need a drawing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend rider

Reaction score
I would like to ask if any person out there that has a steering head spanner wrench out there would make a copy for me..

No not a metal one. I would like any person with a wrench to lay it on a piece of paper and draw an out line in pencil so I can make a wrench to use for removing that special nut. I am going to use a plasma cutter to make one and harden it my self

So if any one would do this please pm me and I will get back to you and many thanks for your time consideration.

weekend rider :)

I hope the wrench is flat and does not ave any weird bends

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to ask if any person out there that has a steering head spanner wrench out there would make a copy for me..
No not a metal one. I would like any person with a wrench to lay it on a piece of paper and draw an out line in pencil so I can make a wrench to use for removing that special nut. I am going to use a plasma cutter to make one and harden it my self

So if any one would do this please pm me and I will get back to you and many thanks for your time consideration.

weekend rider :)

I hope the wrench is flat and does not ave any weird bends
PM me your addy. I'll send it off next week, but I suggest that if you make one, you better make a hunnert! ;)

Yebbutt, yew guyz wood hafta be yousin the post-all service en hee wood hafta be gettin' em all boxed en mailt. Eye kud jist git onta my murdersickle en be tuh Woodland purdy darned quik...Eye s'pose round about 30 minnits, er soe.

Eye'm athinkin' et'd bee reely reely EZ tuh cut jist WUN moor! :D

Beesides, Eye wuz askin' furst! :blum:

I made mine out of 1/4 aluminum from a drawing I got somewhere on the forum or advertiser site. I think I zoomed up, from the image, to use as a template. See below for image. And below that for finished product.

spannerwrench.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

I don't remember where I got the photo of the wrench and hex adapters, but they are hex; just probably a poor photo rendition.

The picture is from Bike Johnny. The steering head wrench does indeed have a square hole for a torque wrench. The front/rear wheel wrench is a hex.

The cut-out behind the tab at the tip is critical, this fits over one of the castellations on the steering head nut. Universal wrenches won't work because they do not have this cut-out.

weekend rider,

Did you ever make those wrenches? I need one.

Or, I need the dimension between the two centers (nut / square hole) so I can make my own.

Or, I'll see if I can scale the distance in the photo here

weekend rider,Did you ever make those wrenches? I need one.

Or, I need the dimension between the two centers (nut / square hole) so I can make my own.

Or, I'll see if I can scale the distance in the photo here
I made my own by simply tracing the nut on a piece of paper (after it was removed with a screwdriver). Then I could fabricate the wrench however I wanted. Instead of trying to make a square hole, I drilled then bolted a 5/8" head bolt to the end. This way I can apply the torque wrench.

Instead of trying to make a square hole, I drilled then bolted a 5/8" head bolt to the end. This way I can apply the torque wrench.
I like your solution.

I'm actually going to cut the eight point star shape if I end up making my own.

It's probably not critical, but I think I need to have the correct distance between center points to get the nuts torqued properly.

Instead of trying to make a square hole, I drilled then bolted a 5/8" head bolt to the end. This way I can apply the torque wrench.
I like your solution.

I'm actually going to cut the eight point star shape if I end up making my own.

It's probably not critical, but I think I need to have the correct distance between center points to get the nuts torqued properly.

Not if you orient the tools correctly.

The length of the spanner is of no consequence if the torque wrench is oriented at a 90 degree angle to the spanner.

Steering_Head_Bearing_Adjustment.jpg

If someone makes these for sales purposes, they need to plan on marking them at about $20 each or less (including shipping). Anything more is treading on the cost of a combo set of wrench+front axle nut from bike johnny.

If someone makes these for sales purposes, they need to plan on marking them at about $20 each or less (including shipping). Anything more is treading on the cost of a combo set of wrench+front axle nut from bike johnny.

Bike Johnny wants £ 27.64 (UK Pounds) = $40.30 plus shipping from the UK for the 2 piece set.

Wild Hair Accessories sells just the (same) Meissner head wrench for $20 plus shipping from Arizona.

Harbor Freight has a tool kit for about $55.

I used a bicycle tool by park that was designed for removing bottom brackets, however, I had to put a small socket between it and the slotted nut to get the right angle. I calculated out the torque and estimated the number of pounds of pull on the wrench by arm pull.

This made a big difference in how stable my fjr was during braking, and I thank the forum for notifying me this was a problem area.

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=97006