New "sport" bike in the garage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And two from this past summer on the Dragon with slightly modified luggage rack and no soft bag on top. I built the rack so that the only points that come in contact with the bikes body work are two bolts through an ebay bought passenger grab rail and a main supports at each passenger peg bracket. I mounted a wide signal light bracket on the back so my riding buddies know which way I'm about to turn (because they're always behind trying to catch up :rolleyes: )

img_4925.jpg

img_4927.jpg

And two from this past summer on the Dragon with slightly modified luggage rack and no soft bag on top. I built the rack so that the only points that come in contact with the bikes body work are two bolts through an ebay bought passenger grab rail and a main supports at each passenger peg bracket. I mounted a wide signal light bracket on the back so my riding buddies know which way I'm about to turn (because they're always behind trying to catch up :rolleyes: )
Nice! How many miles do you have on your SV?

Hell...that's nuth'in. People put tons of miles on these bikes. This is one of the sweetest engines you will find. If you read reviews for this catagory, the SV still comes out on top, even after 9 years or so on the market. I would take mine on road trips of between 5 and 10 days as often as I could. As far as the seat is concerned, I have a Corbin on it in the pics with the helmet on the bar end. I have a Suzuki gel saddle on it in the others. And in the first pic, I actually have the gel saddle on the bike and the Corbin in the top soft bag! I had just got the gel saddle a day prior to a 10 day ride and wasn't sure I'd like it so I took both. Plus two riding jackets, two riding pants, two sets of boots, chain lube, tools, clothes, gloves....and the list goes on. I can carry more stuff with that set-up than I can on my FJR. It's ridiculous actually. The Corbin seat is lower but hard as a rock. The gel saddle is better for long rides but I hear that the sun breaks them down. So I use the Corbin for around town and the gel for long trips. The stock saddle sucks.

The FJR only has about 7,750 miles on it. But I only just got it and have had one trip on it so far. I'll keep the SV for solo riding and the FJR for the two-up stuff.

Well, that's nine of us so far! Not including the two SV1000 owners as well. I guess it really is an FJR/SV owner's sub club eh? We'll have to request our own category in the "General Motorcycle Forums" section.

B)

I'm another member of the FJR SV650S secret sub-club. :yahoo:
Me too. '02 Black and '05 Blue, both N models. I like the looks of the '02 best, but I think the '05 handles a bit better. Mucho fun.
'03 SVS Copper(like) color. I'm not crazy about the color but I got it at a good price.

I'm off to find the FJR SV650 RD400 exclusive secret sub-club. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. '02 Black and '05 Blue, both N models. I like the looks of the '02 best, but I think the '05 handles a bit better. Mucho fun.
'03 SVS Copper(like) color. I'm not crazy about the color but I got it at a good price.

Holy crap. '06 FJR, '04 SV650 and '76 RD400 here! That makes two of us so far. Any more out there?

Holy crap. '06 FJR, '04 SV650 and '76 RD400 here! That makes two of us so far. Any more out there?
Two of us--that exclusive enough B)

Congrats on the new bike, I think you and your son will really enjoy it, and tell your son I said thank you for his service, I ride both with my son , daughter and father, it's one of my greatest pleasure in life, i was not really close to my dad when I was growing up, he was always busy with the Highway patrol, but in our older years, bikes have really brought us together, and the bonds I'm forming with my own kids will last a life time, and I'm sure the same will happen for you and your son, way to go Dad!

I bought my 17 year old daughter a 06 SV650S for her second bike, she did a year on a Ninja 500 first, Now by no means is an SV any where close to a Ninja 636, but it's probably a better bike for your son to be on any ways, not too much power, pretty torquey for real world riding, and it's different, every one has a CBR or 636.

We put a few extras on my daughters bike and have done some mods to fit her better, every where we go people come over and ask what it is, some have asked if it was the new GSXR, and with the Yosh pipe, full lower cowls,it sounds like one bad ass lawn mower!!!!

On our daughters I made a fender eliminator for it, added the rear hugger, seat cowl, Yosh pipe, full lower cowls,Stebel horn, Stainless front brake lines, ditched the passenger foot peg on the LT side of the bike, and in the second set of pictures you can see we converted it over to the naked model style of dirt bike bars, and got rid of the clip ons, for a 650, it has a long reach to the bars and my daughter Ashlie was just too spread out on it, I think she will be much more comfortable and safer on it now since she'll have better control of it,

And to think it looked just like yours when it was new, there's allot you can do to an SV.

IMGP8396.jpg

IMGP8390.jpg

After converting to dirt bike bars, oh and my daughters customizing with decals. notice how much higher the bars are now,

IMGP0076.jpg

IMGP0078.jpg

Very nice Brian. Tell me you don't hop on that thing every once in a while. ;)

Mine will look very similar soon. Lower farings should be here next week, as well as the rear seat cowl. I've already mounted a Leo Vince Hi-exit carbon ehaust, fender eliminator with mini signals, flush LED front signals and converted the "running" lights to signals as well. I'll post up some pics when I get all the new stuff installed.

Had my first track day on the SV a few weekends ago and I'm hooked. Now I'm looking into suspension improvements for the track.

I LOVE the full fairing SVs. They sell an SV650SF now that comes with the full fairings. I seriously considered one instead of the FJR... but the FJR is way more ballin. :) Maybe when I get the FJR paid off I'll get an SV650SF as an "a to b" bike.

Hell...that's nuth'in. People put tons of miles on these bikes. This is one of the sweetest engines you will find.
No kidding, and easy to work on. I've got 50,000 miles on my '02. It has Wolo steel airhorns on it, a Five-Stars rack that lets me clip 3 Givi bags on it, some bar lifts since I'm 6'2", and a Sargent seat. Unfortunately the rack is no longer made.

It's not incredibly powerful but it's LIGHT, and VERY different compared to the FJR, so it's a nice changeup.