My quiet FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stealth is it. Last week we were between Naches and Yakima. My buddy was on his red Sprint ST with an after market pipe and I was about a mile behind. A state trooper made a u-turn acrosss the median right in front of me and gave him a ticket for 5 over. We were both going the same speed. He was on one of them crotch rockets. Profiling is the rule and sound is one of the markers.

Phil

Personally like the sound of aftermarket pipes on the FJR. Not real loud, just deep and mellow, plus they weigh a lot less. I put Dale Walker cans on my FJR and rode many miles with them. Not a problem at all for me. Windage created a lot more buzz in the ears than pipes. I don't see how any of the aftermarket mufflers for the FJR would anger someone. They aren't that loud. Exceptions might be the ones that have removeable baffles (Blueflame?)

OTOH, I also enjoy the sound of my GL1800. If I ride slow enough (75 mph or a bit less), I can actually hear the radio. Although the exhaust system is stock, I put downturn tips on the mufflers to reduce soot buildup on my trailer - yes, I even drag a trailer. The sound from that big 1800 engine reflects back up to me and is quite pleasant, especially when the motor is 'grunting'.

The city of Denver is cowtowing to a few loft yuppies that are whining about excessive noise downtown. I can see their point - don't know what the benefit of loud pipes are anyway, except to piss people off. I'm refering to the extremely loud pipes. I find it curious that they (the city) don't address loud mufflers on the small cars and thumping stereos that make your eyeballs dance. I think the whole city ordinance started from some neighbors near a couple of biker bars.

Twice now little kids that were in or near a parking lot cringed and covered their ears when I went to start the bike. The result was surprise and a smile. I stayed stock because there is really little benefit of having pipes. The quiet effect is one I prefer anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I don't see how any of the aftermarket mufflers for the FJR would anger someone. They aren't that loud. "

The Leo Vinces without the baffle are loud - they were annoying to ME... But you are right, most aren't.

I had the Leos on for over a year and loved the sound but put the stock cans back on as its just more comfortable with less noise from all sources.

Straight pipes on any big V-twin are just plain loud and annoying - no tone to them at all - just noise.

"I don't see how any of the aftermarket mufflers for the FJR would anger someone. They aren't that loud. "
The Leo Vinces without the baffle are loud - they were annoying to ME... But you are right, most aren't.

I had the Leos on for over a year and loved the sound but put the stock cans back on as its just more comfortable with less noise from all sources.
The holeshot with header is loud. I followed on to Lassen and by the time we got there I was about to push that FJR off a cliff. It drilled a hole in my head it was so obnoxious.

The FJR is not 'silent' by any means. Stand by the side of the road and have one fly by at 80 mph and you'll hear it coming a long way back. And when it flies by, you'll keep hearing the engine, rather than the exhaust. And if it's at WOT, it'd be a heck of a lot louder.

The best scenario IMO is that the exhaust is not louder than the engine, so motorcycle is not any noisier overall. That way the exhaust can drown many unwanted noises, like tranny whine, etc.; it's more pleasant to hear a deep, throaty exhaust tone than gear whine IMO. I think many slip-on A/M cans for the FJR qualify as such. I DON'T like pipes louder than the engine either, since I'm a long distance traveler as well. Good day.

JC

I once remarked to my EX-brother-in-law who rode an HD Springer, "Why run with those straight pipes? All it does is piss off the citizens." He replied, "That's the whole point."

That kind of attitude is not a good thing if you don't want the majority citizenry retaliating against us all. They have the numbers and the power.

Beside the negative social implications, I love the sound of loud pipes. I often hear a inline 4 cylinder sportbike in the distance howling through a 4 into 1 pipe as he rows through the gears. What a sweet sound! The problem is that the police officer sitting in his cruiser can hear it also and he probably doesn't think the sound is quite as sweet as I do. He'll be looking for that guy. Me on my stock FJR or CBR1100XX don't attract any of that negative attention.

kinda like a UFO:
quiet

fast

everybody sees it

nobody knows what it really is

now they see it, now its gone ...and they're left wondering....wow
I agree. B)

My FJR has had the stock exhaust for 4 years now. I think about putting something else from time to time...but haven't yet. Nothing wrong with ninja stealth. :ph34r:

I also like being stealthy. The FJR is so serenely understated because it is so supremely capable and confident. It has no insecure need to call on attention getting tactics of the "much sound and fury signifying nothing" crowd.

FJR riders may tread (ride) softly but we carry one heck of a big stick. And that's just the way I like it.

Someone needs to do a baffelectomy on the FJR. I wouldn't

mind a little more rumble.

+1 on the FJR's stealthyliciousness.

I don't ride to audibly announce my freedom plus the noise is fatiguing on long rides. My exhaust is and will remain stock. I'm in complete favor of increased enforcement of existing noise legislation and any new legislation.

I recently moved and there's a number of bikers up the street with open-piped Hardly's. I've since become further convinced that there's an inverse relationship between the loudness of the bike and IQ of its rider.

I don't buy the loud pipes saves lives argument either unless they are pointed forward. I've been startled numerous times by loud bikes as they past me, both on my FJR and in my cage. I simply could not hear them until next to me.

Motorcycles are prohibited on the scenic 17-Mile Drive near Monterey, CA and I think I know why.

I've been startled numerous times by loud bikes as they past me, both on my FJR and in my cage.
You got passed by a Harley? On your FJR?

20 lashes! :lol:

My pipes are stock, but I think they're a bit blown out. Certainly not very stealthy in the upper RPM range.

I spent ten years riding a loud Harley Heritage and I don't miss the noise one bit. I really enjoy the sound of the gears during quick acceleration on my FJR. My wife also loves the lack exhaust noise and seems to be more interested in going along on rides. Harly Davidson__ "most efficient method of converting horsepower into noise." Can't remember the author of this quote.

Jer

I just got back from a week on the road and the first order of business was to remove the Muzzy cans. after WFO I almost did and this trip was it. Quiet is cool. The constant drone of the exhaust was to much. If my neighbor doesn't want them then they will be for sale here soon.

I like the purrfect sound of my FJR, with ONE exception. Being in southern CA, I use the bike in LA traffic, and more than once, have found following one of those "jiggly" Harley's to be of some advantage while lane splitting. Even though I intentionally keep the gears down for better control and a little more sound, nobody ever hears me coming, which is no good when dealing with mere inches of margin for error!
I agree. l've got a few bikes including a Harley Deuce with Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggereds, and it's pretty loud especially when I want it to be. I also don't approve of my fellow Harley riders with pipes wicking it at a light, or WFO away from a light in a residencial/commercial area or otherwise making a nuisance of themselves with regard to noise. I do take exception however with the guys who say they can't hear a Harley with pipes (coming) until it is right next to them (in their cage I would assume), what are you guys friggin deaf? My hearing is shit, and I can hear a piped Harley comining from way back and hear it way forward in front of me when I'm on the freeway in my car, usually with the radio blaring. You (anyway - I do) HEAR LOUD PIPES. As a lane splitter, I find that when I'm on the Harley I am generally given a lot more leeway by the cagers when I'm splitting than when I am on any of my other (quieter) bikes. Those are my ovservations/experiences -

I spent ten years riding a loud Harley Heritage and I don't miss the noise one bit. I really enjoy the sound of the gears during quick acceleration on my FJR. My wife also loves the lack exhaust noise and seems to be more interested in going along on rides. Harly Davidson__ "most efficient method of converting horsepower into noise." Can't remember the author of this quote.
Jer
The quote I saw was:

"Harley Davidson - the most efficient way to turn gas into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower." by Motor Psycho

kinda like a UFO:
quiet

fast

everybody sees it

nobody knows what it really is

now they see it, now its gone ...and they're left wondering....wow
I love it! I was an investigator for mufon and cufos a number of years ago and heard these kind of statements frequently.