New member - oil change question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way pull the drain plug? I just remove the fill cap and flip the bike up side down until all the oil comes out. It saves on having to spend the money on a drain plug crush washer. Its proven tested, its what the instruction said to do with my cheap Chinese power washer I bought at Walmart !

Ok, I finally got my MityVac in the mail. My bike is disassembled and I've got my new oil and filter. My only problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to get this damn pump to work. B)
12004penis_pump.jpg
That looks like a weapon.

Jeff - I'm not even going to ask what that pump does.. :dribble:

Question? Why do you need a Mighty Vac to change brake fluid? In my brake bleeds, I've never needed one!
You don't need one. It's only for those lazy people like me. I almost never use the mityvac to bleed brakes unless:1) I want to pull fluid out quickly to get new fluid in, much faster than turn, pump, turn, pump and repeat 40 times.

2) I just installed new lines and again, I want to pull some volume thru quickly without doing the, turn pump, and repeat 200 times.

I do however, always end the mityvac operation by doing the last little bit by hand. Call me old fashion, but that seems to be the best results for me. Why? Glad you asked. It's real easy to pull air past the tube on the fitting and get bubbles. So then you think, is it really bubbles in the line or bubbles being sucked past the fitting and tube.

;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a history of stripping bolts, but I do like to be careful. If the manual says hand tighten, I hand tighten. If it says use a torque wrench, I use a torque wrench. I don't do anything to a bike without the manual. Any of my bikes, and I've had a lot of them.

It might be interesting to try the MityVac and then drain the remainder (if any) through the plug, to see if there really is a difference. Of course, more's going to come out when I pull the filter too.

Does the Maual say drain or use MityVac?

Regards

Surly

Jeff - I'm not even going to ask what that pump does.. :dribble:

Question? Why do you need a Mighty Vac to change brake fluid? In my brake bleeds, I've never needed one!
You don't need one. It's only for those lazy people like me. I almost never use the mityvac to bleed brakes unless:1) I want to pull fluid out quickly to get new fluid in, much faster than turn, pump, turn, pump and repeat 40 times.

2) I just installed new lines and again, I want to pull some volume thru quickly without doing the, turn pump, and repeat 200 times.

I do however, always end the mityvac operation by doing the last little bit by hand. Call me old fashion, but that seems to be the best results for me. Why? Glad you asked. It's real easy to pull air past the tube on the fitting and get bubbles. So then you think, is it really bubbles in the line or bubbles being sucked past the fitting and tube.

;) :D
Dude. You set yourself up. I feel so bad for you I just can't do it this time.

I will leave this one for Shiny, Don or Bust.

I don't have a history of stripping bolts, but I do like to be careful. If the manual says hand tighten, I hand tighten. If it says use a torque wrench, I use a torque wrench. I don't do anything to a bike without the manual. Any of my bikes, and I've had a lot of them.
It might be interesting to try the MityVac and then drain the remainder (if any) through the plug, to see if there really is a difference. Of course, more's going to come out when I pull the filter too.

Does the Maual say drain or use MityVac?

Regards

Surly
:D

Hi, I'm a new member, so please excuse if this is a well-worn/trodden question.
Is there any reason I can't do the 1000 mile oil/shaft oil change using a vacuum pump (Mityvac).

I'm asking this because I'm not sure if there's anything about the FJR that would prevent me from getting all the oil using this method.

Thanks,

Ben
Good thing you didn't post this on a Friday. :dribble:

I've owned (and consequently, serviced) a lot of Mercedes over the years. The Benz engine (most, anyways) is explicitly designed for topside oil extraction. The dipstick tube is at the lowest point in the oilpan, and goes all the way to the bottom of the pan. If you suck the oil out of an MB then pull the drain plug, not one single drop comes out.

In contrast, Yamaha did not design the FJR engine this way. The oil filler is just an opening up top that leads to the sump. I don't know if you can even reach the bottom of the sump, and if you did, how you'd know it. The FJR requires no disassembly to access the oil drain, it's right there out in the open. Ditto the filter. Basically, there's no labor savings to be had by not using the factory method. If you're concerned with getting used motor oil on your hands (you should be, it's somewhat carcinogenic), go to your local big hardware store and buy a box of 100 disposable vinyl or latex work gloves - they're in the paint section.