NAFO 1K and 1.5K RIDES!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawk, this can probably be addressed at the rider's meeting Thursday evening. - However -

based upon past experience, and keep in mind this may change - there are specific bonus points that must be documented. That's why there's a towel. Those bonus points must be visited in a specific order to ensure the miles.

Chip sealing and pilot vehicles are all part of the excitement. During WFO6's SS1K, I spent about 45 minutes on Hwy 6 at 11:30 PM waiting for traffic to move. And I still have a glop of asphalt sealer on my front rim, complements of the UDOT. I managed to take a SS1K and do it in 1,235 miles. The details of this escape me. :blink:

Advice? (take it for what it's worth) - don't get mired down in the details. Don't over analyze this ride. You have 24 HOURS to do it - even with a stock fuel tank, stops for food, nature communing, and equipment changes, you've got plenty of time. 1050 miles into 24 hours means an overall average of 43.5 mph.

The trick is to stay on the bike, and moving. NOT SPEEDING. This is NOT A RACE. Remember that, ok? And you'll do fine. And you'll be safe, and finish.

Here's a link to my cherry popping - I think this will give you the idea of what it's about - Cherry Popping WFO5

Ok, I saw a road report on Million Dollar Highway (between Durango and Ouray):
avoid...Million Dollar HWY unless you just want to just enjoy the views...they are chipping and sealing and that means one way traffic behind 40 other cars and trucks at 25mph

So, a question for the organizer, if you have this as part of our route . . . . do we have to go that route or can we go another highway (we could take the route through Telluride to avoid the slow traffic)?

Just a thought from one of the Virgins on the trip, I am not aware of all the rules of these rides and what better way to find out than to actually ask the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather Forcast for Denver on Friday: 97 degrees ! ! ! !
Ok, well now I am really happy that the ride is not out in the Colorado Plains (it will be over 100 out there). Keeping the ride in the mountains will allow us to have much better tempertures.

Last Saturday it was 100 in Denver, we went up to the mountains to a nice 72 degrees . . . however this is not true for all of the mountains, areas like Alamosa and Craig, Grand Junction will still be very hot to deal with . . . . .

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/weather/index.html
Sounds about right. Maybe saturday a snow storm with blow through Leadville.

Loved your post ! It took me about 4 hours to read it (busy at work and still trying to read it during meetings, etc.)

I am so pumped for this ride, I hope I do not oversleep and miss it, no wakeup call at home . . .

See you guys tomorrow at the meeting

I found out the other day that Galaxy Blue will not be joining us this year, what a bummer. I was hoping to show my new paint job on my 2003 Feejer to him first . . . he came out to Denver last year and we took him to the Custom Bike show in Colorado Springs . . . we had a great day at the show as I picked out my painter that day and all I could talk about was the new Candy Apple Red paint that I was going to splash on my bike. Catch you next time Galaxy.

Hawk, this can probably be addressed at the rider's meeting Thursday evening. - However -
based upon past experience, and keep in mind this may change - there are specific bonus points that must be documented. That's why there's a towel. Those bonus points must be visited in a specific order to ensure the miles.

Chip sealing and pilot vehicles are all part of the excitement. During WFO6's SS1K, I spent about 45 minutes on Hwy 6 at 11:30 PM waiting for traffic to move. And I still have a glop of asphalt sealer on my front rim, complements of the UDOT. I managed to take a SS1K and do it in 1,235 miles. The details of this escape me. :blink:

Advice? (take it for what it's worth) - don't get mired down in the details. Don't over analyze this ride. You have 24 HOURS to do it - even with a stock fuel tank, stops for food, nature communing, and equipment changes, you've got plenty of time. 1050 miles into 24 hours means an overall average of 43.5 mph.

The trick is to stay on the bike, and moving. NOT SPEEDING. This is NOT A RACE. Remember that, ok? And you'll do fine. And you'll be safe, and finish.

Here's a link to my cherry popping - I think this will give you the idea of what it's about - Cherry Popping WFO5

Ok, I saw a road report on Million Dollar Highway (between Durango and Ouray):
avoid...Million Dollar HWY unless you just want to just enjoy the views...they are chipping and sealing and that means one way traffic behind 40 other cars and trucks at 25mph

So, a question for the organizer, if you have this as part of our route . . . . do we have to go that route or can we go another highway (we could take the route through Telluride to avoid the slow traffic)?

Just a thought from one of the Virgins on the trip, I am not aware of all the rules of these rides and what better way to find out than to actually ask the question.