New Bluetooth TPMS Coming Out...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are great. FOBO wants almost $30 per t-valve, and it looks like they're selling the exact same unit.

Saw this on FJR riders Facebook post a couple of weeks ago.

Bluetooth is just not consistent enough to "rely on", but for ships and giggles, why not?. Most likely they will be tossed in the garbage can, well, like most Chinese and Malaysia crap items. ;)

Well, I ordered a set of Fobo and a set of Tirewatch sensors. I'm going to put the Tirewatch on the FJR and the Fobo on my M109. I'll report back with my findings. Should take about a week for both to ship I'm thinking.

Saw this on FJR riders Facebook post a couple of weeks ago.
Bluetooth is just not consistent enough to "rely on", but for ships and giggles, why not?. Most likely they will be tossed in the garbage can, well, like most Chinese and Malaysia crap items. ;)
Like your iPhone, iwatch, and most everything we own. ,,

Got the FOBO set in yesterday. I have to say I'm impressed.

I was expecting these to lose connection and update really slow. So far on the two rides I've been on, they have worked pretty well. Can't confirm their accuracy, but I'd guess it's within 1 psi. More testing to come.. The temp read out has a bit of a variance between the front and rear wheel. not sure what that's all about. Even going out to the bike cold, the temps read a few degrees off from each other.

Here are some screen shots. Fist one was 5 mins into the ride. Second was again, 5 mins into the ride after the bike sat for an hour.

The pressures read instantly right as the app starts up.

If you're thinking about buying these, I got them from the eBay seller fobobikesales The guy ships fast and responds to emails almost immediately.

If you get them from the fobo website, your looking at a much longer wait time for shipping.

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Nice. I think I'm going to get t valves installed when I'm due for tires, and try this out.

What happens if you lose pressure mid ride? Does the phone app run in the background and flash at you?
Good question. I don't think so....as of right now anyway. I removed the sensor to see if it would send me a warning. It did not. If you have the app running, it takes about 5 seconds to refresh and tell you what the current pressure is.

Received the Tire Watch package in the mail yesterday. The FJR is till at the dealer having new head bearings installed. Should get around to putting these in sometime next week.

IMG_3807.jpg

Received the Tire Watch package in the mail yesterday. The FJR is till at the dealer having new head bearings installed. Should get around to putting these in sometime next week.
[img=[URL="https://s18.postimg.org/mzpecgrt5/IMG_3807.jpg%5D"]https://s18.postimg.org/mzpecgrt5/IMG_3807.jpg][/URL]
That's the identical setup I have here waiting for my tires to wear out so I can put them in. Don't want to take half worn tires off to install this and than put half worn tires back on. I have used this system on my Goldwing for many years without any problems. Instant updates when failures occur and a ton of information on the display. Let us know it the angle valves clear the brake calipers. Was ok on the Honda...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the battery in the Tire Watch sensor user replaceable?
Good question. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about replaceable batteries in the sensors. I'll take a closer look at the sensors and see if they look like they are replaceable.

[img=[URL="https://s18.postimg.org/mzpecgrt5/IMG_3807.jpg"]]https://s18.postimg.org/mzpecgrt5/IMG_3807.jpg][/URL]
That's the identical setup I have here waiting for my tires to wear out so I can put them in. Don't want to take half worn tires off to install this and than put half worn tires back on. I have used this system on my Goldwing for many years without any problems. Instant updates when failures occur and a ton of information on the display. Let us know it the angle valves clear the brake calipers. Was ok on the Honda...
I have a nomar tire changer, so it's no biggy for me to put the sensors in. Gives me an excuse to get more practice changing tires.
I don't think the angled valve stems will get in the way of the calipers. I have similar valve stems on my ZX10 and no clearance issues.

What happens if you lose pressure mid ride? Does the phone app run in the background and flash at you?
So I'm sitting at my computer and FOBO sends a notification to my phone telling me my tire pressure is below the preset limit. Whoa, I didn't know it would do that. My bike is in the garage and I'm in my office. There's about 25ft and two walls in between my phone and the bike. I do have a slow leak on my back tire, so makes sense.

I'm impressed.

IMG_3810.jpg

So after some further research, I found out that the Tire Watch sensors do NOT have a replaceable battery. It seems most TPMS sensors do not have replaceable batteries. There are videos on youtube of people ripping sensors apart to change the batteries. Most of them are glued together and some have the battery soldered to the circuitboard.

I shot an email over to the folks at Tire Watch asking how much just the replacement sensors were. I got back.....$79 each. And they guy says in the reply "that's a good value". Huh? I can get 5 sensors for my Jeep for $57. I replied back "had I known the replacement sensors were so expensive, I wouldn't have purchased the system".

Update on the FOBO system: I was riding along at a pretty good clip and got a warning message on my phone from the FOBO sensors telling me the pressure was too high. I have a very slow leak in my rear tire, so I set the pressure at 43 psi before making a 100mi round trip yesterday. Well, I guess the speed I was traveling at made the temperature in the tire rise rather high making the pressure go up. So far the FOBO system has been working really well.

IMG_3818.jpg

So after some further research, I found out that the Tire Watch sensors do NOT have a replaceable battery. It seems most TPMS sensors do not have replaceable batteries. There are videos on youtube of people ripping sensors apart to change the batteries. Most of them are glued together and some have the battery soldered to the circuitboard.

I shot an email over to the folks at Tire Watch asking how much just the replacement sensors were. I got back.....$79 each. And they guy says in the reply "that's a good value". Huh? I can get 5 sensors for my Jeep for $57. I replied back "had I known the replacement sensors were so expensive, I wouldn't have purchased the system".
Thanks for the update. Appreciate that. $79 each does sound steep for a single consumable sensor. When they said it's 5-year life it's probably 3...

How does the FOBO measured pressure compare to your tire pressure gauge? Thanks!
I have two tire pressure gauges, a Stockton digital and a Longacre analog. Both read the exact same pressure while the FOBO sensors seem to read about 1 psi less.

How does the FOBO measured pressure compare to your tire pressure gauge? Thanks!
I have two tire pressure gauges, a Stockton digital and a Longacre analog. Both read the exact same pressure while the FOBO sensors seem to read about 1 psi less.
Thanks again for the info. 1 psi difference is insignificant.