New Penske Shock Ride Repoort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Penske Ride Report[/SIZE]

Let me say before I start that installing a Penske Shock in a 06AE was a challenge. :dribble: I was shipped the upper spacers two times and they were too big (wide) to fit into the upper bracket. :angry2: This is a two piece spacer instead of the one piece spacer on the stock and Wilbers setup. Finally last night I modified one of the spacers with a Dremel tool so I could put it on. Anyone wanting to do this let me know, I have a few tips. In fact, later I will do a write up on how to do it on an AE. The first set was 15 milimeters too wide, the second was 5 milimeters to wide. I did not shorten them but made one of them the same diameter as the stock thrust washer that goes under the bolt head and inserted it from the outside

NOW on to the shock. I installed the Penske 8981 series remote reservoir motorcycle shock.

It is set about 1/2 inch higher that my stock shock. The second I sat on the bike in the garage I knew I had mucho more ground clearance. The bike did not "sag" when I put my fat ass on it. It moved about ½ - ¾ " according to my but sag ruler. Prior it settled about 1-2 inches, more if I had to take a dump or a piss

I took the bike first to the carwash to wash off the blood from my hands that got on the bike from 4 days of trying to make something fit that did not fit.

Some of you who rode with me at WFO will recognize these roads. I took Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons and Guardsman's pass as my first ride. Instantly the bike was different in an insane way. Due to the increased rear height the bike would tip in much faster. Before the Penske under spirited cornering, the bike would feel like it was wallowing and flexing at lean. It would kind of squish around as the corner entry was initiated, finally stabilize once I had it settled but squat and drag.

Now, It all but falls into the corner and there is no movement at all!!!. ITS ON RAILS!! The bike is completely transformed!! I have a ton more ground clearance now that it is a tad higher and not squatting to carry my fat ass around (for those that wonder, I am about 275ish)

The first few corners I took pretty easy getting to know my NEW!!! Bike. Then I pushed it a little and the pegs touched down but I was not leaning off at all, I was just amazed at how it felt and just sitting on the bike as it went around the corners to feel for movement and attitude

I then started hanging off the bike just a little. I rode about the same pace as I did on the WFO Ride (for those that were there I was dragging everywhere) and with my ass a bit off the seat and my leg locked on the tank my pegs were not even close to the ground!! SCHWEET!!!

I stepped it up a little but not much as there were cagers around and they are always trying to get me. I did learn my bike has much more to give now and her limits are FAR!!! Beyond what they once were.

Money well spent. The shock cost me about 1200 bucks and took 5 days to finally get installed. That means I had to buy about 3 - 12 packs of beer for the install and that was of course an added expense. I gave about a pint of blood from trashing my hands (I finally cut those dam little studs off that held the hard soft mechanism and life got a lot easier)

[SIZE=12pt]That is my report and I am sticking to it. I have a NEW~~~~~~ SCHWEET~~~~~ BIKE!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: ![/SIZE]

Cdog

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I got the super duper one. They start much lower I think. This one is triple adjustable. I figgered I had to get that one since I am such an excessive person anyway... (I sinned.... I charged it <_< )

It was actually the ABS that made it more difficult on the GENII not the AE mechanism, that come off with two bolts

(for those that wonder, I am about 275ish)
Chortle, snicker, tee-hee! :haha:

Let's not start calling each other fat. Not at least on Fat Jaded Riders forum. Cdog, I really look forward to your write up. The Penske is next on my list of farkles. As you mentioned, it should not even be consider a frakle since it is so essential. I have only seen the double adjustable Penske for about $800. However, I relate to you on the excessive thing. Did you look at the new Hyperpro? In any event, I know you are enjoying it.

I set sag and suspension up to my style of riding and sometimes rub a peg feeler but no more hard parts. An aftermarket shock rocks when set up right. :lol:

Cdog: Glad you got yor shock and installed. Now as I have been saying money well spent.

Now you can ride with more confindence and not worry about the shock when it starts to become a marshmello.

Good for you! :clapping: Just when are you having the fork springs done? :D

Now you need to sit Kendra on the back and check the adjustment for 2-up....then go ride the same corners. Be sure and post her reaction to having you scare the bejeezus out of her :blink: ...as soon as you can see through the black eyes! :eek:

Conga rats, cdog! Ya can't really see the bling of aftermarket suspension, and it doesn't make the bike actually go faster, . . .

BUT . . .

there probably isn't anything you can do to a bike that makes it more fun or is more essential to making it fit you. When you two were out here on your OEM suspension, I felt sorry for you. The OEM wasn't stiff enough for me, especially 2 up, and you're a lot bigger boy than I am. Like Mike said: get that front done, too -- probably all you really need is new springs and it isn't difficult to do the work, though it will take a couple six packs and most of a day for a DIY mechanic.

I hear ya on the ABS making the rear shock install a bitch --routing that remote reservoir hose for the Wilbers was a bit of a challenge.

Enjoy!!

I have a 05 with 22,000 miles and I can really feel the back shock now. Need a new rear shock and doing research and like your write up, but 1200 smackaroos is a lot. What is the difference between the 800 and 1200 shock?

I will probably have to have a suspension guy do the install since my hand just can't take the abuse (arthritus) and I want to make sure it is done right.

I am 230 lbs and ride 2 up once in a while.

What shock would you put in?

Roger

What shock would you put in?Roger
Roger, if you don't do much "spirited" riding whereby you would need all of the adjustments for rebound & compression, then you can save some money. Just make sure you get a shock with the spring rate designed for yu and your passenger. Anyone who sells aftermarket shocks should be able to help you select the right spring.

What you WILL absolutely need is a shock with a "remote preload" so that you can add preload easily when switching to 2-up riding and carrying full luggage, rather than having to crawl under the bike and use a "cam adjuster" to add preload. Just being able to twist the knob on the remote preload is waaayyyy kewel!

What shock would you put in?Roger
I think I sed that on post one..... i forget

Roger, if you don't do much "spirited" riding whereby you would need all of the adjustments for rebound & compression, then you can save some money. Just make sure you get a shock with the spring rate designed for yu and your passenger. Anyone who sells aftermarket shocks should be able to help you select the right spring.

What you WILL absolutely need is a shock with a "remote preload" so that you can add preload easily when switching to 2-up riding and carrying full luggage, rather than having to crawl under the bike and use a "cam adjuster" to add preload. Just being able to twist the knob on the remote preload is waaayyyy kewel!

I dont even begon to understand what other shocks would do.... I just love mine... NOTE::::::: All upgrades are "UP" be it 12 bucks or 15.000.....

{PLEASE PEEPS}

Dont fixate on my charge acccount balance............... I was bad bad bad charging it.............. but it is SCHWEET!!........................ RIGHT ... regardles of cost is right................. OOOOhhhhhhhhh Penske is right......... TTYL

Conga rats, cdog! Ya can't really see the bling of aftermarket suspension, and it doesn't make the bike actually go faster, . . .
BUT . . .

there probably isn't anything you can do to a bike that makes it more fun or is more essential to making it fit you. When you two were out here on your OEM suspension, I felt sorry for you. The OEM wasn't stiff enough for me, especially 2 up, and you're a lot bigger boy than I am. Like Mike said: get that front done, too -- probably all you really need is new springs and it isn't difficult to do the work, though it will take a couple six packs and most of a day for a DIY mechanic.

I hear ya on the ABS making the rear shock install a bitch --routing that remote reservoir hose for the Wilbers was a bit of a challenge.

Enjoy!!

Esk, Dude. I hear you,,, not summuch the routin for me was not so bad... was retooling the bushings with my drmmel tool that was a bit frustratin............... Hell. I dunno.. I will do that writeup later.............. that was painful....... But worth it................

Cdog

I have a 05 with 22,000 miles and I can really feel the back shock now. Need a new rear shock and doing research and like your write up, but 1200 smackaroos is a lot. What is the difference between the 800 and 1200 shock?
I will probably have to have a suspension guy do the install since my hand just can't take the abuse (arthritus) and I want to make sure it is done right.

I am 230 lbs and ride 2 up once in a while.

What shock would you put in?

Roger
My Ohlins was also $1200 and the Wilbers & Works cost about the same once you add in all the extras. The base unit is ussually preload and Rebound only (same as stock but better sag adjustment). As you add in low speed & high speed compression the cost goes up, remote preload is close to a $300 upgrade, and if you want ride hight ajustability you're going to pay for that too. (the Olhins is not ride hight adjustable). You also get to spring match for your weight an ride. If you don't push hard this may be overkill but if you are into tweaking for the road your riding it's great to have. I am really into suspension so not haveing the ability to tweak what is needed to maximize my ride drive me nutts. Better $1200 for a shock (redid the forks too) then waste the money on something like a muffler :glare:

you know, if I had just done this - The shock cost me about 1200 bucks I would sure as Hell report the damn thing was the best thing since sliced bread also.

Man, that's serious jack for one suspension part so glad it made a great difference.

Did you do anything to the front suspension?