My version of the Smuggler for me 07A (Or any)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Well a lot of us here have discussed how over priced the Corbin Smuggler is( although, I do like it!). Also one of the big drawbacks (for me) to the Corbin is having to totally remove your pillion seat to use it. Might want that pillion seat when your away from home.........

A big shout out goes out to Garauld here on the forum. Once again, his attention to detail really impressed me. Thanks again Gary for your nice paint work and quick return shipping.

So my plan was to use the Axio Hard case tailpack in place of the Corbin. Since it only comes in a couple basic colors, I had Garauld (Gary) paint it black cherry to match.

(UPDATE) FYI, it does not come in black either (closest is the carbon fiber). 08/09A owners, if you want it to match.. Get ahold of Garauld.

Without further to do... Here it is:

Smuggler4.jpg

(UPDATE) Now in 08/09 Raven Black:

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

I think it looks AWESOME!!!

(UPDATE)

By the way, the Axio's measurements are as follows:

Approximately 12 inches wide at the front.

Approximately 8 inches wide at the rear.

Approximately 7 inches deep.

Approximately 12 inches in length from the front to the rear point.

Well what do you all think?

If you want to check out more pics of my new smuggler and my other farkles go here (Check Post #28 and #30 for more pics and page 6 for my latest) :

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...webby&st=20

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool... I've often wondered how that would work. Have you tried putting it on the rear rack & completely opening up the passerger seat? From the pic it looks like it'd fit.

Luvtoride,

Yes it will fit nice and also looks nice. I will snap a shot of it on the touring rack later.

Rondo777,

Thanks!

jwilly,

154 No... But 157 YES!

Rushes,

Thanks Russ.. Your mail is on its way!

WW

Sweet! Looks like what we have been looking for. What happens if you take out the seat and mount it in the hole? Looks like it might fit very nicely for a lower profile for those of us who rarely have a passenger.

Paulie,

I think it would fit nicely there too. I would think one could easily "RIG" a plate that could latch down where the pillion goes and lock it in place like the seat does. Originally, I had thought about hunting down an extra stock pillion seat and just stripping off the seat part and mounting it to the plate. But then I would not have the seat... Ideas, ideas, ideas.

Rushes,

I know, I know.. It seems like no matter what farkle you do.. It effects something else (usually my wallet and/or Momma's Mad Meter!).

Hahahaha!

WW

WW,

Do you have your tailpack exclusively strapped down to your passenger seat?

If so, how secure do you feel that passenger seat is?

I ask because I'm about to make a quick remove bag that will attach ONLY to the passenger seat, so that passenger seat must be very secure or I risk loosing the bag too.

Thanks.

CoDan,

I am using the pack in a way that I can remove the tail pack pretty easily. Though, it is secured down very well. I used a bungee net and ran it through the 4 corner loops and strapped it beneath the pillion seat. When attached, the seat ain't going anywhere.

WW

I believe CoDan is thinking of the polite FJR version of the old Harley T-Shirt: "If you can read this, the Pillion Seat fell off".

I believe CoDan is thinking of the polite FJR version of the old Harley T-Shirt: "If you can read this, the Pillion Seat fell off".
Ha ha .....

I'm just paranoid about the seat.

Webby, I notice you went front-to-back with the mounting straps. Any particular reason that you didn't go side-to-side and maybe get a more stream-lined look where the little "wings" meet the seat?

I don't have one of these myself but I'm looking at getting one - so any info I can scrounge up helps.

Webby, I notice you went front-to-back with the mounting straps. Any particular reason that you didn't go side-to-side and maybe get a more stream-lined look where the little "wings" meet the seat?
I don't have one of these myself but I'm looking at getting one - so any info I can scrounge up helps.
PhilMills,

I used the bbungeeungie straps mainly that way because I attached them under the seat on the 4 round parts that the pillion seat rests on and they seemed to want to route that way. I agree that the way it is mounted does look better than the straps going on the outside. I am very satisfied with this setup. The bag is not huge.. BUT good for quite a bit of storage. A very nice way to stow extra items without having to use my Givi E52. It measures about 14 inches by 14 inches and just under 7 inches deep. It has a white reflective rear section and some nice interior dividing pockets. Axio has a very quality product here that fits the FJR very nicely (though their tank bag doesn't fit as well).

WW

Mike,

Just sent ya a PM. Out of respect to Garauld, I don't want to be qouting prices for him. I will say his prices are very fair and he has always done great work for me.

WW