New k1200gt are coming the New k1200gt are comming!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkern1

Reaction score
So what does this crowd think of this bike.

More power, apparantly the great handling, Big Power Output, 580 wet. Guys i think the FJR has finally got some competion in the Super sport touring area. BIG price tag to. But FJR are not that cheap anymore 14.6K

Well, I am not all that impressed. So far, it's all mental masturbation until there are some real world reviews.

Fugly compared to it's predecessor. Waaaay too much $$$$. Smaller alternator output than the 06 FJR. Nice options and accessories. But having to deal with the limited BMW dealerships kinda is a big minus.

We'll see. Of course BMW will sell them to "the faithfull", but I am not so sure it's going to be a "great" motorcycle. Time will tell.

The cost of the BMW and coupled with the parts and labor costs I would'nt want it, but thats just me. I'm sure it is a great though and I would like to test ride one. PM. <>< :D

The cost of the BMW and coupled with the parts and labor costs I would'nt want it, but thats just me. I'm sure it is a great though and I would like to test ride one. PM. <>< :D

Actually you have just played into a myth. Go price a BMW Hourly labor rate verses your Yamaha dealer. It is surprising they are real close. My local yam. dealer is $87 and hour my BMW dealers is $85. Parts are not really that expensive either, go price a oil filter for a v-strom!!!!!!!

I thought the FJR output was like 600Watts the beemer is 840Watts, i might be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what does this crowd think of this bike.
I think you should put the thread in the correct topic since it's definitely not an FJR topic. Last time I check....yep......there's still "FJRForum" in the URL here. Moving thread to it's new home.

I thought the FJR output was like 600Watts the beemer is 840Watts, i might be wrong.

Ooops, I am probably wrong on that. New for 06, looks like FJR's output is 590 watts, I though you were saying BMW's was 580 cause I read that too darn quick. 580 lb wet weight? Is that accurate?

Maintenance: There are still less dealerships. In my area, Yammie labor rates are less than BMW. But to me, the big thing is the complexity of BMW motorcycles meaning less work I do myself and thereby saving $$$$, vs. having the PITA of trying to get it to a dealer that is far away for simple maintenance/repairs.

Plus, for years I have heard people bitch about having to buy expensive tools to perform simple maintenance tasks on BMWs. Is that not true?

Don't get me wrong, cools bikes, but a bit on the fringe and over-engineered IMHO. Still, someday I will have an R1200GS in the garage.

I had a '99 K1200LT and the only time the dealer touched it was for the valve adjustment at 24,000 miles. Shim under bucket, cams have to come out, etc, etc. A bit too much for me. Obviously, this excludes the couple of minor warranty issues I had with the bike.

Generally, I found the dealers to be fairly good. Although as a whole, I would rate motorcycle dealers poorly. I would suggest that BMW dealers are much better at handling the "travelers" than Yamaha dealers.

I'll consider a new GT in a few months when they are more plentiful. I like the fact that BMW's goodies (comm system, nav, heated seat & grips, etc, etc) are fully integrated with the bike. That was a huge plus on the LT.

The FJR will work just fine in the mean time.

For $18,800, I don't think I could justify the additional expense. At this point in my life, I'm still looking for a little more Sport and a little less Tour. Don't know that I'm that far off from making the switch, though. If I'm gonna go this route, I would want the cruise ($310) and the ESA ($775) bringing it close to $20K - $5K puts a helluva lot of farkles on the FJR. All in all, I think it's an impressive bike, but, I'm not completely sold on the bland-looking-in-my-opinion bodywork. btw - here's a ride report (it's a Canadian report, so that explains the $ difference) https://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?opt...=492&Itemid=126

Ooops, I am probably wrong on that. New for 06, looks like FJR's output is 590 watts, I though you were saying BMW's was 580 cause I read that too darn quick. 580 lb wet weight? Is that accurate?
BMW website says 622lbs wet (6.3 gal + 1 gal reserve)

Specs that I saw said 620 lbs wet. May turn out to be a great cruiser but doesn't turn me on at all.

Edit: I see Woodstock beat me to it!!

Actually you have just played into a myth. Go price a BMW Hourly labor rate verses your Yamaha dealer. It is surprising they are real close. My local yam. dealer is $87 and hour my BMW dealers is $85. Parts are not really that expensive either, go price a oil filter for a v-strom!!!!!!!

Apparently, this location dependent. Here, in the Sacramento area, there are about 5 or so Yamaha dealers and one BMW dealer. Supply and demand rules out and Yamaha maintenance is considerably cheaper.

Except for when the BMW dealer surprises you for $500 for the 12k service (my r1100s 36k service). I'm pretty sure no yamie dealer would charge that much for a service call?

Anywayz, have you guys actually seen the k1200gt? It's a pig compared to the FJR. They took a great engine and weighted it down like a pack mule. It doesn't come close to the performance/weight of the FJR. Add the price difference and you have pure gravy.

Don't forget, temp357, the FJR's 26K service will set you back a minimum of 500 bucks...

I don't care much for the looks of the GT, but I like the specs and technology and the ergos for me were spot on.

But, at that price? Don't think so.

Anywayz, have you guys actually seen the k1200gt? It's a pig compared to the FJR. They took a great engine and weighted it down like a pack mule. It doesn't come close to the performance/weight of the FJR. Add the price difference and you have pure gravy.
According to the yamaha website, the dry weight 2006 FJR1300A is 582lbs.

According to the BMW website, the _wet_ weight of the 2006 K1200GT is 622lbs.

Using 6.25lbs/gal of gas and 6.3 gallon capacity of the K1200GT, that puts the dry weight at 582lbs!

The BMW engine produces more HP, IIRC, so I'd watch the performance/weight comparisons.

There are probably a ton of reasons to prefer the FJR, but let's just be careful which we pick. :ph34r:

I totaled my 05 FJR on March 19th and now I'm looking for a replacement. I went to A&S (the largest BMW dealer in the USA) a week ago and the K1200GT had not arrived yet. I think it's a contender. It's kinda weird but I like it anyway. Since they didn't have a GT, I test rode an R1200RT instead. Quite a nice bike but the power wasn't there, the FJR spoiled me. I'll keep looking and enjoying the "shopping" in the mean time.

According to the yamaha website, the dry weight 2006 FJR1300A is 582lbs.

According to the BMW website, the _wet_ weight of the 2006 K1200GT is 622lbs.

Using 6.25lbs/gal of gas and 6.3 gallon capacity of the K1200GT, that puts the dry weight at 582lbs!

The BMW engine produces more HP, IIRC, so I'd watch the performance/weight comparisons.

There are probably a ton of reasons to prefer the FJR, but let's just be careful which we pick. :ph34r:
Ach so mein Herr!

Check out this nifty comparison put together by BMW. Looks like you are right dry weight comparison shows the k1200gt one kilogram lighter. The yamie has more torque and better 0 to 60. The k1200gt is 965 mm mirror to mirror comapred to 760mm for the fjr. No wonder it looks porky.

https://www.BMWK1200S.com/07-K1200GT.pdf

I've heard electrical farkles can cause problems with the new BMW's computers, Anyone else heard this?

Adding fuel to the fire. :)

Just happened to ride by the BMW dealer in Fort Worth Monday, they had the new K1200GT. Pretty impressive, but not the 20k sticker on the bike. Would rather have a K1200R, but still 15K+.

Next door, a Yami SV1000 for around 7.5k sounds really really nice.