My Least Expensive Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
So, as a "maturing" (and therefore increasingly crabby :angry: ) Baby Boomer, one of my beefs with designers of merchandise that carries words or numbers (take cell phones, for example) is the illegibility of the information--I can't read it! (This will change, BTW, as the Boomers dominate the world in the next two decades.)

But in the mean time we have to cope as best we can. With regard to the illegible size of the numbers on the speedometer of the FJR, which I cannot for the life of me read, particularly when cruising down the freeway (at the speed limit, natch), I have found an inexpensive and quick solution: White-Out.

I have put a dab of White-Out on the outter nacelle (I just wanted to use that word) at 60, 80, 100, and 120 (photo). These four points give me all the information I need at a glance for my typical riding situations (though of course I never need the dots >80, because that would be over the speed limit :rolleyes: ).

349788866_fe534e3ec4.jpg

Anyone else got a funky farkle to share (no turds please; if that's what you want, here's where you belong: Click :lol: )?

Jb

Get some Lasik, glasses, something! You got to be kidding right?! If you can't see or recognize the speedo numbers, you shouldn't be on a bike!
Out here on the Left Coast, riding and commuting on the freeways, those are just numbers on the dial. I've been tailgated at 80 mph by a latte' holding, SUV driving young lady who was in more of a hurry than I was. (I pulled out of that lane at the first opportunity.) A quick glance when you spot "The Man" is all you need and the "dots" might help ID your speed.

Sorry, but the smallish numbers on the FJR speedo are hard for me to read, too. One of the reasons I wear bifocal sunglasses while riding during the day.

Maybe hang one of these over the speedo: I know it's for a GPS, but CycleGadgets has them for $32.

Or put them over the dots -- the dots should be very easy to see with this (approximately twice as large)

;)

RAM-MAG.jpg

Hmmm... any chance of doing those in a phosphorescent or reflective paint so they would show at night? How about super gluing a small piece of reflector tape?

So, as a "maturing" (and therefore increasingly crabby :angry: ) Baby Boomer, one of my beefs with designers of merchandise that carries words or numbers (take cell phones, for example) is the illegibility of the information--I can't read it! (This will change, BTW, as the Boomers dominate the world in the next two decades.)

James, you're so right about the size :unsure: of numbers the manufactures are using on instruments today. remember the cars from the '60's with speedo numbers a half inch :good: tall. I wear reading glasses to see up close, but I can still operate a motorcycle quite well :eek:k: ...thank you very much. Thing is with the FJR when you're really "gettin-after-it" :download: the tach needle moves so quickly I gotta concentrate on the red zone so much that quick glances at the speedo usually result in a mystery :wacko: readout. While riding through Alberta and Montana this last summer, I put down hundreds of miles in the 110 - 120 MPH speed range. Often I would lean beyond that speed, but when asked how fast I've had it up to I can't honestly say. I wasn't about to "stare" at the speed-o at that velocity :russian_roulette: just to comprehend a number. I think its a brilliant, and inexpensive Farkle

I wear bifocals and they don't help in this case. Your idea is genius in its simplicity. Bringing my white out home from work tomorrow!!! :)

Hmmm... any chance of doing those in a phosphorescent or reflective paint so they would show at night? How about super gluing a small piece of reflector tape?
How about some Glow-in-the-dark stickers instead of the paint? :dntknw:

I like the white out solution. That's good. My eyes aren't quite that bad yet, but I'm on the way. I found these bifocal reading glasses from White Horse Gear that did the trick for me. Especially on rallies, I carry both clear and smoke versions. I can finally read my gps and the maps in my tankbag again!

Clicky here

Get some Lasik, glasses, something! You got to be kidding right?! If you can't see or recognize the speedo numbers, you shouldn't be on a bike!

ahh.... your time will come! <G>

I've have cataract surgery.... Not only do I need bifocals for regular reading, I need drugstore glasses for inbetween puter stuff... which is exactally the same distance that the the GPS is located on the bike...

the dots are a great idea....

BUT.... I can see distance just fine... just not how fast I'm going! :rolleyes:

Mary

I found the cop is usually more than willing to tell me how fast I was going.... :blink: And I never even had to look down and squint! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not sure it is strictly about getting older, but I like the idea of a couple of bright white dots on the speedo and the tach for reference at a quick glance. When I'm riding hard I don't like to take my eyes off the road any longer than necessary.