Need advise on 2008 or 2011 to buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings Collective.

I need opinion...

which would you buy and why:

2008 (black) with 10k miles, two brothers exhuast, windshield upgrade, cruise, and new pilot power 2's and HID running lights. 90% plus condition (small scuff on the RR bag) $9995 OTD. i know i know.... too much...

2011 (Silver) New. $12786 out the door. screaming deal? or not??

they are only $2700 apart in price.

I'm a 20 year rider... owned a dozen bikes... currently riding the VFR... and love it. thought it would be the last bike i would ever own.

BUT:

i spent a week on the brother in laws FJR... and it will do 90+% of what the VFR will do as far as carving the turns... and they still can't catch me and my knee is still worn out :)

pretty amazing bike. PLUS it will tour and commute well.

i need your thoughts... the VFR is for sale and must sell before i buy, but above are the two i'm looking at...

i really like the black, (prefer the 09 color scheme, but i'm beggin, not choosin)

i'm sure the silver is cooler in the summer... and may not ever fade.

also, i know the 2011 has heated grips standard...

just need some input...

Last edited by a moderator:
Go black. It is simply a better deal. Those extras are nice...and 10k means its already broken in for you..............

I like the 08 also..

Might try to work on that price at little, I wouldn't call it "too much". I would call it the high end of a fair deal.

With all the stuff, the '08 is the clear winner.

The color's not going to affect the heat perception, that will be handled entirely by the big yellow thing in the sky.

im with scotty I think it is the high end of a fair deal. when you sell your bike and have cash in hand look your cash will speak loud plus coming to end of this year its a buyers market also keep your eye open for bikes with extended warranty not a deal breaker but a little peace of mind

all in all its your choice and you need to be happy with the deal

Greetings Collective.

I need opinion...

which would you buy and why:

2008 (black) with 10k miles, two brothers exhaust, windshield upgrade, cruise, and new pilot power 2's and HID running lights. 90% plus condition (small scuff on the RR bag) $9995 OTD. i know i know.... too much...

2011 (Silver) New. $12786 out the door. screaming deal? or not??

they are only $2700 apart in price.

I'm a 20 year rider... owned a dozen bikes... currently riding the VFR... and love it. thought it would be the last bike i would ever own.

BUT:

i spent a week on the brother in laws FJR... and it will do 90+% of what the VFR will do as far as carving the turns... and they still can't catch me and my knee is still worn out :)

pretty amazing bike. PLUS it will tour and commute well.

i need your thoughts... the VFR is for sale and must sell before i buy, but above are the two I'm looking at...

i really like the black, (prefer the 09 color scheme, but I'm beggin, not choosin)

i'm sure the silver is cooler in the summer... and may not ever fade.

also, i know the 2011 has heated grips standard...

just need some input...
The 2008 has some nice extras but I am surprised it doesn't have a power commander installed. If it doesn't you will be putting one in soon. Infamous stalling issues on the 08's. Next question? Does it come with YES agreement?

Two brothers? Do you like the extra noise? Do you get the stock exhaust with the deal?

Windscreens are like women everyone has preferences. Some peeps go through 3 or 4 before they get the right one. ;)

The price seems a bit high on the O8 if you can get them down some I would go for it. If not I am leaning towards 2011 especially if you can't get the YES on the 08.

Just my opinion, I do like the black bike better then the liquid silver.

Dave

Both are too much. Patience. Why not finish the summer on your VFR, sell it, and wait for a smoking deal on an FJR which will come along?

Both are too much. Patience. Why not finish the summer on your VFR, sell it, and wait for a smoking deal on an FJR which will come along?
Didn't take long, just posted.

CLICKY

Never had any stalling issues here...
Your one of the lucky ones. Well discussed here back in 08. I brought it back to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. Once I put the PCIII in it never happened again.

Damn near killed myself in the middle of the road a few times. My guess it was setup way to lean at the factory.

Dave

I would be partial to the O8. All those extras is money saved and more importantly; TIME saved. You should wait until the middle of winter though. Better deals right before X-mas. I just picked up an 07 for 8200. It only had 1100 miles on it. You should be looking at wholesalers.....

The 2008 has some nice extras but I am surprised it doesn't have a power commander installed. If it doesn't you will be putting one in soon. Infamous stalling issues on the 08's. Next question? Does it come with YES agreement?
This one is news to me... No Power Commander, and never a stall issue. At best I had a stumble due to low RPM from the dealership.

Is there any warranty on the 2008? For that price delta, I would be tempted to go with the new one and it's warranty. YMMV.

Ken

Either one will be an excellent machine as you're getting most of the improvements that are available with the '08 and up. Pricing needs to be more aggressive on the '08 to really make it desirable.

Good luck with the decision!

--G

Howdy,

Against the breeze...I would lean toward the 11.

New tires, a draw, new bike has them too, unless brand is important.

Windshield upgrade, a draw.

Two bros pipes only valuable if you like them.

Warranty has value.

Being able to break in your own machine, priceless.

For me the accessories are a draw and only worth it if you specifically value them. $10K is too high. You cam still find leftover 10's for $11,500, $12,500 for s '11 isn't bad. After all, for a ~$15,500 list machine u can only expect them to give up so much:)