Need advice on FJR I saw today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUT How many $7000 FJRs out there with only 9000 miles? Theres the real issue for me.
06's ? none.

05's ? next to none.

04's and 03's for $7-8k come and go all the time. I think the 03's were only ~10k new weren't they?

Unless you can legally steal it for $5-6k I wouldn't worry too much, used bikes do come and go all the time.

But it's Oh so hard to be patient :D

The 03 had the weakest shock and front springs, in case you hadn't found that out yet, so you'll need an upgrade eventually.

I'd pass and get a later bike that still had the YES extended warranty on it. If it is a 'ticker " it'll cost about 2k to fix out of pocket, or it's free with YES. There has not been many that had to pay at all, Yammie's fixing them for free so far, but how many miles a year do you rack up ?

Call around for insurance, theiy're classified as touring bikes by a lot of companies, not sports bike. Explain it comes with bags for touring and the bimbo on the phone will place it in the correct category.

I'm reading as much as I can in as many forums as I can and have discovered.

1. the price is not all that bad for a bike with only 9K miles in the mid 7's.

2. A huge percentage of owners really like this bike as an end all rather then a temporary solution until they can "afford" what they really want..

But. I am really concerned about buying a bike used and out of warranty that may develop the ticking issue which the dealer won't deal with.

It seems like a crap shoot. I know internet is not reflective of all bikes and it is a small percentage but every forum has a few of these.

Is there anyway to know if the bike has had the repair or worse may need it?

Some will ask why not buy new?

It's a great idea but I have reached a point in my life where we have no debt. Houses, cars, etc. Our paychecks belong to us and it has taken so long to get to this point. I despise payments to anyone but myself and sacrifice buying new cars (and bikes). Besides I would not need to buy Collision and Comp insurance and spend that money instead on increased liability and uninsured coverage.

Tombo,

I am 2 hours from you and have an 06 with a Corbin seat and backrest. If you want to ride before you buy let me know and we can get together. The wife and I are riding up for a couple of days during bike week also. As for the 03, you may not be happy with the heat issue living in MB. I have not personally rode a pre-06 but from what I hear they are ankle and crotch burners. That is why I waited and bought a new 06. I am a 29 inch inseam also and have no trouble at all handling the bike. And no, I have not dropped mine.....yet.

But. I am really concerned about buying a bike used and out of warranty that may develop the ticking issue which the dealer won't deal with. It seems like a crap shoot. I know internet is not reflective of all bikes and it is a small percentage but every forum has a few of these.

Is there anyway to know if the bike has had the repair or worse may need it?

It's pretty much a roll of the dice TomBo ! Most are ticking by 10K if they're destined to do so, some small percentage tick later in life ( my 04 started at :( 26K ), and there some bikes over 80K that don't tick at all. B)

The dealer should be able to tell you if t's been repaired. He'll run the VIN through Yammie and it'll give the bike history, or if it's a non Yamaha dealer get the VIN and call Yamaha Cypress for the history.

To check if it needs the repair invest in a mechanics stethescope, they're cheap, ( or if your a shade tree mechanic ,, a really long screwdriver and put your ear on the handle ), listen to both sides of the motor at the head. Both sides should sound about the same, ( the right side, as your sitting on the bike , may be a little noisier as the cam chain is on that side ). If the left side ( clutch side ) is a LOT noisier, it may be developing the Tick.

Remember Yammie has picked up the tab in the USA of fixing all tickers for free. If your in lust for the bike, sounds as if you are , buy it, rack up 5K ASAP, and if it does not tick by 14K, your odds are pretty good it's a non ticker, then you can sleep at night ! :D

Thank You all. I really appreciate your replies and the offer to test ride. We will keep in touch on that one. am always leary about riding another's bike. But I can pay for it if I dump it.LOL

Yeah I have been "getting" the 2003 may not be the best choice. I also was thinking if I got even 3900 for the Honda and added another 5k There should be more choices for $9000 then a 2003. I had better slow down and look deeper and wider like i did finding my Shadow. I just thought maybe it was a great deal. (How stupid to think a stealer is going to allow a great deal).

All bikes have "bulletin" issues. I guess I am spoiled by a 20 year old motor in the Honda line. LOL

Thanks. I am enjoying the hunt and research....(Damn you Chornbe)

Tombo,

I can't say anything about the 2003 but I rode a 2005 and that's what sold me on the FJR. I didn't have time to sell my ST-1300 (clear title) and get a used '06 and as the dealer gave me such a great deal on trade in (in AZ we only pay tax on the difference) I went ahead and bought a 2007. I can't say enough about the bike. Absolutely the best I have ever owned. The 2005 I rode was seamless and had no heat problem that I could detect. The 2007 rides even cooler with the new heat management system (2006 & 2007). Anyhow, life is short and the weather is getting warmer. Hope you find the bike and deal you're looking for.

My inseam is 29", I weigh 175 and I have no problem handling the FJR. <_<

AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
(Damn you Chornbe)
Hey! All I did was post one little message saying "eh, it's an ok bike". Ya'll extrapolated your own messages from that ;)

It's the poor Arm Chair General who blames the messenger (or some shit like that) :lol:

(Damn you Chornbe)
Hey! All I did was post one little message saying "eh, it's an ok bike". Ya'll extrapolated your own messages from that ;)

It's the poor Arm Chair General who blames the messenger (or some shit like that) :lol:

Yeah Im relaxing in my recliner as I write. Blaming you for all the fun I am having researching and anticipating a new ride. Of course we have gale force winds and rain here which is taking the shine of my joy. But It is making me wonder if I can ride dry today! Its coming your way my friend.

There is some slight hesitation as I don't mind admitting other then a romp years ago on my brother's CBR900 (for a very short trade. He could not stand the Shadow) I have not been on a bike that powerful. The Magana VFR was pretty powerful and easy. I have visions of leaving a traffic light accidentally pulling the wheels leaving the wife in the intersection. but I did read where the throttle is not that touchy nor the bike that jumpy (unless you want it to be). Don't want to be one of those over 40 statistics.

Like anything new it will take some getting used to before I can ride on the back wheel down the Dragon.

(Damn you Chornbe)

Yeah Im relaxing in my recliner as I write. Blaming you for all the fun I am having researching and anticipating a new ride. Of course we have gale force winds and rain here which is taking the shine of my joy. But It is making me wonder if I can ride dry today! Its coming your way my friend.

There is some slight hesitation as I don't mind admitting other then a romp years ago on my brother's CBR900 (for a very short trade. He could not stand the Shadow) I have not been on a bike that powerful. The Magana VFR was pretty powerful and easy. I have visions of leaving a traffic light accidentally pulling the wheels leaving the wife in the intersection. but I did read where the throttle is not that touchy nor the bike that jumpy (unless you want it to be). Don't want to be one of those over 40 statistics.

Like anything new it will take some getting used to before I can ride on the back wheel down the Dragon.
You guys at it again :biggrinsmiley:

Per KBB.Com, retail on the FJR is $7855 and Trade-in is $5440. I would say sell your ride and come up with the difference for the FJR...............You wouldn't be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $8500 for my 03 in Oct 2006 with 3600 miles on her and the YES warranty. Not a scratch or mark on her. enjoy the ride, Jim

I'd pay $1000 to avoid the pain-in-the-ass of selling the motorcycle myself!

It sucks. People are dicks... And you are exposed the the very real possibility of getting it ripped off by a 'buyer'.

Take the trade in money. Your time is worth something.

It sucks. People are dicks... And you are exposed the the very real possibility of getting it ripped off by a 'buyer'.

+1. If the dealer is giving you garbage for your trade, then it would be worth selling it yourself. Time is a precious commodity, you never know how much you have. Get a small loan, then pay it off fast. Believe us, the FJR is worth paying for. It pays you back in smiles. :rolleyes:

P.S.- I wish you were closer Tom, I'd sell you my 03 before I trade it in this week.

I generally agree.

+1. If the dealer is giving you garbage for your trade, then it would be worth selling it yourself. Time is a precious commodity, you never know how much you have. Get a small loan, then pay it off fast. Believe us, the FJR is worth paying for. It pays you back in smiles. :rolleyes:

P.S.- I wish you were closer Tom, I'd sell you my 03 before I trade it in this week.
Ya'll should make a deal. I could deliver it for him.

I generally agree.

Yeah I called the dealer today and asked if the recall(s) were done on the bike. The Throttle was done. they knew nothing of the Ticking Bulletin. I'm waiting for a VIN number run to see if it has been done. I will also go there tomorrow and fire it up now that I have heard what it sounds like. If I can get the bike with $4k out of pocket. I'll take the risk.

Yeah my time is worth something and if the ticking risk was non existent Id be writing about the difference between the Shadow and the FJR......

Then again Looking at the new air-flow on the 06+.....ah shit man. Chornbe this is YOUR fault.

What are they giving on trade on the bike in Buffalo?

I generally agree.

Yeah I called the dealer today and asked if the recall(s) were done on the bike. The Throttle was done. they knew nothing of the Ticking Bulletin. I'm waiting for a VIN number run to see if it has been done. I will also go there tomorrow and fire it up now that I have heard what it sounds like. If I can get the bike with $4k out of pocket. I'll take the risk.

Yeah my time is worth something and if the ticking risk was non existent Id be writing about the difference between the Shadow and the FJR......

Then again Looking at the new air-flow on the 06+.....ah shit man. Chornbe this is YOUR fault.

What are they giving on trade on the bike in Buffalo?

IM probably gonna be a Giant PIA until I find one, :blink:

+1

Definitely some truth to that.

+1

Definitely some truth to that.

Here's a question some may be able to answer. When buying a used bike from a dealer do they offer EW's?

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/mcy/313282217.html There is my bike. Price is very high I know but i start there and work down. Dealer is offering $3000.

BTW my insurance quotes were as follows:

geico

100/300 Liability

100/300 Uninsured/under insured

$5000 Med payments

Comp $1000 deduct

$233 Yr

$473 Full

Foremost AARP

$300/500 coverages

$379

$540