Need advice on FJR I saw today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomBo

Reaction score
I rode my shadow to the Local Dealer and saw a 2003 FJR 9K miles. Cosmetically sound.

My Shadow is a 2000 with 17K Mustang seats, MS shield,Light bar, Pipes blah blah. in decent condition. (meaning Im not OCD about polishing my bike and don't mind blue pipes LOL ) IS bike is not butt jewelry for me.

So they offer $3000 for mine vs $7500-8000 for theirs. I would have to come up with $5000-$5500 out of pocket (Sales tax is capped in SC at $300)

Fair deal?

I'm still investigating the FJR as a bike but so far the only thing I don't like about it is I would rather it be a 900. I cannot fathom needing 145HP. But a 900 is considered a sport bike and the insurance on the FJR is equal to the VT100.....

Comments?

A hello to Chronbe.....HE remembers me from the Hondanet site where I was banned for my strong opinion's on safety and posers, and pipes.

Hiya TomBo,

Warning: Totally unscientific and probably uneducated maybe misinformed opinion below.

Sounds a little high to me, but then a dealer has to eat, right ? Pretty low mileage for an '03 though...

My "totally unscientific and probably uneducated maybe misinformed opinion" is that boogahboogah is probably right, sounds a little high. Personally, I'd sell the Shadow on my own and keep shopping.

My 2 cents, sell the Shadow yourself and make a cash offer for the FJR.
+1

Sounds low on your bike to (Me) and high on the FJR side. It's an 03 and probably will be out of warranty soon even if it has YES.

If it's mostly stock, I'd make a nice low CASH offer and see what happens. Bikes come and go all the time.

I rode my shadow to the Local Dealer and saw a 2003 FJR 9K miles. Cosmetically sound.
My Shadow is a 2000 with 17K Mustang seats, MS shield,Light bar, Pipes blah blah. in decent condition. (meaning Im not OCD about polishing my bike and don't mind blue pipes LOL ) IS bike is not butt jewelry for me.

So they offer $3000 for mine vs $7500-8000 for theirs. I would have to come up with $5000-$5500 out of pocket (Sales tax is capped in SC at $300)

Fair deal?

I'm still investigating the FJR as a bike but so far the only thing I don't like about it is I would rather it be a 900. I cannot fathom needing 145HP. But a 900 is considered a sport bike and the insurance on the FJR is equal to the VT100.....

Comments?

A hello to Chronbe.....HE remembers me from the Hondanet site where I was banned for my strong opinion's on safety and posers, and pipes.

TOM!!! Welcome aboard! Great to see you.

Dude, I just quit the place. YOu should see the bizarre posts since I announced "I'm outta here".

I sold my shadow.

Two others on the board are getting FJRs (one just did).

*snicker*

PS... one of my biggest pet peeves about that place is the incessant, in-your-face use of "scriptures", bible passages and the Extrapolated Lessons of Jesus for the Moder Biker © that goes on there. Makes me feel all dirty inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys keep the opines coming What would be a good price for a 2003 w 9K?
Check Kelley Bluebook for both bikes-be sure to take into account the low mileage. Not sure but I think it is WWW.KBB.com

Just a hunch but I think after you ride the FJR (1300) the (900) would not feel the same ever again. Not sure this is a situation that you can go back with & be happy...........At least I don't think I could. Best of luck

Check Kelley Bluebook for both bikes-be sure to take into account the low mileage. Not sure but I think it is WWW.KBB.com

Just a hunch but I think after you ride the FJR (1300) the (900) would not feel the same ever again. Not sure this is a situation that you can go back with & be happy...........At least I don't think I could. Best of luck
Agreed. I just sold my Shadow Sabre and delivered it to the new owner yesterday. ~3 hour ride and my body is *STILL* aching and sore this morning. "You can't go home again", it seems.

Agreed. I just sold my Shadow Sabre and delivered it to the new owner yesterday. ~3 hour ride and my body is *STILL* aching and sore this morning. "You can't go home again", it seems.
YEah I read your blog. I am also recently reregistered on the fourm and and having some fun. Some of it was at your expense. (Sorry, had to solidify my disguise) LOL I know what you mean though and read the pages of good-byes ( I did stand up for you there). They have not changed.

In any case i have been reading voraciously here for the past couple hours after seeing an used FJRtoday. (Love the "wind up" of the gauges on switching it on).

After reading alot of this board, I have come to some conclusions.

1. Lots of drops! FJR owners sure do seem to have a lot of low speed/no speed drops.

2. Drops are expensive (if you care about keeping the bike looking new) It's funny I kind of think a cruiser should not be squeeky clean but look ridden. and a Sport tourer should look like a nice car. Clean and blemish free.

3. may be too much power for what I need BUT the insurance guy told me a friggin 800 VFR Interceptor would cost more becasue its a "sports" bike rather then a touring bike.

4. Owners are more united in the riding experience and are safety oriented.

5 The 2003 may suffer from "first out" syndrome.

6 Therer is some sort of "ticking" issue I have not delved into yet.

7 To farkle is better then to be a chrome whore.

$5000 and my bike seemed like a no brainer after seeing the FJR up close and personal. Im glad I happened to forget my wallet!

My shadow should draw $4000 with all the crap on it and the paint though. Who knows.

After riding a Concours, I simply have *NO* idea how anyone can drop an FJR. And I've got tiny little legs :)

The FJR is a wonder, amazing machine. The first gen is fundamentally unchanged thru' all the years and the number of tickers is something like 7% of the units sold. On the upside - if yours is an issue, it seems to be that Yamaha is fixing them all regardless of warranty status.

OMG! You're HONDAGUY aren't you? HAHAHAH TusconDon and I were going back and forth. He was convinced it was you and I was sure it wasn't because of HondaGuy's stances on some things. Nicely done! You done fooooooled me good :)

I might be biased, but I can't think of another machine short of a Goldwing that I'd point to with such fervor as the FJR.

Check nada.com to get fair market value then check cycle trader to see what similar is selling for. Then sell it yourself and take the profit/markup the dealer has to do to operate and put in your pocket.

Next look for a good used low mileage FJR checking the two sources above to get a good deal from private seller saving sales tax and all the dealer fees.

Be patient and ask a fair price for your bike and it will sell, trust me.

Also list in the owners forums and other forums like this one and:

Goldwing owners: www.gl1800owners.com

VTX owners: www.vtxoa.com

ST1300 owners: www.st-owners.com

To mention a few that I've belonged to and sold bikes at

Goldwingers buy sportbikes and cruisers and VTX riders buy sportbikes also.

List on as many sites as you can, be patient and it will sell.

Oh yeah, spend the extra few dollars at cycletrader.com and list the bike until it sells.

Or trade with a dealer and take the hit as always especially since spring.

Steve

After riding a Concours, I simply have *NO* idea how anyone can drop an FJR. And I've got tiny little legs :)
The FJR is a wonder, amazing machine. The first gen is fundamentally unchanged thru' all the years and the number of tickers is something like 7% of the units sold. On the upside - if yours is an issue, it seems to be that Yamaha is fixing them all regardless of warranty status.

OMG! You're HONDAGUY aren't you? HAHAHAH TusconDon and I were going back and forth. He was convinced it was you and I was sure it wasn't because of HondaGuy's stances on some things. Nicely done! You done fooooooled me good :)

I might be biased, but I can't think of another machine short of a Goldwing that I'd point to with such fervor as the FJR.
YEP..Arguing the exact OPPOSITE opinion and still getting a ration from the likes of RAT. LOL All in good fun. I'll play awhile.

The smartest guys and the ones I respected "nearly" called me out. In your safety zeal, you discounted me though. I knew you would if I threw a hardball at your head. It worked. You would have put together my writing style soon enough otherwise. Once I post my bike pic in the for sale section we will see who figures it out. LOL

Back on point though. I Know you are all "Dragoon" on the FJR thats why I searched every friggin FJR forum looking for you.

I'm liking what I see, I am in the minority though on the 2007 Black Cherry color I LIKE IT! the one I saw was the Blue. I do like the silver but thats a bike that will be doubly hard to see. I know I have a silver bike. I need to know how much I can do vs the dealer. Oil changes seem to be easier then Im used to now.

How is the RAIN protection?

How long do you get out of tires>

Is 45MPH (not hotrodding) reasonable around town,

IS it a good bike for a daily rider or should one get a smaller displacement for around town. Mind you I now have the VT1100 and do not feel that is a large bike.

My 29" inseam may be an issue as Im not flat footed on it.

Is there a backrest ( "security" for the wife) without having to put that FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR bumblebee looking trunk on it?

Why guess? Check the black book values for both machines and then add some profit to the difference between the prices for the dealer to determine whether it is a fair offer.

I'm liking what I see, I am in the minority though on the 2007 Black Cherry color I LIKE IT! the one I saw was the Blue. I do like the silver but thats a bike that will be doubly hard to see. I know I have a silver bike. I need to know how much I can do vs the dealer. Oil changes seem to be easier then Im used to now.
Me too. I *really* like the Black Cherry. My friend (Chips here on the board) has the '07 and I keep threatening to steal all his tupperware and replace it with my blue stuff. I like blue... but they're *all* blue (Silver is just blue with no tan and an identity crisis).

Oil changes are a 10 minute, very clean and easy ordeal. No issue at all. As you've seen, the filter is right there for easy access, not up, behind and underneath everthing.

How is the RAIN protection?
As good as most faired bikes. Much better than you're used to on the cruiser. I ride mine mostly rain or shine. It still comes down to gear, but at speed, shield up, it's pretty good.

How long do you get out of tires>
Wow. Loaded question. Mine had Bridgestone BT020s on it when new. At 5k miles they were trashed. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Roads and the bike took on a whole new character. They're at about 3600 miles so far with no visible wear.

Is 45MPH (not hotrodding) reasonable around town,
The bike is a joy to ride at all RPM ranges. It will lug a bit in 5th gear below 40, so don't do that. Mileage is between 40-50 MPG for me depending on how I ride. When I'm really twisting it up, it drops to about 38MPG. On average, I'm probably right at about 44mpg.

IS it a good bike for a daily rider or should one get a smaller displacement for around town. Mind you I now have the VT1100 and do not feel that is a large bike.
I ride mine every day to and from work, errands, taking my daughter to softball and such, and for pleasure riding and trips for work. I've never found it to be "too much" for even a quick trip to Wawa for milk.

My 29" inseam may be an issue as Im not flat footed on it.
I'm in the same boat and have no issues with it. It's a well balanced bike which carries its weight deceptively low.

Is there a backrest ( "security" for the wife) without having to put that FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR bumblebee looking trunk on it?
You can get various mounting plates and put one of the Givi (or Givi compatible 3rd party) boxes on it and still come in under 1/2 of what the Yamaha OEM trunk costs. I went budget with mine and put the same E45N plain jane Givi tour trunk on it that I used on my Concours and on my Shadow Sabre (same box, actually - I switched it off between the two bikes). I snagged it from eBay for about $90 and bought the Givi adapter for it. There are several vendors (poke around on this site) that make other mounts for boxes, too. Murph (https://murphskits.com) sells the Shad boxes which, I *think* are also Givi-mount compatible. JCWhitney sells another 3rd party box that is Givi-mount compatible and looks very much like the Givis.

>>How is the RAIN protection?

Much better than any open bike, but not as complete as a 1200RT, slightly less than an ST1300 - fine for me, I came from a cruiser

>>How long do you get out of tires>

I do occasional big mileage tours once a year and that lets me get good miles out of a set of tires (12k Metzeler Z4's, 13K Avon Azarro's). Most riders here seem to get less (at least the vocal ones), most folks report 7-9 k. Me ?? I don't act agressive on a regular basis, that might be a big factor...

>>Is 45MPH (not hotrodding) reasonable around town,

Yes, you'll be in 4th most likely, then wicking it up slightly when you get out of town & doing a shift to 5th. You could do 45 in 5th, the motor pulls pretty good down low... I try to never lug the bike (just basic respect I guess) but that's just me.

>>IS it a good bike for a daily rider or should one get a smaller displacement for around town. Mind you I now have the VT1100 and do not feel that is a large bike.

I don't ride to work only because I usually have to haul stuff to customer sites. If I didn't have to do that then I'd have lots more miles on the FJR. Bike gets 40-50 MPG depending on right wrist & conditions, so mileage really isn't an issue, and the bags hold lots of stuff.

>>My 29" inseam may be an issue as Im not flat footed on it.

Yah, might have to get the seat modified, custom seat (esp if you ride for hours & don't weigh 150), or some of the other mods seen on the forum for ride height.

Trunk ? I did the Givi because the shape looked better to me & it matched my blue bike & the shape fits a laptop better (stuff on bottom, laptop, stuff on top)

HTH, YMMV, etc etc

Why guess? Check the black book values for both machines and then add some profit to the difference between the prices for the dealer to determine whether it is a fair offer.
Black Book?

I checked KBB and Retail for the FJR is $7600 Trade in foe the Sahdow is 3100 Add tax and "$149 doc" And its $5000 out of pocket.

Retail on my Shadow is $4800 Wholesale on the FJR is $5400

So IF I got $4000 for the Shadow and was able to get the FJR for $8000 OTD I'd be a grand ahead.

BUT How many $7000 FJRs out there with only 9000 miles? Theres the real issue for me.

One thing I did notice was the rear tire had a flat area rather then being round rim to rim. Almost as if someone did a burn out, or traveled Kansas roadways its whole life. My Shadw exhibited somewhat the same thing but much less noticeable. Soft tires, or radical rider?