"Muzzy...noot so bad after all" Revisited

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Itsa gonna be louder, fer sure. The ones I heard at WooFoo weren't as loud as the Holeshot, as I recall.

I understand that Rad...I've got a Vance & Hines on my euro CB1100F, & over 3500 rpm it will wake up the neighbourhood....so I pack it very heavily before the start of every season....but with no Muzzy suppliers up here I just wanted to hedge my bets...that's all....

Note: FJRFencer was with me at Deal's. We swapped bikes for a run. I ran at a faster pace than he did and never touched a peg on his bike. He ran mine and got seriously spooked when the pipe caught in a right hander. And yes...he knew the pipe was an issue...I did not throw him under the bus for science's sake!
It got a big WTF from me! I did not want to run a bike hard that was not mine for a JIC moment. I touched the pipe down easily and went to cruiser mode for the rest of the run. We compared the placement of his mid pipe to my stock. The Muzzy pipe STARTS where the stock pipe ENDS. They just have the bends in the wrong place. Its a full 2.5 inches futher out than stock. I will say that MSC can RIDE. Don't look for him in my vids unless he is slowing down for me. My best run at the gap was 14:20, (9.5 miles) MSC was always at the end having a nap by the time I showed up

So, is there agreement that the problem has been fixed for the first gen. FJRs? I have a set in the box in my living room waiting for me to get home from South Carolina so I can install them.

So, is there agreement that the problem has been fixed for the first gen. FJRs? I have a set in the box in my living room waiting for me to get home from South Carolina so I can install them.
I wish I had an answer for you. I don't know. My 06 'aint sat.

So you would say it's twice as loud or more?....
Aww, for cryin ewt lowd laddy, put the bleedin things on yer very own skooter and find ewt for yerrself!
Only got one exhaust pipe from them sunny jim... :blink: .....you know 4-2-1... :derisive: ..

So you would say it's twice as loud or more?....
Perhaps 1 7/8 would be more like it, maybe 1 15/16.
Only askin because if it is real loud, I would repack the muffler before I install it....but I got the pipe for weight loss, then performance (if any)....but I don't like loud....my preference has always been stealth....plus it's not available up here so changing the muffler isn't an option....at present....so Rad...what do think 1 11/12's?
Did you order the quiet core insert? It's $50 option. Mine has it and isn't excessively loud at all.

Does the quiet core help if scrape more softly?

WTF - start a volume thread you guys!

Does the quiet core help if scrape more softly? WTF - start a volume thread you guys!
"Yes Dear".... :p .....Oh ya.....& sorry for the slight hijack of the thread MotorSWATcop.....

Last edited by a moderator:
That's bullshit. You know, it frosts my ass that people just "design" stuff for bikes - freakin' death rockets, at that - without that design ever even being in the same room as a computer, let alone been tested in the real world, before being sold to the general public!! WTF is wrong with people? What is Muzzy, another Billy Lane where the only tool in the box is a hammer?

Bad, bad, bad, IMO. I would be fiercely pissed if I were you that they put your life in jeopardy. I'll be staying clear of their offerings and this validates why I am going with Dale Walker's header.

-BD

That's bullshit. You know, it frosts my ass that people just "design" stuff for bikes - freakin' death rockets, at that - without that design ever even being in the same room as a computer, let alone been tested in the real world, before being sold to the general public!! WTF is wrong with people? What is Muzzy, another Billy Lane where the only tool in the box is a hammer?
Bad, bad, bad, IMO. I would be fiercely pissed if I were you that they put your life in jeopardy. I'll be staying clear of their offerings and this validates why I am going with Dale Walker's header.

-BD
Well just to burst your bubble Brundog, I have the full holeshot system and i sraped my headers the first time i took a right hander hard. I did have the rear shock set to soft but even so.

Neadless to say the shock is now set to hard and will stay there.

Richard

Well just to burst your bubble Brundog, I have the full holeshot system and i sraped my headers the first time i took a right hander hard. I did have the rear shock set to soft but even so.Neadless to say the shock is now set to hard and will stay there.

Richard
Did your peg feeler touch before the pipe? That's a key question. My Muzzy system started to lift the rear tire in a right hander and the peg never touched the pavement.

I'm going to see how Muzzy handles this. I have left a message this morning for them to call me and have contacted them through their support link. I'm hoping that I just mistakenly got a pre-re-designed system. If it looks like it is going to drag out like the prior situation did (SilverBullet), I am just going to bail and send it back. I will not be happy about the lost time but what am I going to do? Hopefully, this was a mistake and can be handled quickly and reasonably. I would hate to think that a company would knowingly place a product in a customers hands that they knew was dangerous. At the very least, they have been aware of this since July 2006 assuming the FJR Forum thread introduced the problem. I contacted them about the clearance issue in December of 2006 and was told of the redesign.

Well just to burst your bubble Brundog, I have the full holeshot system and i sraped my headers the first time i took a right hander hard. I did have the rear shock set to soft but even so.Neadless to say the shock is now set to hard and will stay there.

Richard
Did your peg feeler touch before the pipe? That's a key question. My Muzzy system started to lift the rear tire in a right hander and the peg never touched the pavement.

I'm going to see how Muzzy handles this. I have left a message this morning for them to call me and have contacted them through their support link. I'm hoping that I just mistakenly got a pre-re-designed system. If it looks like it is going to drag out like the prior situation did (SilverBullet), I am just going to bail and send it back. I will not be happy about the lost time but what am I going to do? Hopefully, this was a mistake and can be handled quickly and reasonably. I would hate to think that a company would knowingly place a product in a customers hands that they knew was dangerous. At the very least, they have been aware of this since July 2006 assuming the FJR Forum thread introduced the problem. I contacted them about the clearance issue in December of 2006 and was told of the redesign.
I just bought the system in the GB, though it hasn't arrived yet. I bought it ONLY because I read the reports here that they had redesigned the system to address that problem, and I reasonably ASSUMED that their redesign had indeed fixed the problem. IF it was fixed, it sounded like THE pipe for the FJR for me. The way they handled SilverBullet's problem, though it took time, seemed to be the stand up and smart way to do it. But if they didn't get it fixed, didn't have the redesign thoroughly tested, etc., then adjectives like "stand up" and "smart" don't fit.

MSC, I hope you're right, and that somehow, you erroneously got a pre-redesign pipe that they can promptly replace. Eagerly awaiting the results of your inquiries/complaints.

As of 1130 hrs Central, I have received no response to my e-mails or return phone calls. I have left 2 voice messages this morning.

Sent this query to last night after reading that this issue has been raised again.

Muzzy Order - 2005 FJR1300 Exhaust

Hello again Mike, can you please contact Muzzy re my order. There seems to be some question if they have fixed the problem of the pipe scraping. Please click on the attached link and you will see it has been well discussed in the FJR Forum.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=184763

and here

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=214325

Thanks John

The response I received from Mike Kolstad at Universal re the 4 into 1 Stainless system I ordered.

"Yes, they took care of that problem last year after we sent the first 3 that we ordered back to them. They said they've fixed the problem and that we're getting the new design."

Richard

I just bought the system in the GB, though it hasn't arrived yet. I bought it ONLY because I read the reports here that they had redesigned the system to address that problem, and I reasonably ASSUMED that their redesign had indeed fixed the problem. IF it was fixed, it sounded like THE pipe for the FJR for me. The way they handled SilverBullet's problem, though it took time, seemed to be the stand up and smart way to do it. But if they didn't get it fixed, didn't have the redesign thoroughly tested, etc., then adjectives like "stand up" and "smart" don't fit.

MSC, I hope you're right, and that somehow, you erroneously got a pre-redesign pipe that they can promptly replace. Eagerly awaiting the results of your inquiries/complaints.
" Standup" and "smart" are not the first words to come to mind when I think of Muzzy. They made several promises that they failed to keep and hardly ever returned my calls. Remember, I had to pay Yoshimura to fix their mistake.

This whole scenario speaks loudly of Muzzy's integrity as well their product engineering.

As of end of business today, I got not reply from Muzzy. No phone reply, no e-mail reply. I guess this continues until Monday. I'm not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling I had when the pipes arrived...

I'm probably going to just pull the system over the next 2 mornings and try for a refund. Luckily I didn't shitcan or sell the stockers.

As of end of business today, I got not reply from Muzzy. No phone reply, no e-mail reply. I guess this continues until Monday. I'm not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling I had when the pipes arrived...
I'm probably going to just pull the system over the next 2 mornings and try for a refund. Luckily I didn't shitcan or sell the stockers.

Well, Muzzy WAS at the top of my list. I liked the single can theory and look and, ever the optimist, I thought they had come around to backing up their product and providing good customer service.

BUT, this is just bullshit. You can't talk to a live person when you call and they don't even give you the courtesy of a return call or email. Not to mention they evidently still have a poorly designed and/or built product.

F 'em. If I was you I'd backcharge the credit card and tell them they can either pick up the pipes or pay for the return shipping (in which case if they're nice about it I'd pack them up and send them back. If not, they can arrange to get the pipes themselves).

Bill

Monday will be the deciding day for me. I will contact my bank and see what I can do as I charged the system to my Visa Debit/Credit card. I am specifically looking to speak with Curt Dorn because he was the sales/technical person I dealt with. If I don't hear from him on Monday, I wil try to move up the food chain. The system will be removed w/in a day or two. I was really hoping that this could be worked out because, w/ the exception of the clearance issue, I love everything the syatem provides. I t sounds awesome in my opinion and the performance gains are super. It looks good as well. I bought the FJR because I wanted a bike that I could push harder than my Goldwing. The FJR has been the perfect bike for my riding style. Comfortable on long hauls and capable when ridden aggressively.

I have studied and practiced performance riding for several years now. I have gone to the schools and am a trained police motor officer. Hell, that school was 80 hours long. I am fully capable of riding the Dragon w/o ever touching a peg at speed. Plain and simple, there is a clearance issue with the Muzzy system for the 06 FJR. I just want it resolved one way or another. I also don't want anyone else to possibly be hurt when they change locations and the circumstances require a hard lean to the right to negotiate a turn. No way that a hard part should contact the roadway before a peg!

I will keep you informed.

Monday will be the deciding day for me. I will contact my bank and see what I can do as I charged the system to my Visa Debit/Credit card. I am specifically looking to speak with Curt Dorn because he was the sales/technical person I dealt with. If I don't hear from him on Monday, I wil try to move up the food chain. The system will be removed w/in a day or two. I was really hoping that this could be worked out because, w/ the exception of the clearance issue, I love everything the syatem provides. I t sounds awesome in my opinion and the performance gains are super. It looks good as well. I bought the FJR because I wanted a bike that I could push harder than my Goldwing. The FJR has been the perfect bike for my riding style. Comfortable on long hauls and capable when ridden aggressively.
I have studied and practiced performance riding for several years now. I have gone to the schools and am a trained police motor officer. Hell, that school was 80 hours long. I am fully capable of riding the Dragon w/o ever touching a peg at speed. Plain and simple, there is a clearance issue with the Muzzy system for the 06 FJR. I just want it resolved one way or another. I also don't want anyone else to possibly be hurt when they change locations and the circumstances require a hard lean to the right to negotiate a turn. No way that a hard part should contact the roadway before a peg!

I will keep you informed.
Thanks, Mike. I was hoping the system would give me exactly what you were seeking (and apparently found in all but one of its attributes) BUT obviously without compromising the bike's cornering ability and creating a safety issue. With your background, it's a LOT easier to be confident we have the kind of tester on the bike that Muzzy should have had on it before they released the design or redesign for sales. Will be eagerly following this thread and your reports.