New 2008, First Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCWatts

Reaction score
I've been off bikes for years, and after my first three morning rides on the FJR, I have a couple of questions:

1. The throttle has maybe 1/8 - 1/4" of horizontal travel with a black washer floating on the bar on the left side of the throttle. Normal?

2. In getting a feel for the brakes in a parking lot, the rear brake seems noticeably ineffective -- I really have to push hard on the lever to bring the bike to a stop using it alone. Normal?

Thanks folks. This forum is a fantastic source of information!

Steve

Congrats on the need ride. Couldn't ask for a better all around machine.

Ans to Q's.

1. Yes it is normal. Continue on.

2. Ahhh using the rear brake to stop. OLD SCHOOL my man, OLD SCHOOL. As you have noticed, there is more braking power up front than in the rear. Attempting to stop a bike of this size with the back brake is futile. Just like with sportbikes all the braking power is up front. I personally only use the rear brake on the straits and to trail through some turns. Which you have to really learn on this bike cause it is integrated with the front. And we all know, NO FRONT BRAKE WHILE IN THE TURN. So this to in normal, from my experience.

Excellent using a parking lot to get used to the bike.

Ride and enjoy... repeat as necessary and even when it is not necessary...

1. Yes

2. Need more info. Also when hard on rear brake it also activates a set of pads on right front caliper.

If in doubt back to dealer.

Thanks guys.

Forgot to add another question -- under the right side fairing, directly opposite the coolant tank on the left side, is clearly visible gray foam. Supposed to be there? Looks junky once you notice it.

Thanks guys.
Forgot to add another question -- under the right side fairing, directly opposite the coolant tank on the left side, is clearly visible gray foam. Supposed to be there? Looks junky once you notice it.
Yes, its on both sides. This is normal.

Congrats on the need ride. Couldn't ask for a better all around machine.
Ans to Q's.

1. Yes it is normal. Continue on.

2. Ahhh using the rear brake to stop. OLD SCHOOL my man, OLD SCHOOL. As you have noticed, there is more braking power up front than in the rear. Attempting to stop a bike of this size with the back brake is futile. Just like with sportbikes all the braking power is up front. I personally only use the rear brake on the straits and to trail through some turns. Which you have to really learn on this bike cause it is integrated with the front. And we all know, NO FRONT BRAKE WHILE IN THE TURN. So this to in normal, from my experience.

Excellent using a parking lot to get used to the bike.

Ride and enjoy... repeat as necessary and even when it is not necessary...
Why can't you use the front brake in a turn? What if you have to slow down? You must mean not to lock up the front brake.

Danno

Why can't you use the front brake in a turn?
For any number of reasons, often having to do with the physics of the bike. Trust us - it's a "Bad Thing".

What if you have to slow down?
Before you even get to a turn, you should be traveling slow enough that you *don't* have to touch your brakes. Matter of fact, about halfway through the turn, you should be giving the bike gas.

You must mean not to lock up the front brake.
That's another thing you shouldn't do under *any* circumstances.

Why can't you use the front brake in a turn?
For any number of reasons, often having to do with the physics of the bike. Trust us - it's a "Bad Thing".

What if you have to slow down?
Before you even get to a turn, you should be traveling slow enough that you *don't* have to touch your brakes. Matter of fact, about halfway through the turn, you should be giving the bike gas.

You must mean not to lock up the front brake.
That's another thing you shouldn't do under *any* circumstances.
I know you should be slowed before entering a turn, I just don't think you can say "never use your front brake in a turn". I've heard that way too often and I think poeple need to be aware that there are times when you need to brake in a turn. If you have control, braking in a turn is not that big of a deal.

Danno

I just don't think you can say "never use your front brake in a turn".
You're right - it should be "you shouldn't use *either* brake in a turn."

I've heard that way too often and I think poeple need to be aware that there are times when you need to brake in a turn.
If there are (assuming no emergency - road debris, accident, obstacl, etc) then you've made a msitake entering the turn.

If you have control, braking in a turn is not that big of a deal.
But the point is, if you have control, you don't need to brake in a turn.

I've heard that way too often and I think poeple need to be aware that there are times when you need to brake in a turn.
If there are (assuming no emergency - road debris, accident, obstacl, etc) then you've made a msitake entering the turn.

Your second point is kind of what I was getting at. "If there are (assuming no emergency - road debris, accident, obstacl, etc) then you've made a msitake entering the turn." So let me rephrase. If you happen to get into a corner going too fast, and you need to slow down, you can certainly use your brakes while in a turn.

Danno

Back on topic... :p

I use the rear brake in stop-and-go traffic (i.e. speed limit no greater than 40mph) and it's been very effective. Right fingers on the front brake lever just in case, but my opinion is that I'd like to be able to quickly steer and accelerate out of a bad situation so I use my rear brake pedal. It works great for me.

I'll leave the braking in a turn for others... I tend not to

Your second point is kind of what I was getting at. "If there are (assuming no emergency - road debris, accident, obstacl, etc) then you've made a msitake entering the turn." So let me rephrase. If you happen to get into a corner going too fast, and you need to slow down, you can certainly use your brakes while in a turn.

Danno
+1

I have absolutely no qualms about braking in turns if I need to. I think it's important for people to know that they CAN brake in turns, should the need arise. Just keep the concept of "traction budget" in mind. The more of your available traction you're using for cornering, the less remains available for braking.

Teaching new riders that they CAN'T use their brakes in turns is going to get someone in trouble. Those end up being the ones who stand the bike up (so that they are no longer turning), stomping the rear brake (they're afraid to grab a handful of front brake because they were taught to never lock up the front wheel), and going off the road. Of course, in right handers, that also implies crossing the oncoming lane. Not good, so practice and learn to use your brakes while cornering so that you're comfortable when the need arises.

dbx

Using the front brake in a turn "can" either, wash the front end... or stand the bike up... which is not so good if'n you got the big girl leaned over (for a curve in th road, that is)

[quote name='Danno' post='447967' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:57 +1

I have absolutely no qualms about braking in turns if I need to. I think it's important for people to know that they CAN brake in turns, should the need arise. Just keep the concept of "traction budget" in mind. The more of your available traction you're using for cornering, the less remains available for braking.

Teaching new riders that they CAN'T use their brakes in turns is going to get someone in trouble. Those end up being the ones who stand the bike up (so that they are no longer turning), stomping the rear brake (they're afraid to grab a handful of front brake because they were taught to never lock up the front wheel), and going off the road. Of course, in right handers, that also implies crossing the oncoming lane. Not good, so practice and learn to use your brakes while cornering so that you're comfortable when the need arises.

dbx
Some "light" braking in a curve = ok in my book. I do disagree w/ the above. In MSF, they TEACH you to stand the bike up b4 applying heavy brake.

Keep in mind that applying brakes in a curve will "force" the bike to stand up (if you first do not lose traction)... whether you're expecting it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been off bikes for years, and after my first three morning rides on the FJR, I have a couple of questions:
1. The throttle has maybe 1/8 - 1/4" of horizontal travel with a black washer floating on the bar on the left side of the throttle. Normal?

2. In getting a feel for the brakes in a parking lot, the rear brake seems noticeably ineffective -- I really have to push hard on the lever to bring the bike to a stop using it alone. Normal?

Thanks folks. This forum is a fantastic source of information!

Steve
There's a reason there's TWO big front disks on that bike.... it's would take almost a superhuman effort to stop it hard enuf to even get close to going over the bars using just the front brake, if that's what you're worried about. It's not a bicycle. Do you have ABS? Remember Both brakes work with that.

Practice stopping just using the front brake, just to see how it works, then practice useing both brakes, that's how the bike is designed.

The kids on sportbikes doing stoppies aren't worried about using the front brake! <BG>

This bike is way different than anything you're ridden before, you've simply got a new learning curve. Have fun, it's an awesome bike!

Mary