• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Finished Rack Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any word on the removable backrest...pictures and cost?

thanks, cary
The prototype backrest is scheduled to be produced next week, I will post pics as soon as available. I will be using the Mustang backrest that is shown in a previous post on this thread.

Update?

Cary
I should be picking up the prototype backrest the first of the week and hopefully have pics up midweek.

Could you trim down the size of the rack so it would be close to the same dimensions as the Givi Universal mounting plate?

It would be nice it if could hold a Givi box without sticking out on the sides so much.

Could you trim down the size of the rack so it would be close to the same dimensions as the Givi Universal mounting plate?
It would be nice it if could hold a Givi box without sticking out on the sides so much.
It is possible, but it would probably be very expensive to make one plate that way. I'm guessing design time and fabricating cost for a single unit would be about $250.00 at a minimum because my fabricator charges me $150.00 just to cut the aluminum plate for a prototype. It still needs the stand offs made and welded and then powder coated. If there where more members that wanted this the price would be less.

It is possible, but it would probably be very expensive to make one plate that way. I'm guessing design time and fabricating cost for a single unit would be about $250.00 at a minimum because my fabricator charges me $150.00 just to cut the aluminum plate for a prototype. It still needs the stand offs made and welded and then powder coated. If there where more members that wanted this the price would be less.
I want this. I like the basic design, but don't need it to serve tea. It's too big IMHO.

Thanks,

Don

I want this. I like the basic design, but don't need it to serve tea. It's too big IMHO.

Thanks,

Don
Well thats 2, anybody else want a rack just big enough to fit on a Givi plate?

I kind of like the original. Do you still have some or do they need to be fabricated?

I'm less than 2hrs away up in Columbus and it would make a nice ride to pick one up. :yes2:

I kind of like the original. Do you still have some or do they need to be fabricated?
I'm less than 2hrs away up in Columbus and it would make a nice ride to pick one up. :yes2:

Thor, I still have a couple from the first batch that are not sold. They will be completed later this week and you can ride up and pick one up if you'd like. Let me know if you want one and I'll put your name on one.

Thor, I still have a couple from the first batch that are not sold. They will be completed later this week and you can ride up and pick one up if you'd like. Let me know if you want one and I'll put your name on one.

Sent you a PM B)

I have posted new pictures of my rack with the backrest attached. This is a prototype backrest and I'm thinking of shortening the height of the backrest by another 1-1/2" and leaning it back by another 4 degrees so the passenger can lean back a little more. The passenger does lean back the way it is in the pictures, but a little more lean would help the passenger comfort. Let me know what you think, should it be lowered and how much?

backrest3.jpg

backrest5.jpg

backrest4.jpg

backrest2.jpg

backrest1.jpg

My take on this is if you can have it adjustable up and down would be best since everyone wants it to hit them in a different position on the back. Also if the angle is adjustable it would be the perfect backrest ...for the same reasons. Got to get one for my wife but since shes never road :blink: who knows where she will want it.

Cary

My take on this is if you can have it adjustable up and down would be best since everyone wants it to hit them in a different position on the back. Also if the angle is adjustable it would be the perfect backrest ...for the same reasons. Got to get one for my wife but since shes never road :blink: who knows where she will want it.
Cary

There is one main reason you do not see adjustable passenger backrest from the main seat makers like Mustang and Corbin. PRODUCT LIABILITY. They make driver's backrest that are adjustable but not passengers. While I agree it would be nice to have such backrest, I won't be putting my neck on the line either.

I don't see what difference it would make to any PRODUCT LIABILITY claims wherther its the driver or the passanger but its your product. What about just having the holes so we can raise it up or down? Same possibility could be done for the rake. We still have to assemble this on the bike. How about a " racing use only discloser or use at your own risk ect. Someone on the forum must me a lawyer :unsure:

Cary

I don't see what difference it would make to any PRODUCT LIABILITY claims wherther its the driver or the passanger but its your product. What about just having the holes so we can raise it up or down? Same possibility could be done for the rake. We still have to assemble this on the bike. How about a " racing use only discloser or use at your own risk ect. Someone on the forum must me a lawyer :unsure:
Cary
Cary,

The difference between a rider and passenger is pretty clear if you think about it. The driver is always holding onto the handle bars, so if the backrest breaks it probably won't cause any major problems since he is held in place with his hands already grasping something. The driver is also far enough up on the bike that they won't fall off the back of the bike. Could he lose control of the bike during the break? Yes, but they must figure that would be the exception, not the norm. The passenger on the other hand is usually not holding onto anything and is in a leaned back position against the backrest. If the rack broke they very likely would fly right off the back of the bike and if your going 65 MPH down the freeway that can not have a good outcome. I'm no lawyer, but to me a disclousure form isn't worth the paper it is written on when a jury see the tragic death of a young, vibrant woman with 3 kids at home that doesn't have a mother because of a backrest you made. I think you'll lose everytime!!

We took the backrest out for a 90 mile test drive last night and the wifey really likes it. She thought the angle is just right and doesn't think I should change it. I'm still thinking about shortening the height about an 1-1/2". If any one is interested in the rack and backrest let me know. The rack is $175.00 and the backrest is $150.00. If you buy both items at the same time you can have them for $300.00 plus shipping.

We took the backrest out for a 90 mile test drive last night and the wifey really likes it. She thought the angle is just right and doesn't think I should change it. I'm still thinking about shortening the height about an 1-1/2". If any one is interested in the rack and backrest let me know. The rack is $175.00 and the backrest is $150.00. If you buy both items at the same time you can have them for $300.00 plus shipping.

I am interested...where does this hit your wifes back? Picture...side shot? My wifes 5'4...but short legs ;) so I'd like to see how it hits to see if it will work for her.

Thanks, Cary

I have an adjustable tilt Corbin
OHFJR,

I think the lean angle looks good. Too much to the rear could make the passsengere feel like they are ready to fall off. I agree with you on reducing the height. It appears as though it may be a little to high for my wife (5'2")

Will this be your final design with only the height changing?

BMort

I think the lean angle looks good. Too much to the rear could make the passsengere feel like they are ready to fall off. I agree with you on reducing the height. It appears as though it may be a little to high for my wife (5'2")

Will this be your final design with only the height changing?

BMort[/quote

The lean angle will stay the same, even though this lean angle is just slightly backwards. I think with the front sloping FJR passenger seat may cause the passenger to slide forward if they lean back to much. The popular vote seems to be to lower the height by 1-1/2" as I suggested. My wife is 5'0" and she liked the height, but didn't feel the 1-1/2" wouldn't hurt the ride at all. That is the only change I'm plannig on!