NEW '08 owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greetings all,

The good: :yahoo: :hyper: Just picked up my '08 yesterday. Put all of the 169 miles on her (test drove her with 0 miles on her, not even the wrenchmonkeys rode her) with a hugh grin on my face all the way. Got a smokin deal from the folks at Cochise motorsports in Sierra Vista. One of my best experiences buying from a dealer (car or bike) ever. I cannot say enough good things about Cliff (owner) and Dan who did my paperwork.

The bad: :blink: :read: First FARKLE DECISION! So, I am looking at sliders now, and notice that there are a few different makers out there, but it seems that most prefer Skyway. I checked and skyway offers something called DELRIN and aluminum. The DELRIN would look great as they are black, but I want the best protection for the bike. So I am wondering if anybody knows the difference between the two?

The ugly: : :angry: :ranting2: :realmad: blink: I am coming off a '04 connie that cost me $400 a year to insure with twice the minimum coverages. So far the quotes I am getting(online) are in the $1400-$1500 range. WTF? is it really that much? I am looking at minimum coverage and $1ooo deductable! So far have looked at Markel (current policy) and GEICO.

Using Google: aluminum sliders site:fjrforum.com This link will provide you with discussion and comparison between Delrin (plastic) and aluminum sliders.

Sliders can be purchased from any source. I have Skyway's on my '05 (Moko bases that you don't need for a NewGen), you can also try Wild Hair Accesories. There are others, but you can do your own searching and shopping.

Yep....insurance is expensive. Powerful bike that many people damage...and the repairs aren't cheap.

So how much from Cochise?

Congrats on the new FJR. As for insurance, you really need shop around. When I bought the FJR, I had do drop Markel because of the $$$ rates they wanted to charge, and Geico quoted me $1800 a year. I ended up going with Progessive and pay about $600 a year. Shop around and check many insurance companies.

I was 10,500 OTD with my '04 Connie trade in, and a 3 year YES.

I am finding Progressive a little better and esurance at $866 for 100,000/300,000 with a $1000 deductable.

Anybody have experience with esurance?

Greg

I was 10,500 OTD with my '04 Connie trade in, and a 3 year YES.
I am finding Progressive a little better and esurance at $866 for 100,000/300,000 with a $1000 deductable.

Anybody have experience with esurance?

Greg
No experience with esuance...

But I did find out that a lot of your insurance costs depend on stuff like...

where you live, and that you put the bike donw as Pleasure only, even if you do drive it to work, you dot' have it as your main ride.

Your driving record, especially accidents....

your credit rating... I'm paying more because I supposedly didn't have any credit cards before I was 35... Sears doesn't count...

how many drivers.... with Progressive, at least in Ohio, the more driver's the cheaper. don't make sense,m but WTF!

and some other garbage I forget...

And make SURE they rate the FJR as a touring bike. If they have it listed a s sport bike, it's at least double.

Bigger cruisers are cheaper than smaller bikes, they figure the guys that have $30000 tied up in a Harley will take care of it

I think they mean not ride it too much! <G>

My 2003 Honda VTX1300 Retro was half the cost of the 1995 VLX Honda 600! And I had my 18 yr old son's name down as main driver.

So that's why it's important to tell them it has saddle bags and a windshield just like a big Harley, and that you take trips on it .... <LOL>

Even tho Progressive is progressive ( and I mean that in a bad way) their rates are a bit better.

Have fun, and get some sliders!

mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gregory, I went with State Farm. As long as they have your cars and house covered they are pretty reasonable on motorcycles. They go strictly by cc's. I pay around $400.00. If you just get a quote from them on a bike alone it would probably be high.

Greetings all,
The good: :yahoo: :hyper: Just picked up my '08 yesterday. Put all of the 169 miles on her (test drove her with 0 miles on her, not even the wrenchmonkeys rode her) with a hugh grin on my face all the way. Got a smokin deal from the folks at Cochise motorsports in Sierra Vista. One of my best experiences buying from a dealer (car or bike) ever. I cannot say enough good things about Cliff (owner) and Dan who did my paperwork.

The bad: :blink: :read: First FARKLE DECISION! So, I am looking at sliders now, and notice that there are a few different makers out there, but it seems that most prefer Skyway. I checked and skyway offers something called DELRIN and aluminum. The DELRIN would look great as they are black, but I want the best protection for the bike. So I am wondering if anybody knows the difference between the two?

The ugly: : :angry: :ranting2: :realmad: blink: I am coming off a '04 connie that cost me $400 a year to insure with twice the minimum coverages. So far the quotes I am getting(online) are in the $1400-$1500 range. WTF? is it really that much? I am looking at minimum coverage and $1ooo deductable! So far have looked at Markel (current policy) and GEICO.
I'll just tackle the ugly.

I've used Progressive and have been very pleased. I came off of a 2002 Triumph Sprint ST and the insurance for the FJR is cheaper. In fact after several months on the FJR I wound up getting money back and an even lower rate. My annual policy premium is $182 a year! That gives me: Bodily, Uninsured motorists, Comprehensive, Collision, Accessory coverage and Roadside Assistance (Not that I'll ever need it).

As a note, I do have my truck and Camper through Progressive as well. Nevertheless, I have found Progressive to be dependable and inexpensive!

Thank You Progressive!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try GMAC I getting it for around $450 and I uped the covaerage. I had Gico at $950 and that also what Progresive wanted.

Wow some of the insurance rates seem a bit high. My rate for full coverage (comprehensive, uninsured motorist and liability) with a $100 deductable is around $430 per year here in Arizona. I find if you old, married, and have no accidents/tickets. Insurance is way cheaper. Lucky or not lucky...I meet all that criteria!

I discovered that my Progressive policy covers up to $5000 of additional items (helmet, clothing, added accessories, etc) for no extra cost so that was my reasoning to pick Progressive. Maybe the other name brands cover the same, I don't know... since I shelled out for the Shoei X-11 and farkles I didn't want that to be "wasted" in case of an accident. Since I had the dealer install Yammie heated grips... those are covered.

Maybe someone should take the time and intiative to see if we can get a Group Buy discount with a major carrier? I don't have the time due to work....

I pay $475 a year with AAA insureance now and I am 39 with no tickets. I also have a $100 deductable. Keep looking until you find a better rate.

Don't forget that your insurance rates take into account your age, driver's records, and the theft claims in the area that you live in.

Besides, everyone that posted might have different policy limits, too. I absolutely agree that you should try to make sure they list the bike as a touring bike.

A 1300cc 'Busa will definitly be more expensive to insure than a 1300 CC cruiser.

Thanks everybody,

I have one at fault accident that caused $680 in damage in a parking lot deal that drops off in late October. So I am pretty screwed till then. The best I have found so far is esurance at $866 for 100,000/300,000 plus $1000 for safety apperall and $3000 for accrssory coverage.

Not quite sure how I feel about being insured by a cartoon though.

Who cares really? I have a raven 08 under me! :yahoo:

Greg

Hi Greg Congrats on the '08. I have foremost insurance. Was the best deal I could find. 1.800.527.3907 or

foremost.com. Remember to list the feejer at 1299cc.