My Side Bag Was Jacked!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xllented

Reaction score
:angry2:

Damn! Came home from work, parked the bike for 40 minutes; when I came back out, the left side hard bag was missing.

Thoughts rushing through my head:

When I got off work to head home and when I took my helmet out of the bag, did I close the bag and lock it back up properly? (The key stays in the lock until lock and latches are in place and engaged)

Did it drop off on my way home from work? (I think I would have heard it fall off or at least horns going off from cars behind me; would have noticed when I got off the bike)

Did someone literally rip it off the brackets? (No visible damage; plastic, aluminium brackets, and rubber posts seem ok)

Did a neighbor/someone run into bike/bag, knock it off it's bracket, and confiscated it to hide evidence? (No forensic evidence - plastic chips from bag, tire marks, scracthes on bike, or witnesses - However, I think this is the most likely answer)

I've read in a past post that bags have actually come loose from brackets after hitting large bumps and/or railroad tracks....

I guess it could have been worse... I could have dumped/dropped the bike...

Just wondering how much a replacement bag w/matching lock will set me back; I'm thinking around $600 (2008 A model).

P.S. I did file a police report. My insurance deductable is $250.

Thanks for listening.

X

Probably fell off. Looks like it'll cost you about $250.00. Check the security screws holding the lock cylinder on the remaining bag. They should be Locktited©, if they're similar to the Gen I bikes. Many of those have fallen off, but mine won't....

Last time somebody's bag got jacked it was because some lowlife saw what was inside it, and it was a Gen I, so JB didn't get yours....

My guess is, one of your neighbors is prob'ly jealous, and stolt the thing, jus' to mess you up.

If I was you, I'd get my gauge and start poundin' some doors. Prob'ly was that bastard who lives across the street from you - start there, first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I found the security screws on my Gen 1 had backed out almost completely one day and ended up putting some loctite on them. I now find myself checking them regularly.

Me thinks that it may have fallen off. It seems like it would be hard to simply rip one off without some visible damage to the subframe or paint.

Check the screws on the other bag and if they're loose, try to save $250 by claiming it from the dealer, who clearly would not have followed Yamaha's explicit direction to use the Loctite THAT THEY INCLUDE WITH THE BAGS.

As to dropping the bike? You can get to that later - fate wants you to pay out TWO deductibles,.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost a lock because dealer didn't Loctite. I had an extra lock cylinder which came with my bike. As I didn't have a trunk I didn't need it. Don't all the bikes come with an extra one?

gypsy

If someone ripped it off there would definite scratches and broken plastics about unless you failed to properly secure it.

In the dealership the other day the tech behind the counter was telling how expensive bags were for those things. His quote was around 450.

Won't know till ya call.

So, if it did fly or fall off then you may be able to find it along the road someplace. If you do find it you should be able to recover the lock, if nothing else.

When I had an accident last fall at 65 miles per hour,my bike slid on both sides for 100 feet and the bags never moved! Those mounts are surprisingly strong as well as the bags.

I might have posted this somewhere else, so sorry, but it does fit.

My left side lock came undone up in Riggins, ID., on my most recent trip. Lucky for me I noticed it when I was rummaging through the case for something or other. The lock had stayed with the case, and only the screws were MIA. The case stayed attached without the lock (and without duct tape), but that meant I had to carry the whole thing to my room, lest it fall prey to thieves or scalliwags in the night. I rode with it like that for a couple of days.

Idaho-CaliTripSummer08060.jpg

I'm thinking I might have helped the screws along by some well intentioned lubrication of the latch against the weather before I left home. In any case (so to speak) the whole episode is another testament for the pre-departure general motorcycle inspection.

Happy ending, though. I replaced the OEM screws with some stainless steel Phillips head's I found after a half hour of foraging through the screw drawers at a True Value Hardware store, and all was well. Not only that, but the Hardware store was right next to a brew pub.

What I don't get is why Yamaha uses those "PIA" safety torx screw heads. I mean, you can't even get to them if you don't have a key or break the latch, fer cryne-out-loud. WBill

The dealer I bought my 08 from three weeks ago didn't lock tight mine. It was one of the first things I checked and fixed after I got home. Lesson learned from my 04 several years ago. After reading about the problem on this forum, I checked my 04 and they were loose to the point of falling out. Same dealer. I guess they don't really care. Makes you wonder if they really do all those things on the checklist when they are assembling the bike.

GP

I checked.....mine were not lock tighted from the dealer. They are now !!!
Same here. I just went out and checked. Sure enough none of the screws were even snug and no thread locker to be found. They all are properly secured now. Thanks for the advice.