New Penske Shock Ride Repoort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know, if I had just done this - The shock cost me about 1200 bucks I would sure as Hell report the damn thing was the best thing since sliced bread also.
Man, that's serious jack for one suspension part so glad it made a great difference.

Did you do anything to the front suspension?

Not yet. I will likely do a ride in somewhere. I want those cartridge thingies by Traxxion. It will be a good excuse for a road trip I think. Always need more of those

I want those cartridge thingies by Traxxion. It will be a good excuse for a road trip I think. Always need more of those
Robin, you could remove your forks and send them to Traxxion (or their West Coast dealer: AfterShocks in Palo Alto).

A bit of advice, if your card limit is seriously limited: I just had a set of Eibach (sp?) springs installed when I had a leaking fork seal replaced. What a difference! I had to dial OUT all of the added compression and rebound I had been using....the springs made that much difference. You might consider just replacing the springs.

I have a 05 with 22,000 miles and I can really feel the back shock now. Need a new rear shock and doing research and like your write up, but 1200 smackaroos is a lot. What is the difference between the 800 and 1200 shock?
I will probably have to have a suspension guy do the install since my hand just can't take the abuse (arthritus) and I want to make sure it is done right.

I am 230 lbs and ride 2 up once in a while.

What shock would you put in?

Roger
I just ordered front and back for my 05 through GP Suspension and the total, including install was estimated at about $1500. (Estimate). Dave said it would be around $60 for the front and $40 for the rear. I jumped on that. Now, can he really do it? He has done lots of FJR's and does this kind of work at the race track, so maybe he can.

I am really looking forward to the work, especially after reading this thread.

From Cdogs advice I also ordered the same Penske, should be here this week.

Robin, what was the bushing you had to grind down?

Maybe you can come over and help, beers on me!

Robin, you could remove your forks and send them to Traxxion (or their West Coast dealer: AfterShocks in Palo Alto).
A bit of advice, if your card limit is seriously limited: I just had a set of Eibach (sp?) springs installed when I had a leaking fork seal replaced. What a difference! I had to dial OUT all of the added compression and rebound I had been using....the springs made that much difference. You might consider just replacing the springs.
Are those the springs from GP? I was thinking of adding those this coming spring to replace my Wilber's. PM me if you'd like as I'd like feedback on those springs.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I have almost 40,000 miles on my second OEM Yamaha rear shock on my 2004 ABS. The first shock started leaking at 16,000 miles and was replaced under YES. Some of the Wilbur feedback is troublesome so I'll likely go with a Penske-seems a little cheaper than the Olins. I'm a 66 year-old-geezer who rides fairly aggressively in the twisties (remember the 66 year-old part) one up with two side bags. I assume anything will be a huge improvement over the sagged out stocker.

I have several questions:

Is the Olins worth the extra $$?

If not is the 8987 Penske worth the 50% more $$ then the 8100 series?

The 8987 series lists for $1180 and hardracing.com has it for $1100. They also have the 8100 series which lists for $800 for $750. Is there a better price available. TIA Ian, Iowa

I have almost 40,000 miles on my second OEM Yamaha rear shock on my 2004 ABS. The first shock started leaking at 16,000 miles and was replaced under YES. Some of the Wilbur feedback is troublesome so I'll likely go with a Penske-seems a little cheaper than the Olins. I'm a 66 year-old-geezer who rides fairly aggressively in the twisties (remember the 66 year-old part) one up with two side bags. I assume anything will be a huge improvement over the sagged out stocker.I have several questions:

Is the Olins worth the extra $$?

If not is the 8987 Penske worth the 50% more $$ then the 8100 series?

The 8987 series lists for $1180 and hardracing.com has it for $1100. They also have the 8100 series which lists for $800 for $750. Is there a better price available. TIA Ian, Iowa
Good questions, I'm also interested in a suspension upgrade.

I'm also curious of the stock shocks life expectency and I'm well aware that a aftermarket shock will be an improvement either at 10K or 50K miles but....it's bound to perform at some level performance.

When I'm ready to spend the cash I will also see what Traxxion can do and maybe ride in for the mod and ride back the long way home :winksmiley:

The Penske is next on my list of farkles. As you mentioned, it should not even be consider a frakle since it is so essential. I have only seen the double adjustable Penske for about $800.

Hmmmm, I believe the Penske shock I bought from Traxxion Dynamics is an 8981. I know for certain that it's adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping and ride-height, remote reservoir, and cost me right around $800. It doesn't have the separate low and high speed compression damping adjustment, but it's an FJR, not a track bike. Is Sportryder still on this forum??? He works for T/D and got me the shock and revalved and resprung my forks. The bike is a peach to ride. Who'd you buy the shock from?? I'm gonna have to look for my paperwork, but I'd swear mine is an 8981.

I really appreciate this thread. My 06 is only 18.5k young, and I'm only 185#, but can definitely feel what all of you have said about the bike's handling in turns. I wouldn't need the extra ride height, just a proper spring and some damned controllable damping.

Thanks again.