Need a battery - which brand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, as long as we're talking batteries, I've been wondering about preventive maintainance for my upcoming cross-country jaunt in June. I believe I still have the original battery in my '05. Well, I must, because it only had 1,700 on the odo when I bought it n spring '06. I'm wondering if I should put in a new battery before the trip, even though this one has never given me any trouble. The bike has 71,000 on it now. Whatchall think?

When I went riding with my buddies last weekend, one of whom has an '05 Concours, it wouldn't start till we (they*) figured out it was only loose battery terminal conncections. And in that context my buddy recommended a new "gel" something-or-other battery. Gel?

JB

*Although all of us suspected the battery, it never occurred to me to suggest monkeying with the battery cables, though I've had similar problems on cars I've owned, because for me it's a three-day garage project just to get to my FJR's battery! :blink:

Messing with the Concours Battery Cables

4335605836_e20d98e55c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JB I'd vote yes on the new battery. "an ounce of prevention'

I had a couple signs of the original getting weak last year after my cross country trip. The tell tale clock and odometer reset during a start up, etc.

So I bought a Westco from Jeff at Bike Effects. Noticeably better cranking power. I guess the original loses it slowly.

My original was 5+ years, about 60K miles. The swap took about an hour or so.

I think it would be smart pre-trip insurance for you.

Good luck.

Can't say if Yuasa or Westco is best.

My OEM lasted April 06 to current date, and still works, powering my riding Sears Craftsman riding tractor lawn mower thingie.

I bought new 'just because'.

I can say that Jeff at BikeEffects rocks...

Read an article of interest on bike batteries, stated that frequently replacement batteries are not serviced correctly, when initially freshened (electrolite added) they should be allowed to "soak" for at least 1/2 hr before charging or you will be looking at premature sulfation on the replacement battery. This author also stated he replaces his bike batteries after 3yrs. cause you can never tell for sure about its state of well being, checks good one minute, gone the next. Given the surprising size (to me)of the FJR battery I might just do that.

Read an article of interest on bike batteries, stated that frequently replacement batteries are not serviced correctly, when initially freshened (electrolite added) they should be allowed to "soak" for at least 1/2 hr before charging or you will be looking at premature sulfation on the replacement battery. This author also stated he replaces his bike batteries after 3yrs. cause you can never tell for sure about its state of well being, checks good one minute, gone the next. Given the surprising size (to me)of the FJR battery I might just do that.
That is a true statement about the delay between adding electrolyte and charging the battery. The FJR battery is a sealed gel cell -- simply trickle charge the new battery until fully charged, install and vaarooom.

Some YUSA batteries, non-maintenance free, used to have sudden death syndrome and changing them every 3 yrs or sooner made sense. The FJR gel cell is a different animal and should give you ample warning as it deteriorates in capability.

I've taken a lot of heat over my opinion about the difference between a 135 CCA battery and a 210 CCA battery, none the less let me repeat -- if a brand promotes a 210 CCA battery, compare its weight to the 10.1 lb 135 CCA battery. If the weights aren't significantly different the battery vendor is playing a spec game about how CCA is measured. To have higher CCA the battery must weigh more. Just because the battery industry has a standard on how to measure CCA doesn't mean that a company may 'free lance' a bit and be liberal in how they advertise the capability of their batteries.

So you fell for the old "The FJR's battery is under the airbox" joke too???

Go soak yer head old man.. :****:

:jester:

As usual, Barry doesn't have anything usefull to add so he just adds shit. :bleh:
Hey, go soak yer head too shithead. :blum:

The wife swears by ra-o-vacs in her stuff!

So you fell for the old "The FJR's battery is under the airbox" joke too???

Go soak yer head old man.. :****:

As usual, Barry doesn't have anything usefull to add so he just adds shit. :bleh:
Hey, go soak yer head too shithead. :blum:

The wife swears by ra-o-vacs in her stuff!

Does the forum discount apply to those ???