Never ending heat issue MAY be...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Showbart

Reaction score
...ENDING!!

We are having unseasonably hot weather for early Spring, even for Texas. I'm running full a Holeshot system and have ridden at the hottest time of day w/ temps in the low-mid 90's, high humidity and low pressure. The bike runs alot cooler. Again these are not very, very hot conditions but I was stuck in traffic twice w/ no discomfort. My main goal w/ the full system was to reduce heat. Dale Walker said he felt confident that his full system design would be reducing heat. It does. We'll see what the happens this Summer when it's really hot.

His system is coated, correct? If it is that would explain part of the heat going away. I think the major contributor of the heat relief would be getting rid of the convertor. I wish that header worked with aftermarket mufflers like my Leos.

Rick

Yes, ceramic coated in/out. Call him. I think he may be addressing the issue of running cans other the stock or his. (You don't need to be told that you could sell your Leos).

Couple of questions for the short bus riders here....

Would adding those headers, mean that you would have to get a power commander?

What other changes would you have to make if you remove the O2 sensors, and Cat..

What all - would I be looking at changing if I were to get something like that...

thanks

Warp

With the full system you need the Power Commander and a Fender Extender. Dale supplies you with a custom fuel map and insists that you buy a $14 fender extender to protect the ceramic finish which is under warranty. I'm glad I did it. It sounds awesome and the PCIII is trick. The bike runs like a scalded ape.

With the full system you need the Power Commander and a Fender Extender. Dale supplies you with a custom fuel map and insists that you buy a $14 fender extender to protect the ceramic finish which is under warranty. I'm glad I did it. It sounds awesome and the PCIII is trick. The bike runs like a scalded ape.
And all that for only $$$?

Lets see:

PCIII with tax and shipping around $300

Holeshot full system around $1000

Custom map around $300

Misc parts and installation $400

The way the FJR runs and sound PRICELESS!!!!!!

Sounds like a money pit....just go and buy a harley and you can go through the same thing.....for parts.

Sure, but you being in Texas would benefit tremendously from the heat issue, if you have one. Plus the performance is better than any stock bike. But to each his own said the man who kissed the cow.

What has it done to your gas mileage? No cat anymore?

Haven't really had a chance to check it yet. With the Holeshot cans and the PCIII there is a slight dip in gas milage, on mine less than 10%, but I believe the improved performance with less heat and no surging at low speed is worth it for me.

Mileage isn't any worse than with the D&D's and Wallys map in the PC. Oh, and no custom map needed, Dales works fine. Misc parts and install? Save your dough, one of the easier installs you'll do on the Feej. It is cooler, if nothing else no 600 degree cats by your feet, summer will determine overall improvement if any. Many positive comments on both the sound and the cleaned up look. Have some used centerstand brackets coming, the header doesn't use the center mounts, and they sit so close to the header it's tough to clean that area, so I'll cut off the exhaust brackets from the new stand brackets for further incredible weight savings! Oooooh, I'm gonna be sooooo fast.......... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets seePCIII with tax and shipping around $300

Holeshot full system around $1000

Custom map around $300

Misc parts and installation $400:

I thought Dale was supplying the custom map with the exhaust....

So In my eyes, its more like $1000. for full exhaust, and $300. for PCIII

+ $14.00 for the Fenda Extenda...

Please Correct me if Im wrong....

I believe Dale provides his standard map with the header.

So it's ~$1300 for the DIY'er if you don't have a PCIII already. Hey, nice number!

fjrvtx1300s had his custom mapped at the shop that installed his header.

Rad says the provided map works fine, as it should.

Maybe fjrvtx1300s will enlighten us as to why he spent extra for the custom map? I'm guessin' he got talked into it.

No I did not get talked into it. Actually Dale paid for most of the dyno run. I wanted to see the difference between the map Dale supplied and a custom from his wrench. Turns out runs better with more hp's and we put the economy on the fuel consumption during cruising highway speeds. So it worked out real well. Anyway Richard at Cycle Imports will do a custom map for around $200 from 0% throttle to 100% throttle. If you have a map installed he will clean that up from $70-$140 depending on Dyno time. This guy is good. Even has a few of Dales drag bikes in his shop.

Quick question on this topic. Can you use Dale's headers with factory mufflers and if so how much is it for just the headers? If this will help with the heat that would be great.

Quick question on this topic. Can you use Dale's headers with factory mufflers and if so how much is it for just the headers? If this will help with the heat that would be great.
Yes, check his website and yes.

Most of the heat seems to come from the pipes, Accelerate hard and the heat emissions rise very rapidly. This is from the pipes as it takes much longer for the heat to build in the cooling system.

The full system without the cats should really help.

Evidentially the same applies with the ST 1300 as my buddy has pointed out who owns one. Full systems run a cooler environment for the rider and it's because there are no longer cats to cook you.

Been away a bit. Went riding on 101 degree day w/ high humidity. The headers definitely reduce heat. Alot. No question. And yeah, the map is free from Dale. Can't imagine trying to get more out of the map but go for it. I guess the $400 for parts was integral to the allusion the Mastercard joke. You just need silicon gasket sealer and Dale insists that you buy and install (and he'll be able to tell on any return) the Fenda Extenda for him to support the 18 month warranty. The pipes are unprotected at the very bottom so it's a good idea. I wouldn't run headers w/ stock cans but thats me. Might not be a bad idea. The sound is awesome 98% of the time. IMO the FJR is a buzzy bike by nature and there' a couple of spots at lower rpms that are annoying. The fix for the buzz, and it's not 100% IMHO, is to keep it corked up