Need some advice on Y.E.S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not fooling myself at all... I think perhaps the reverse may be true.

Just because you happened to have hit a soft market on AEs doesn't mean that the YES didn't make your bike worth a more to a potential buyer than it was without it. In fact, you even state yourself that it may make it so you would be able to sell it over another same bike without YES. How is that not worth $$? :unsure:

Not fooling myself at all... I think perhaps the reverse may be true.Just because you happened to have hit a soft market on AEs doesn't mean that the YES didn't make your bike worth a more to a potential buyer than it was without it. In fact, you even state yourself that it may make it so you would be able to sell it over another same bike without YES. How is that not worth $$? :unsure:
While driving to look at a used 09 FJR I talked myself out of it before I got there. Hey I already have 3 bikes. Anyway the 09 was like new/ beautiful and offered at a very, very reasonable price. So I said drop $500 and I might be interested. He said "ok", but I wasn't sold but on the fence. Then he told me he had the warranty that would expire May 2013...Hmmm things are looking better and that little advantage made me close the deal. So yes in some occasions a transferable warranty might help a resale. Having written this I've never purchased an extended warranty on any bike and I've never needed it. Some might say that I purchased this one as his price would have been lower if he didn't buy it. Maybe but if you knew the price I paid for this pristine bike you'd know I got a great deal with warranty included.

Bill

as a general rule, extended warranties are rarely used.......on anything.......
Spend that money on gas and taking trips and IF later something does require $750 in repairs then you can spend the money.
he's got an AE with an electronic clutch...more complicated and potentially problematic than us "A" models

I personally would skip it on a A, but would bite and get it on an AE

I have no extended on my desktop PC, but feel I need to have one on my Laptop/Notebook

That's my comfort line/break

So yes in some occasions a transferable warranty might help a resale. Having written this I've never purchased an extended warranty on any bike and I've never needed it. Some might say that I purchased this one as his price would have been lower if he didn't buy it. Maybe but if you knew the price I paid for this pristine bike you'd know I got a great deal with warranty included. Bill
You know, Bill, we all got rockin' good deals on our FJRs.

When you get right down to it, these things are a steal at msrp!! ;)

Not fooling myself at all... I think perhaps the reverse may be true.Just because you happened to have hit a soft market on AEs doesn't mean that the YES didn't make your bike worth a more to a potential buyer than it was without it. In fact, you even state yourself that it may make it so you would be able to sell it over another same bike without YES. How is that not worth $$? :unsure:
I was fooling myself when I thought that Y.E.S. would be a factor in resale. Since you aren't trying to resell, I suppose technically you're correct.

Farkles have been orphans for decades, unless they start with the names Rickman, or Matisse and are sufficiently old.

I have one real data point from a seller's perspective. However that seller's data point is comprised of many buyer's perspectives. The bike was listed on this forum, it was parked at a Yamaha dealership, and it was offered on ebay. There were offers, and they were all comparable to the trade value by Kelly Blue Book for a totally unfarkled bike with more mileage. The Yamaha dealer said it wouldn't affect their asking, or accepting price. When the bike eventually got traded on the Triumph Rocket III, the trading dealer said "Cancel Y.E.S. and take the refund. It will have no affect on what we get for the bike."

He turned out to be right. They took two months to sell it, dropping the price several times, and when it finally sold, it went for just a few hundred over the trade in value for an unfarkled higher mileage FJR. No dealer mark up over the trade value. FJR's were in a buyer's market this past year, and it may continue. True for many bikes, not just the FJR.

40 years ago I worked in sales for one of the larger Honda dealerships in New England, and earlier and later worked in service at that same dealership, eventually becoming service manager in 1973 before moving on to other things. We had more than 600 units a year sales volume through two stores. Farkles are generally of greater value to the farkler than to the prospective farklee. It has always been so.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't play the Y.E.S. lottery. You may win. That's one of the great things about free capitalism. Folks are free to offer farkles, and other folks are free to buy them... or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm not selling, but it wouldn't matter now because the YES on my '05 expired a year ago this month, totally unused by me.

So why am I such a big proponent? Because I was a used bike buyer back in '06 and I appreciated greatly having the YES warranty in force on my bike purchase, even though I was lucky enough that it wasn't needed.

I bought my '05 from a used bike dealership (via eBay sale). I paid around $9k for a year old bike with 10k miles on it, which seemed like a decent deal at that time. I would have been extremely apprehensive about such an expensive purchase of a used bike except that it came with the transferable YES warranty for 3 years to come. That assured me that I would not get stuck with someone else's troubles. In my position as a buyer at that time, I would have gladly paid more for the bike by more than the cost of YES coverage for the protection and backing of the manufacturer.

If you were involved in a shop, then you should already know that the "book" value on motorcycles are pretty much of a joke. For one thing, unlike for cars, they have no adjustment for mileage. They tell you what nominal retail and wholesale is for the bike based on age, and what the nominal mileage is for the bike of its type and age, but no guide for the adjustment for mileage not in that range. There is also no variable for "condition", which can be a big factor in bike resale prices. A bike that has been ridden hard and put away wet, much as many folks on this forum are apt to, and maybe flopped on the pavement a few times for good measure, will sell for a lot less than a garage queen only ridden on sunny days and cleaned and polished after every ride. Yet they are valued the same "by the book".

Using book values on cars works because they are (mostly) transportation appliances. Special interest cars are different, as are pretty much all motorcycles. Yes, they can be used as economical transportation, but for most of us they are a hobby. Something we are passionate about. This is especially true in the northern climes where the riding season is shorter and a bike can't be relied upon as sole transportation. People will definitely spend a whole lot more for hobbies that they are passionate about than for a mere transportation appliance. But, in a down economy, it is also the hobby items that take the biggest hit in actual sales value as people trim their personal expenses.

I can't explain the thought process of the dealership where you traded your FJR. All I can say is there a lot of people in business that are not too knowledgeable in what they do. There is no question in my mind that, if they had retained the YES, and made that well known to potential buyers, they would have definitely been able to get more for the bike than what they did. What possible justification is there otherwise? The fact that they got barely more than wholesale seems to me to be evidence that they took the wrong approach and are just pretty crappy salesmen.

I agree 100% with you on your other points about add-on farkles value: All other accessories are pretty much of a wash. It is one big mistake that sellers often make when valuing their used bikes. They assume that because they wanted the farkles that everyone will want them. Maybe, for the exact right buyer, but maybe not. You will always get more money by separating the sale of the farkles from the stock bike. That way you know for certain the buyer of the used farkle really wants it, and it is worth something to him.

Farkles that are not easily reversible are a bit more of a problem. Ask a Realtor about selling homes with built-in swimming pools. Does it increase the value of a property? Not really because it eliminates so many buyers who do not want a pool and don't want to pay the cost of removing it. Same thing applies to most of the farkles.

But I really think that a YES warranty is different from "farkles" in that it is actually protecting the buyer from a major financial loss in the even that their brief inspection of the bike being purchased happens not to reveal a major hidden mechanical problem. Especially at the paltry cost that they are available at.

If you don't need or ever use the YES, it is really no big deal. I mean really, what is $350-$400 on a $9-10k (or more when new) bike purchase? But if you do need it, it can be a very, very big deal.

PS - I'm very curious which Boston area dealership you worked in. We may have mutual friends we don't know about. PM me if you don't feel comfortable saying where in public.

Having started the thread by announcing he had decided to spend the money, several of the responders seem to have been trying to get the OP to change his mind.

While this discussion about the relative merits of buying YES in the first place and having it when selling as machine is interesting (seriously), we have strayed way off the original topic and, being Tuesday (with a Thursday deadline, I am wondering what progress has been made on 'doing the deed' by our intrepid Floridian errr . . . . Michigonian perhaps?.

How about an update?

Hey Guys,
first I want to say thanks to everyone for the forum and the invaluable information it provides!!

Now to my question. My warranty is about ot expire and I'm contemplating the Y.E.S program, but I live in Florida and cannot buy a warranty from D&H for 389, like so many have already done. The cost is $750 and I've already tried to haggle but no dice. The dealer stated they cannot discount the warranty...Florida law or some BS like that. That said, do any of you think its worth it or should I just dismiss the idea and hope for the best. I have an 08 AE with 8K.

Thanks!

Bramfrank,

Our interpretations of the above question seem to be quite different.

I would say that all posts have thus far been (surprisingly) on topic.

My take was that he was fine to buy it for $389 - but was wondering if it was worth $750 plus tax . . . having given him the mechanism by which he might get it for $389, the question was moot.

As you said, different interpretations, though I think the fact that OP actually wanted to pay the money to D&H does clarify his position.

But I really think that a YES warranty is different from "farkles" in that it is actually protecting the buyer from a major financial loss in the even that their brief inspection of the bike being purchased happens not to reveal a major hidden mechanical problem. Especially at the paltry cost that they are available at. If you don't need or ever use the YES, it is really no big deal. I mean really, what is $350-$400 on a $9-10k (or more when new) bike purchase? But if you do need it, it can be a very, very big deal.
How un-reliable is the Yamaha FJR?

If you read this Forum, you may come to the conclusion that failures are rampant with the bike?

Maybe a poll is needed? -- to statistically show the amount and type of failures? (even that would be flawed b/c of using only Forum folks)

If the real chance of failure is quite low -- why get involved with the protection racket? :unsure:

Then too, given the general predisposition against most dealership's service departments (commonly displayed on this Forum) -- why would Y.E.S. believers want to take their bike there...? :unsure:

Because a new headlight reflector costs more than YES and I will have had two replaced, along with fork seals.

If you ride miles, things can happen.

Besides; it is cheap - less than $10 a month.

But I really think that a YES warranty is different from "farkles" in that it is actually protecting the buyer from a major financial loss in the even that their brief inspection of the bike being purchased happens not to reveal a major hidden mechanical problem. Especially at the paltry cost that they are available at. If you don't need or ever use the YES, it is really no big deal. I mean really, what is $350-$400 on a $9-10k (or more when new) bike purchase? But if you do need it, it can be a very, very big deal.
How un-reliable is the Yamaha FJR?

If you read this Forum, you may come to the conclusion that failures are rampant with the bike?

Maybe a poll is needed? -- to statistically show the amount and type of failures? (even that would be flawed b/c of using only Forum folks)

If the real chance of failure is quite low -- why get involved with the protection racket? :unsure:

Then too, given the general predisposition against most dealership's service departments (commonly displayed on this Forum) -- why would Y.E.S. believers want to take their bike there...? :unsure:
Good question. As most of us here know through experience, the FJR is incredibly reliable. Forums exist so people can bring their problems to light, so naturally you read more about these problems than you do about those who have no problems. I'm sure that a poll would overwhelmingly show that we get soundly beaten by YES. Most of us never make a single claim against the policy. That is a given with any extended warranty.

In a sense of "direct return on investment," one is not very likely to get their $350's worth in parts or service out of one of these warranties. But that's kind of my point. There is the intangible sense of security that the new buyer will gain and also can readily convey to a second hand buyer. That has to be worth something. Neither a new bike buyer nor the prospective secondhand buyers are likely to know in advance just how reliable these things are.

And even with a bike as extremely reliable as the FJR there will always be a few that will have the rare major mechanical problem. Re: the final drive failure guy here. He was lucky enough to have paid his $350. I would not like to have plunked down the sizable investment for an FJR and then be faced with replacing a FD on it 2 years later. Or the wiring harness. And not every guy feels competent enough with a wrench to replace a noisy CCT or disassemble and clean the sticky clutch plates. What about the guys that end up with AE shift error codes? One of these things would cost considerably more than the paltry $350 investment to address.

Hey Guys,
first I want to say thanks to everyone for the forum and the invaluable information it provides!!

Now to my question. My warranty is about ot expire and I'm contemplating the Y.E.S program, but I live in Florida and cannot buy a warranty from D&H for 389, like so many have already done. The cost is $750 and I've already tried to haggle but no dice. The dealer stated they cannot discount the warranty...Florida law or some BS like that. That said, do any of you think its worth it or should I just dismiss the idea and hope for the best. I have an 08 AE with 8K.

Thanks!
I am kind of late to the party, but when I bought my YES from D&H they took care of the address changes with Yamaha for me. All I had to do was tell them my non-Florida address send them the money.

My local dealer in Okeechobee said it was against Florida law (this of course is Bull-S#!t) for them to discount the YES. My local dealer did not make any money on YES from me.

My local dealer in Okeechobee said it was against Florida law (this of course is Bull-S#!t)
It's not really B.S. Again, a reminder that the State of Florida considers the Y.E.S. an insurance policy, not just some off-the-shelf extended warranty thing. Thus, the price of a given term policy is fixed by the state, not by the dealer.

It's a Florida thing...not a Yamaha thing.

My local dealer in Okeechobee said it was against Florida law (this of course is Bull-S#!t)
It's not really B.S. Again, a reminder that the State of Florida considers the Y.E.S. an insurance policy, not just some off-the-shelf extended warranty thing. Thus, the price of a given term policy is fixed by the state, not by the dealer.

Nice non sequitur! Why should your state set the price of insurance?

Why would you think I, least of anyone, would know why a state government does anything that it does? :p

Why do FJRs sold in California have vapor recovery systems when the rest of the U.S. doesn't? Because the California Air Research Board says they must.

Same with the Florida Department of Insurance Regulation.

Why would you think I, least of anyone, would know why a state government does anything that it does? :p

Why do FJRs sold in California have vapor recovery systems when the rest of the U.S. doesn't? Because the California Air Research Board says they must.

Same with the Florida Department of Insurance Regulation.
I dunno...seems that many ignore those ridiculous Florida regulations...I hear few adhere to the "Manatee Protection Act"...right, Howie ... :yahoo:

I don't really know what I am talking about... so here goes.

If the price of a given term policy is fixed by the state, then why is an insurance policy from provider "A" priced differently from a (seemingly) identical insurance policy from provider "B"?

Also if the state of FloriDUH "fixes" the price of YES, why is the price the same as the list price in all of the other states? :rolleyes:

I thought that Florida simply disallows residents from buying "insurance" from non-Florida companies. The reason for this is to prohibit an out-of-state company from selling insurance and then skipping town whenever the claims start coming in. Thus the state is protecting us. Thank you FloriDUH. :blink:

Thanks for all the input.

I recall calling D&H a while back and they did not offer to call in the change for me, but told me I had to change my address in the system before they could process the warranty request. I did call Yamaha and they stated that I needed to change the address with the dealer. She offered to change the contact information, but that wasn't the address tied to the VIN. At that point I decided that I'm just too close to the deadline and over the rigmarole so I just paid the $750 at the dealer here in Jax. The fact that it is an AE with all the options, and I only paid $10900 + tax... , it was worth the investment. Now that I have piece of mind, I can start planning my next 4K trip. :rolleyes:

Latest posts