Need help finding GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I am looking for any advice on a GPS for my wife. Will be used in car only so water proof is Not needed. I have been looking at the garmin Nuvi line like the NUvi 760. Just wanted to check if anyone has experience or other sggestions

Looking for something 250-300 Dollars and a larger screen that easy to see.

Thanks for any help.

I've got a NUVI 200W widescreen that works really great. It doesn't "speak" the street names but it works just fine. They typically can be found for under $200.00. There has been some really great deals out there lately on the Garmin line and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, it just depends on how many bells and whistles you want. If she is anything like my Michelle if its to complicated she may not want to use it. :unsure:

OTOH, if your wife is anything like the women around here (wife and 2 daughters) it seems they can't drive without the cell phone going off at least once per trip. Having the Bluetooth hands free through the GPS is a great feature and makes their driving safer. Highly recommended for the extra $$. Once you get it paired for them, it's all automatic from then on. Simple.

I find the title of this thread ironic.

I too have the 200W, and it has been great in the car. It's not bad on the bike, either, and the price is right for a no-frills GPS. Oh, and the widescreen is pretty cool.

I too have the 200W, and it has been great in the car. It's not bad on the bike, either, and the price is right for a no-frills GPS. Oh, and the widescreen is pretty cool.
I too wondered whether to make a comment on the title.

I suppose you never plan to come on a ride up here in Canada with that 200 . . . the 200 only has maps for the US onboard.

I run a 760 with the MSN Direct receiver in the cage and a Zumo 550 on the bike, but my all time favourite is the 276c and it's cousins.

I'd personally recommend buying a waterproof unit (276 series, 2000 series, Quest, Nuvi 500 series or Zumo) if you plan to use it on the bike - not that you will necessary scrap the unit by riding in the rain if you use a baggie, but I believe in doing things right.

Besides, you can buy a 2730 cheap ($170) - and it comes with the XM receiver!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too wondered whether to make a comment on the title.

I suppose you never plan to come on a ride up here in Canada with that 200 . . . the 200 only has maps for the US onboard.

I run a 760 with the MSN Direct receiver in the cage and a Zumo 550 on the bike, but my all time favourite is the 276c and it's cousins.

I'd personally recommend buying a waterproof unit (276 series, 2000 series, Quest, Nuvi 500 series or Zumo) if you plan to use it on the bike - not that you will necessary scrap the unit by riding in the rain if you use a baggie, but I believe in doing things right.

Besides, you can buy a 2730 cheap ($170) - and it comes with the XM receiver!!
I currentlly have a 378C on my FJR with XM weather sattellite and it is Great.

I use to have a 2730 but I am thinking the screen will be to small for my wife.

My main goal will be ease of use and good screen.

Also I do venture in to the the Great land of Canada on occassian so I am leaning toward the 760 Nuvi.

Also I didnt even think about that title until Kolonial72 pointed it out.

Thanks for your help.

Check on garmin.com. I read a post a while back that they were selling reconditioned 2720s for $135 and 2730s (has xm radio) for $185. Ian, Iowa

Might want to look at the 250W then. I just returned mine after my trip down to WV. It was VERY fast at acquiring satellites, actually, very fast overall. Spoken street names, US & Canada maps, huge POI db, accepts SD memory cards and widescreen was easy to use even in bright sunlight.

Didn't do routes though. I ended up getting it on sale up here in Canada for $175. Should be much cheaper down there. I did have to purchase a wall receptacle and data chord seperately (didn't even use the latter).

Recommended, especially for the price.

Quest's are rugged as hell and cheap. You can get one for about $75 if you shop online. However they may not fit your needs because the screen is small. I have a couple of them because I bought one of those pricey Touratech mounts and can quickly slap it on any kind of bike without it getting in in the way.

I just cant justify the extra cost of the Zumo, when you can get all those features and more in a standard GPS that easily swapps between cycle & car. The ony thing you loose is the ability to use in in all weather. I cant remember what GPS I have (havent seen it in 15 months..... :dribble: ) But is a Garmin Nuvi of some number. I just swap it between car and cycle, if it rains into the ziplock bag and saddlebag till things dry out. No biggie.

Will be upgrading in the Spring, not sure what I will get.

I just cant justify the extra cost of the Zumo, when you can get all those features and more in a standard GPS that easily swapps between cycle & car. The ony thing you loose is the ability to use in in all weather. I cant remember what GPS I have (havent seen it in 15 months..... :dribble: ) But is a Garmin Nuvi of some number. I just swap it between car and cycle, if it rains into the ziplock bag and saddlebag till things dry out. No biggie.
Will be upgrading in the Spring, not sure what I will get.

Please, tell me what GPS it is that has all the Zumo features (except water proof) that you are referring to, 'cause I sure don't know the one.

I'll jump in and say that TomTom sucks. At least as far as North America is concerned. Garmin rules the roost.

If you want a waterproof Nuvi, the 500 series is for you.

I recommend for a car the Garmin nuvi 260w, the most inexpensive gps that Garwin sells what says the actual street names and is the big, wide screen. On amazon, $219 new and $159 refurb total with free shipping on both. I bought two of the refurbs and they work like new. I wanted these for each of my cars after my wife bought a new car and saw how much I use my Zumo. I like & use the bluetooth on the Zumo while I ride as I have a Cardo Scaler headset on one helmet and a Motorola 830 bike headset on another. I definitely like a GPS that speaks the street names. Well, for the cars, I didn't really want bluetooth, but wanted the speaking street names.

I got tired of moving the Zumo from the bike to the car & back, so that's why I purchased a 260w for myself and my car. Much more inexpensive than a Zumo itself.

CLICKY

I wouldn't sweat the negatives - he has more than 30,000 positives in the same period. That represents a very small percentage of his buyers.

And no, the 2000 series are vehicle-only GPS units and have no battery.