MotoGP Laguna Seca SPOLIER

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
Incredible race. Stoner & Rossi streaked away banging fairings and both riding beyond the edge. They soon had a 7 second lead on the rest and by lap 9(?) had opened it up to 11 seconds. They continued to pull away occasionally exchanging the lead but mostly with Rossi in front. Stoner eventually outbraked himself and fell off in the gravel at 2mph. He re-mounted and re-joined the race still in second place as they had pulled out 16 seconds on the rest by then.

Lorenzo had a duplicate of his high-side at Sepang flying upside down, high enough in the air to come down with snow on him. He landed heavily on his head again, and clutched at his ankle when he had finished sliding. He has broken bones in his foot again.

The final result:

Rossi

Stoner

Vermulen

Davizioso

Hayden

DePunier

Elias

Spies

Toseland

Edwards 14th (?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of whining today, even before the race, about the bad choice of compounds from Michelin. One guy said it was like trying to ride on bowling balls.

Lorenzo's high side is becoming a signature move.

For those that haven't been paying attention, Pedrosa is obvously out, but its because he withdrew yesterday to lick his wounds from last week's crash. It was game of him to give it a try, but probably wise of him to head home before the race.

In the post race interviews, Stoner, with Rossi present, said that he felt that some of the passing had not been clean. Rossi on the other hand made the comment in his interview that the overtaking had been fun. First whining I've heard from Stoner.

CBS had some agreement with Dorna I guess, because the CBS feed was ahead of the MotoGP feed by maybe 30 seconds. Even so, the MotoGP feed was commercial free as usual, so it was my preferred feed.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but earlier in the season Rossi and Stoner were having moments of friendly banter and hand shaking at the end of races. This dropped out a few circuits ago, and with today's dig from Stoner about the passing not being clean, I wonder if we're on our way to a Rossi - Biaggio style that eventually turns to disrespect. I hope not.

FWIW, the commentators thought the passes were clean. I personally thought that the passing was the most aggressive I've seen in a while, and that if it had not been Rossi and Stoner, one or both of them would have gone down sooner than the 25th lap. It was very aggressive by both parties, and I think Rossi could have made the same comment had he been so inclined.

Now the break, and August 17th we're back at BRNO.

What a race, the best I've seen in quite some time.

Very cool to see the throttle displayed & how Stoner would be WFO sooner than Rossi yet behind him on the track exiting corners, Ducati electronics must be a bit ahead or Casey is much more trusting in them than Rossi is in the Yamaha. Great racing & I hope it continues. :clapping:

The final result:Rossi

Stoner

Vermulen
And something that shows how insane Rossi & Stoner were going at it, is that there's 39.7 seconds between Rossi & Vermulen. Almost forty frigging seconds! They were going at it like two wet cats in a bag.

Stoner had more HP and was really pushing the bike, but Rossi was smoother and had better lines. I think Rossi knew he had to keep the Ducati behind him and preserve his tires for the endgame as much as possible for whatever Casey could pull at the end. That was a really good start from him, as Rossi normally is so-so at his starts.

Early in the race I thought for sure Rossi was off at the corkscrew, as he did a little offroading there, and amazingly enough kept it on 2. Stoner was clearly frustrated not to be able to get past Rossi, until he just pushed the issue in a corner where Rossi was able to close the door. I think Casey's comment might be pure frustration.

Heck of a lot better than the last!

Great racing. Rossi now 1 full win clear at the top of the table, with Pedrosa 16 points further back.

Interesting that Pedrosa sat it out, and if you look at the way Lorenzo's season has gone after his first big crash you have to say that Pedrosa is being smart. Take a break, let the body heal. Lorenzo has been pushing very hard since his crash, in my view resulting in more crashes.

BTW - the gaps were: Rossi to Stoner 13.1 seconds, Rossi to Vermeulen 26.6 seconds (Stoner to Vermeulen 13.5 seconds)

1 V. ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team 44'04.311

2 C. STONER AUS Ducati Team + 13.001

3 C. VERMEULEN AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 26.609

4 A. DOVIZIOSO ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP + 34.901

5 N. HAYDEN USA Repsol Honda Team + 35.663

6 R. DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP + 37.668

7 T. ELIAS SPA Alice Team + 41.629

8 B. SPIES USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 41.927

9 J. TOSELAND GBR Tech 3 Yamaha + 43.019

10 S. NAKANO JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini + 44.391

11 J. HACKING USA Kawasaki Racing Team + 46.258

12 S. GUINTOLI FRA Alice Team + 55.273

13 A. DE ANGELIS RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini + 55.521

14 C. EDWARDS USA Tech 3 Yamaha + 1'02.380

15 L. CAPIROSSI ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 1'08.207

16 M. MELANDRI ITA Ducati Team + 1'10.962

17 A. WEST AUS Kawasaki Racing Team 1 Lap

I had not watched much MotoGP in the past but I am hooked. Rossi and Stoner are incredible.

Does anyone have the video package from the MotoGP web site. I'm thinking about signing up.

b

I have been watching MOTOGP non stop for a few years. This was the most memorable, hart pumping race I have seen. I think Stoner is a bit on a whinny side. It is racing and I think Valentino did not do anything any other rider of that caliber would have done. It was aggressive, but clean in my opinion.

And as was said if it was someone else they would have been history long before mid race.

Looked like Valentino was riding like a train on a rails, while a Stoner was all over the track. I would like to think that it was more of Rossi's cool style and more advanced skills. :)

As a typical greedy 'merican, would have been nice to see some of our boys dicing for the win, but, today, Rossi and Stoner were clearly the class of the field. My mouth is wattering to see the big show in Indy.

I've seen a few MotoGP races and this one was the best so far. Passing from the get go! Sounds like Stoner is whining a bit. Wonder if he wants some cheese with that WHINE? No dirty passes that I saw. Can't wait to see the next race.

TOm

No direct comments about Spies performance? He did 8th overall, ahead of some of the regular names. I know being familiar with the track has it's advantages, but seems like he held his own with the big boys.

Of course I did not see the race, so I'm looking for more detailed input.

Great racing. Rossi now 1 full win clear at the top of the table, with Pedrosa 16 points further back.
Just to clarify what you probably have said by implication... Rossi is first at 212, followed by Stoner 25 points back at 187, followed by Pedrosa 16 points further back at 171.

Here is a bit more of Casey whinging about being spanked by Valentino.
BBC Sports

What a Nancy!!!
Nice interviews. Thanks for sharing them.

Rossi had been whining earlier. In several recent races Rossi has implied that Ducati was cheating, so there is plenty of whining to go around.

Rossi's point that he didn't touch him is a good one... I think they both rode aggressively. Stoner couldn't get by, and he was frustrated enough to eventually screw up.... "Note to self: Never grab a handful of front brake in the gravel."

No direct comments about Spies performance? He did 8th overall, ahead of some of the regular names. I know being familiar with the track has it's advantages, but seems like he held his own with the big boys.
Of course I did not see the race, so I'm looking for more detailed input.
He rode a helluva race. He was in 7th, but, got passed on the last lap. Was a very good showing. Track familiarity goes out the window when you get to that level as they have over 4 hours of time on the track prior to the race. In a way, it could almost be a deterrent for Ben and Jamie as they have to make adjustments throughout the weekend with brake markers, turn in points, and when you get on the juice out of the turn. Not sure what happened to Edwards. He's had a few good weekends coming up to this race, but, just didn't have it today.

Wow! best race I have seen in quite a while! I wish stoner wouldnt have cried about what was very good riding by the doc. Very unmanly IMO. He is too reckless and I think Rossi might finally have his number. get in front and make him take chances.