need alignment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
Changed front tire and now bike steers to left at low to medium speeds with hands off the bars. Crown of road does not matter, nor shift of body weight. I'll disassemble/reassemble axle and clamps this week to see if that takes care of it. If not, will have to take the springs out for a full compression alignment.

Anyone have this problem before?

That is odd

I would say check to see that the tire direction is mounted correctly, but that realy would ony affect wet grip.

Did you get your spacer on the wrong side or leave one out?

Get the front end up (so you can spin the wheel/tire), look for runout and or wobble at the tire. Did you get the bead fully seated when the tire got changed.

Make sure that you didn't twist the forks when you were tightening the axle.

Make sure that you tighten the axle first, then the pinch bolt. Also check the spacers are correctly installed.

Old "How To"

Changed front tire and now bike steers to left at low to medium speeds with hands off the bars. Crown of road does not matter, nor shift of body weight. I'll disassemble/reassemble axle and clamps this week to see if that takes care of it. If not, will have to take the springs out for a full compression alignment.Anyone have this problem before?
Before you go to all that work, loosen the pinch bolt and axle and then push the front end down hard a few times while the bike is on the center stand. Then tighten it up. That may straighten things out if it wasn't put back together that way.

I think you've already done that, but it would be an easy fix!

Fred W. and Mr. Bill

That's the approach I was thinking of taking. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Beaded properly, runs smooth, no wobble at speed (some at low speed once yesterday when I did the no-hands check).

Right spacer can only go on one way.

Left side has the ABS setup.

I did not have a socket for the left nut, which seemed to be a 22 or 23mm, so relied only on torqueing the axle's internal hex a lot. Tightened left (2) pinch bolts, then right.

In retrospect, should have used an even torque sequence.

Will pick up new tools for the adjustment this weekend.

Thanks.

Fred W. and Mr. BillThat's the approach I was thinking of taking. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Beaded properly, runs smooth, no wobble at speed (some at low speed once yesterday when I did the no-hands check).

Right spacer can only go on one way.

Left side has the ABS setup.

I did not have a socket for the left nut, which seemed to be a 22 or 23mm, so relied only on torqueing the axle's internal hex a lot. Tightened left (2) pinch bolts, then right.

In retrospect, should have used an even torque sequence.

Will pick up new tools for the adjustment this weekend.

Thanks.
Avon tire?

Only dual compound sport-touring skin hanging up was the Conti Road Attack. All others too soft. Don't think it is the tire. Just need to fine-tune my unscheduled tire-change work.

Still felt great and inspired confidence at triple-dig. on way home.