New Seat Options for 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teague_22

Reaction score
Hey Riders, I have only been riding for a little while (1100 miles) and the stock seat is awful so if anyone has purchased the one off of the yamaha website or any others ones let me know how you like them as I am trying to make up my mind.

Thanks,

TJ

I like my corbin. good price and i did not have to send in my stock pans

There are a lot of people that have spent a lot of money on aftermarket saddles before finally splurging on a Russell Day Long. Others have gotten custom seats made by Rick Mayers or Bill Mayers, but they're both on the left coast. I'm sure there are other custom seat makers too.

My personal journey started with not really being able to go more than an hour or hour and a half tops on the stock seat. Then I got a corbin. After the grueling break-in period, I did 8-10 hour days, and my butt was sore afterward (during the 2,000 mile break-in, it wasn't much better than stock).

I got my Russell. Mile 1 on it was comfy, and it just got more comfortable after the 500 mile break-in. I've done 12 hour days on it, and my butt was as good as hour 1 (My mental fatigue was another story).

Another Forum member was kind enough to let me borrow a his Yamaha gel seat while my stock was off to Russell to be built. The Gel (touring seat?) was better than the softer stock seat, but no comparison to the comfort of the Russell.

To many the Russell is not attractive. I would suggest, if you don't mind the look of the Russell, make the investment.

This sites Russell Group Buy last winter saved me 20%

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Riders, I have only been riding for a little while (1100 miles) and the stock seat is awful so if anyone has purchased the one off of the yamaha website or any others ones let me know how you like them as I am trying to make up my mind.
Thanks,

TJ
Ok here are some pics comparing the Yamaha comfort seat to the Sargent seat. Last year I bought my bike and the stock seat wasn't working for me so because money was an issue for me at the time the Yamaha comfort seat was the cheapest way to go. Well the Yamaha comfort seats worked great for me last year but this season has been another story. So I decide to try the Sargent seats ( I know the Russel is probably the only way to go but I have short legs and worry about getting a foot down with the Russel seat design)and my wife and I couldn't be happier. The extra width gives good support it's tapered in the front so I can get a foot down easily and the foam is softer than a corbin but firmer than the stock seat. I don't plan on buying any more seats for my FJR

Eric

SargentseatandYamahatouringseat003.jpg

SargentseatandYamahatouringseat002.jpg

SargentseatandYamahatouringseat004.jpg

I like my Sargent as well. After break-in, the difference in comfort over stock is very noticeable. I rarely do more than 200 miles at a stretch, so the Sargent was a good compromise for cost vs utility. Before break in the Sargent will jar your teeth loose over speed bumps or rail crossings, but be patient, it gets better.

+1 on the Corbins. Short legs required the lower seat height. Mine is leather which reduces the monkey butt effect. I use mink oil to condition and water proof. I also opted for the heated option which I realy haven't used much but was welcomed on a chilly morning. YMMMV. :rolleyes:

I like my Sargent as well. After break-in, the difference in comfort over stock is very noticeable. I rarely do more than 200 miles at a stretch, so the Sargent was a good compromise for cost vs utility. Before break in the Sargent will jar your teeth loose over speed bumps or rail crossings, but be patient, it gets better.
I like the Sargent (cause it's wider) as well, and with more and more miles, longer distances, I've added the Airhawk Air Pad which ices the cake nicely.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessori...pads/index.html

4629952379_0682077f22_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for a new seat also but my main issue with the stock one is sliding forward and being stuck to the tank. Do any of these aftermarket brands have less angle for keeping your butt back in the seat.

Again the Corbin reduced the sliding for me. You can tell them what you are trying to solve and they will construct the seat accordingly. :blink:

I'm looking for a new seat also but my main issue with the stock one is sliding forward and being stuck to the tank. Do any of these aftermarket brands have less angle for keeping your butt back in the seat.
+1 for Sargents, designed for sport bikes with the seat being leveled so the rider does not slide fwd, also it comes in two sections, I just got the front section for the rider as this is not my two-up bike.

There are a lot of people that have spent a lot of money on aftermarket saddles before finally splurging on a Russell Day Long. Others have gotten custom seats made by Rick Mayers or Bill Mayers, but they're both on the left coast. I'm sure there are other custom seat makers too.
My personal journey started with not really being able to go more than an hour or hour and a half tops on the stock seat. Then I got a corbin. After the grueling break-in period, I did 8-10 hour days, and my butt was sore afterward (during the 2,000 mile break-in, it wasn't much better than stock).

I got my Russell. Mile 1 on it was comfy, and it just got more comfortable after the 500 mile break-in. I've done 12 hour days on it, and my butt was as good as hour 1 (My mental fatigue was another story).

I ordered my day long seat yesterday. Question, did you go with leather or vinyl?

If you go with a Russell, You send them photo's of your riding position, and build your seat off your photo's and your description. Just tell them what you want, and they will build the seat up to keep you back in the pocket (change the tilt).