Motorcyclist mag pans FJR-AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Included in the November issue of Motorcyclist is a comparo of the FJR-AE, ST1300ABS, and K1200GT. In their ranking the FJR was 3rd, the BMW 2nd, and the ST1300 1st.

They are not fans of the computerized clutch. If a manual clutch FJR had been in the mix the ranking would have been different.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features...photo_outtakes/

Article is not on-line.

It would seem that many reviewers don't have an open mind about the AE. They are predisposed to dislike it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah? Well they weren't crazy about the Hondamatic 750 either, and look what happened to....ohhhh :unsure:

Included in the November issue of Motorcyclist is a comparo of the FJR-AE, ST1300ABS, and K1200GT. In their ranking the FJR was 3rd, the BMW 2nd, and the ST1300 1st.
No worries... it's not like Motorcyclist is a magazine to be taken seriously.

Like the majority of American moto-rags, it's just a typically worthless advertisement platform for manufacturers and vendors; reading it should be considered for entertainment purposes only.... :glare:

Like the majority of American moto-rags, it's just a typically worthless advertisement platform for manufacturers and vendors;
+1 - one of the few exceptions to this rule is Roadracing World. But they're prolly not planning a ST comparison anytime soon! :p

Anyway, when I read the magazine comparisons, I'm much more interested in learning about the features of each model. Whether they rank the bike I ride first or dead last is irrelevant to me. Why would I buy what THEY liked, when what's important to me is what I like? :huh:

True-dat on the Moto-rag, but...

The ST has never beaten the FJR in any previous review. And the FJR was significantly updated for 06. The ST got what, a new paint color?

So, what are the bitching about, the clutchless tranny? WTF other clutchless tranny were they comparing it to? Hellllllooooooooo?? :dntknw: :dntknw: :dntknw:

-BD

I've read several of these comparisons now with Yamaha, BMW, Honda, Triumph's sport touring rides. They have always used Yamaha's AE in the comparisons and I don't understand why. Not that there's anything wrong with having an AE, but why would you compare it to clutch versions of the other makers. I don't get it. They always say in the articles too that their results would not have been any different with the clutch (A) model. I don't buy it.

I wonder if the Motorcyclist reviewers are from Consumer Reports. They put anything that says Honda on top even if it was a turd with wheels on it. Funny thing, I just let my subscription run out for Motorcyclist. Guess the next time I'm in Borders, I'll check it out to see why we came in last.

I agree with Windjammer. I like what I like and ride what I like. To me, the Honda ST1300 is a scooter on steroids.

You guys with subscriptions, please send them an email or respond on your disagreement with their fiindings. As Brundog said, "The ST has never beaten the FJR in any previous review. And the FJR was significantly updated for 06. The ST got what, a new paint color?" A very good point to make to the editors.

Obviously, they failed to do the forum famous "speed-shifts-per-second-while-on-centerstand" test, and thus the low score.

I get a cup of coffee at Border's & catch up on all of the MC mags, including the Brit ones. Brit mags are way more entertaining, trying to get everything 'sorted' so their readers don't have to try 9 things to get the one that works, & they also seem to call a spade a spade, sometimes not very nicely. If something is a lame turd on wheels they'll probably say so...

The US mags, on the other hand, seem to go out of their way to not piss off any manufacturer. I usually enjoy reading them just to see who's getting the BJ this month.

My only subscription to a MC mag is for MCN. Saw some back issues at a Beemer rally in Ohio, got a half off deal on the price, & am pretty happy after 15 months (9 more till renewal). I find it more factual than the other mags.

I wonder if the Motorcyclist reviewers are from Consumer Reports. They put anything that says Honda on top even if it was a turd with wheels on it.
Dear God, please--anybody with photoshop. I'm begging you. I gotta see it!

I grew up on Honda--XR80, XR250R, XL500, CB1000 Custom.

They made nothing I would ride now. I wanted to buy a Honda, but the only thing that caught my interest was the CB900--and it sucks....

I took a huge mental leap buying a Yamaha, and I'll never look back.

The FJR may not be perfect, but I can't figure out what's wrong with it....

a turd with wheels on it.
Dear God, please--anybody with photoshop. I'm begging you. I gotta see it!
Ask and ye shall receive....

turd.jpg
:haha:

RadioHowie....didn't think you had it in for Skooter.....guess I was wrong :blink: (just trying to stir the pot a little) :lol: ......

Obviously, they failed to do the forum famous "speed-shifts-per-second-while-on-centerstand" test, and thus the low score.
Yes they did. I've got an excerpt of the Motorcyclist review right here:

was warming the 2006 FJR 1300AE bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, the grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on the metal slider which broke the frame causing the Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear the wimpy horn and there was no grease on the spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom. It felt like someone, wearing a leather glove, was hitting me on top of the head--Hard!

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Last Place! Worst Sport Tourer Ever Made!

Scythian. Dude. You are on a f***ing roll tonight. Yer killin me, son!

Just what the hell are you drinking? Cause I want some.

Having had an '03 FJR (turkey cooker), '04 STzzzz and now my '06 FJR I must say that, for me, my '06 FJR is about as close to perfect a stock bike as I've ever had (out of 78 bikes, so far....). I put Grip Puppies on the FJR and am waiting for a Sargent saddle, but other than those items I am totally pleased with my current FJR.

OTOH my STzzz was probably the perfect bike from the factory; she was soooo good she was actually kinda boring and definately could not keep up with an FJR...in a straight line. Thru curves tho the bike was remarkably competent and the FJRs certainly ain't chopped sushi in curves!

Not having ridden an AE model I can't comment on the shifting, but it does seem like the answer to the question nobody asked! Curves and manual shifting are a large part of 2wheeled FUN, IMhO. DFO :D

>>They have always used Yamaha's AE in the comparisons and I don't understand why.<<

Likely because that's what Yamaha hands them to test.

As for these comparo results.... Cycle World chose the BMW over the FJR. Help me. I'm going to jump.

Oh, wait... MCN to the rescue. It chose the FJR over the BMW. I can climb back down now....