My quiet FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holeshots here. Not too loud, just right. And Flowmasters on my '03 Cobra. Also not too loud. If I wanted silent, I'd ride electric.

I've got EPCO glasspacks on my Thruxton...I think it sounds great. They're not obnoxious tho...and i take it easy around town. I'm planning on leaving the stockers on the FJR...It's just a completely different animal altogether.

Question for y'all.

Anyone running holeshot headers with stock cans? how does that sound?

I tossed my stock cans shortly after getting my 05 and replaced them with 2 Bros. I didn't think they were too loud, In fact, I think they were just about right, but perhaps just a wee bit louder than I had hoped for.

The beginning of this season I added a set of Walker headers to the mix and have been running them all summer along with the 2 Bros. cans. Without the cats in there, the damn thing is just plain loud when you whack the throttle. I was actually surprised at what a difference (in volume) removing the cats made.

Anyway, I've been tossing around keeping the headers and going back to stock cans now. It may get me right where I want to be as far as volume goes. Just a bit louder than stock, but not at all loud.

Thoughts please? Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for y'all.
Anyone running holeshot headers with stock cans? how does that sound?

I tossed my stock cans shortly after getting my 05 and replaced them with 2 Bros. I didn't think they were too loud, In fact, I think they were just about right, but perhaps just a wee bit louder than I had hoped for.

The beginning of this season I added a set of Walker headers to the mix and have been running them all summer along with the 2 Bros. cans. Without the cats in there, the damn thing is just plain loud when you whack the throttle. I was actually surprised at what a difference (in volume) removing the cats made.

Anyway, I've been tossing around keeping the headers and going back to stock cans now. It may get me right where I want to be as far as volume goes. Just a bit louder than stock, but not at all loud.

Thoughts please? Anyone?
I doubt if it would sound much different than a full stock system, but then these things are mostly subjective, unless you have a decibel meter handy. If you still have the stockers, why not put them on and report back to us, or maybe someone in your vicinity has a set down in the basement that you could borrow for comparison.

BTW, much has been said about elimination of the cat. Other than more sound, did it do anything else positive? Performance? Less heat?

I actually think it would be a bit louder than stock. I only say that because the cats apparently quiet things down a bit being in there. When going from stock headers/2 Bros. cans to the headers with the 2 Bros. cans there was a profound difference in volume, so they MUST make a difference. Unfortunately I don't have my stock cans anymore to test out. I'm also not sure that I want to buy a set just to see....

As far as other changes, perhaps a bit more power (no dyno test to support that) but logic says, larger tubes along with no more restrictive cats... I've got to believe that added just a bit of power. As for less heat, hard to say what difference taking the cats out made because I also wrapped the headers in insulating header wrap before I installed them to cut down on heat. Overall, yes, there is less heat, but I don't know how much of the reduction is from the wrap vs. the cats being gone. My guess is that the header wrap cuts more heat while moving and the cats being gone prevents as much heat coming up on you at stoplight. After all, while moving, the hot air from the cats is behind you while the hot air off the downpipes may come across you legs still.

Overall, I'm happy with the current combination, but I just may be getting older and want to quite things back down again... I just don't know.

I actually think it would be a bit louder than stock. I only say that because the cats apparently quiet things down a bit being in there. When going from stock headers/2 Bros. cans to the headers with the 2 Bros. cans there was a profound difference in volume, so they MUST make a difference. Unfortunately I don't have my stock cans anymore to test out. I'm also not sure that I want to buy a set just to see....
As far as other changes, perhaps a bit more power (no dyno test to support that) but logic says, larger tubes along with no more restrictive cats... I've got to believe that added just a bit of power. As for less heat, hard to say what difference taking the cats out made because I also wrapped the headers in insulating header wrap before I installed them to cut down on heat. Overall, yes, there is less heat, but I don't know how much of the reduction is from the wrap vs. the cats being gone. My guess is that the header wrap cuts more heat while moving and the cats being gone prevents as much heat coming up on you at stoplight. After all, while moving, the hot air from the cats is behind you while the hot air off the downpipes may come across you legs still.

Overall, I'm happy with the current combination, but I just may be getting older and want to quite things back down again... I just don't know.
Ever discuss with Dale Walker. He claimed 3 additional h.p. with the Holeshot mufflers (Dyno). I haven't been to his site since I purchased the mufflers. He probably did dyno the bike with his headers on it. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the motor ran better.

Three horsepower could be the standard deviation of all FJR's out there. My evaluation, of the addition of after market exhuasts, would be neglible difference in performance; now if we're talking 'bench racing', then hell ya, get them "cans". (If your aim is a more mellow or rancerous exhaust note, well then, my comment is moot.)

C&C

I don't even understand your comment/statement in the first place. That said, is it still a moot point or would you like to clarify?

Standard deviation is the variation one might see between two engines (or any comparble like-items) in this case horsepower. Every engine will vary to an extent in power for one reason or another (machining tolerances, etc.) and one bike off the line may have 120 hp and the next 125 hp or the purpose of my arguement 123 hp. What my contention was, is that three horsepower would probably not be noticable by the average rider, (but if you were interested in the different sound that come out of the exhaust), then the power is moot and by all means go for it. And of course, this is JMO.

Sorry boys, I love the sound from my remus pipes.
Me too. I picked up a pair of Hexicone cans at WFO-6 and love the sound. Baffles in of course. At freeway speeds I don't hear them but around town they sound sweet. Got them for 10% off, free installation and free shipping for my old cans. Had to do it. :yahoo: Gives the bike a little character without being LOUD and they look sooooo good.

I have a pair of Staytune cans on my DL1000. Comparing the two bikes the DL is louder but still can't hear the exhaust about 60 mph as the wind drowns out the sound of the pipes. (Baffles in of course).

I don't intend to remove the baffles. I did a little 20 mile ride on the DL1K w/o the baffles and the drone from the exhaust was distracting at freeway speeds and at slower speeds it sure sounds like a Harley with straight pipes. :(

As for wearing earplugs. I've got hearing loss from 10 years in B52D bombers and am trying to keep what's left. Don't wear them to the local United Food but most other times they go in.