More Lights?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED

Reaction score
I don't have a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, so I'm reaching out for help....

I currently have a pair of PIAA 1100x's mounted under the mirrors. A few times a year, I plug in my Zumo. I would like to add an additional pair of PIAA 1100x's.

Would the extra pair of lights exceed the limits of the electrical system? (06 Model) :dntknw:

Thanks in advance.

Howdy all,

I asked this question last summer and didnt trigger any responses, so Ill try once more.

I am looking into adding a second set of PIAA 1100x's to the bike. How many spare amps are available for us to pull out of the second generations charging system?

Thanks

I'm just curious, but why not spend the money on ONE set of lights that does the job right and not worry about the second set? I just wired up the Baja Fuego HID's and can't imagine needing ANYTHING brighter than that! I'd have to be running around 180 mph to "outrun" them. Also, if you get a BMW R1200 GS Adventure :yahoo: , you have 720 watts to power things like...the lights of the Eifel Tower for instance...maybe a microwave.

If you're concerned about your power consumption go here: https://www.datelmeters.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=ent-home&uid=dxxedade129980917271&command=link--2-wireacdc.html

and install the appropriate one. Then you can monitor and start shutting things down if your demand surpasses your supply.

Howdy all,

I asked this question last summer and didnt trigger any responses, so Ill try once more.

I am looking into adding a second set of PIAA 1100x's to the bike. How many spare amps are available for us to pull out of the second generations charging system?

Thanks

Share a picture with us of how this looks.

Also, how does your PIAA 1100x's compare to the HELLA FF50's 12 V/55W?

I'm just curious, but why not spend the money on ONE set of lights that does the job right and not worry about the second set? I just wired up the Baja Fuego HID's and can't imagine needing ANYTHING brighter than that! I'd have to be running around 180 mph to "outrun" them. Also, if you get a BMW R1200 GS Adventure :yahoo: , you have 720 watts to power things like...the lights of the Eifel Tower for instance...maybe a microwave.

If you're concerned about your power consumption go here: https://www.datelmeters.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=ent-home&uid=dxxedade129980917271&command=link--2-wireacdc.html

and install the appropriate one. Then you can monitor and start shutting things down if your demand surpasses your supply.

Forward a picture so we can see what your light and bike setup looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forward a picture so we can see what your light and bike setup looks like.
I just got back from a ride so I'll try to get one posted up tomorrow. The guy I bought the Fuego's from also has them on his FJR and although they're a bit on the larger side of things (4" reflector) they look really good on the Feej. On the GSA they just look like they belong. Photo's tomorrow.......

Told ya so! The Fuego's ROCK!

As for the OP, I agree that two sets of the 1100x seems a bit *unusual*. But to directly answer your question more info is needed - how many watts do the 1100x's draw?

Told ya so! The Fuego's ROCK!
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, "ROCK" is an UNDERSTATEMENT! I light grass on fire as I drive by! I actually grilled a ribeye steak the other night while it was still on the cow with these things! They are EXACTLY what I was looking for and make me SO much more comfy riding 'round here at night...SW-Fog, first beer's on me...if you like I can warm it for you.

This is for Santa Fe Dreamin'

AJR_4716.jpg

AJR_4717.jpg

And one of my MOST important mods......

AJR_4719.jpg

The Guinness bottle opener is a great touch, that's for sure.

Skooter - the 1100's are 55 watts, I believe.

Yea, I love those things ! ! I told you they would be BRIGHT ! :lol: I love them on my FJR, prolly going to do the same set on the super tenere !! Ya got a cool bike there !!

Can you do a shot at night with your headlights, then another with the Baja turned on? I know it should look light night & day..... :blink:

Yea, I love those things ! ! I told you they would be BRIGHT ! :lol: I love them on my FJR, prolly going to do the same set on the super tenere !! Ya got a cool bike there !!

Can you do a shot at night with your headlights, then another with the Baja turned on? I know it should look light night & day..... :blink:
Sure, I'll do that tonight or tomorrow. I'll set the camera up with all the same settings and shoot it manual to try to get as accurate a rendition as possible. The difference between my headlights and Fuego's is, as you said, night and day. Hotrodzilla will attest to the same, as he's the one who helped me aim them...

Per No One's request, here are my lights at night. First low beams, then high beams, finaly high beams with Fuegos. There's a white spot fairly close in front of my bike because of a rise in the roadway, they're aimed for flat ground. For an idea of difference, look at the yellow center lines. All shots were taken at the following settings:

48mm focal length

f/5

1/6 second

ISO 3200 for "Low Beam" and "High Beam" shots

ISO 1600 for "Fuego" shot (ISO 1600 is twice as fast as ISO 3200, it's esentially the "film speed"...camera switched because of a setting I forgot I had it on to compensate for the bright lite [oops]. The Fuego shot would have been even brighter at the ISO 3200 setting picking up even more detail at distance)

Low Beam:

Lows.jpg

High Beam:

Highs.jpg

Fuego's:

Fuegos.jpg

Like I said at the beginning of the thread...ONE set of lights :bigglasses: that gets the job done right! :dribble: :beach:

I'd like to thank No One, in particular, for helping out with the Fuegos!

I don't use the PIAA's but I have a set of Phillip HID's under my mirrors and Moto lights mounted on my forks. At idle they will start to dischrge my battery because there isn't enough charge. I only use one set of lights at a time. I generally run with the Moto lights all the time. I'll only throw the HID's on when I'm at cruising speed on dark twisty roads with no traffic around to blind. As long as you don't sit idle for long periods of time you'll have no problems running both lights.

I don't use the PIAA's but I have a set of Phillip HID's under my mirrors and Moto lights mounted on my forks. At idle they will start to dischrge my battery because there isn't enough charge. I only use one set of lights at a time. I generally run with the Moto lights all the time. I'll only throw the HID's on when I'm at cruising speed on dark twisty roads with no traffic around to blind. As long as you don't sit idle for long periods of time you'll have no problems running both lights.
I'm on a BMW R1200GS Adventure which puts out quite a bit more juice...720 watts at 14volts vs. 590 watts at 14volts. I've not noticed a problem yet, though I'm gonna mount a ammeter to keep an eye on that, just in case. I've run the Fuegos, GPS, and heated gear (jacket liner, pant liner, and gloves) all together and haven't run into a problem yet...key word being "yet".