen? Just ordered a CB +2+3 w/flip and wanting to have information at hand in case it is needed. Those two holes look nice, but Cal-Sci added a smaller single opening for a reason on gen 2 models.
CB will be mounted on my '06AE; today I also ordered a N/Line dash and Garmin 2730 GPS.
IMO, unless you are running a +4h or taller on a Gen-II, the holes are not necessary. The ventilation system added to the Gen-II fairing, provides the same back pressure relief as the holes I cut in the Gen-I.

IMO, unless you are running a +4h or taller on a Gen-II, the holes are not necessary. The ventilation system added to the Gen-II fairing, provides the same back pressure relief as the holes I cut in the Gen-I.
Thanks for the clarification. I have the OEM touring shield, and it's not so bad, so I'll skip cutting it. But I was thinking about it...