New Throttle Pulley on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Sometimes I am frustrated when manufactures make changes to fix things that aren't broken. Yamaha made some really good changes to the FJR in 06, but this ain't one of them.

I pulled off the tank to investigate the new pulley today. They have made the pulley on the throttle body so that it has a progressive pull. It gradually increases in diameter, and the end result is that very small changes in throttle movement at low RPM translate into much larger movements of the throttle plates. The end result is that it makes the bike feel twitchy, and high strung and it makes it extremely difficult to make throttle changes in mid turn without upsetting the bike. In some situations, it borders on becoming downright dangerous and you really have to focus and pay attention to throttle control as all you have to do is think about twisting it and the bike will speed up. It is real easy to snatch the bike when shifting and cornering and you really have to make a conscious effort to keep it under control. It just shouldn't be this way. I have done the Barbarian mod and taken all the slack out of the throttle cable and synchronized the throttle bodies, and released the center return spring, but it still is too twitchy for my tastes.

I don't know why Yamaha made this change to the bike, but it sure seems like a cheap parlor trick to make the bike feel faster without having to make any changes to the engine. A bike with the kind of horsepower and torque that the FJR has should not need to resort to this type of trickery. And besides, I suspect most owners would rather have a bike that rides and shifts smooth than one that feels quick in the first 1/3 of throttle movement. I can't help but wonder if this didn't contribute to some new owners getting rid of brand new bikes after only a few rides.

I took some photos of the throttle pulley in various positions in an attempt to show what it looks like, but it is hard to see on film. I plan on ordering a throttle pulley from an 05 and attempting to replace mine. I'll let you know how it works out. It does look like it is going to be a bear to replace, but I am going to attempt to do it anyway, as I don't care for the way the bike feels as it is.

If you look close at the photos you can see the cable shifts to the left where it comes off the pulley as the throttle is opened. This is due to the progressive diameter increase of the pulley.

Throttle pulley at idle (note middle return spring is released)

large.jpg

Throttle Pulley at half throttle

large.jpg

Throttle Pulley at Wide Open

large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

Whats up, you just posted last week that you were happy with the FJR, and that the MODS made it a more fun bike to ride!!!

I love the FJR, and I do not feel it is twitchy at all, and shifts very smooth to me, even better than my 05 GoldWing.

If you want twitchy, I will let you take my 06 GSX-R 1000 out for a spin :) Get it up to about 8k, and just think about twisting the throttle!!!

Todd

P.S. Quit looking under the plastic, you might find something that may haunt you under there :)

The bike is better than it was after I made the changes, but it is still not where I think it should be. I am going after that pulley.

I HAVE to remove the plastic and gas tank at least twice a week or else I go into withdrawls.

Fred,

I'm going to do the Barbarian Mod tomorrow & I'm hoping the changes you originally posted will satisfy me.

I will still be interested in reading how you make out when you change the pulley.

Interesting. Well done Fred. I really thought when Yammie advertised the "new throttle whatever", they were going to do the opposite and make it so that at low RPM it would take more throttle input to achieve the same throttlebody activation compared to previous models. In other words, make it smoother than the 03-05 generation FJRs.

In fact, are you positive they didn't go that way? I would order an 05 and an 06 pulley so you can physically compare them before going through the PITA of disassembly on your FJR.

Would make an excellent write-up with piccies! ;)

Yes, I am sure. I took the tank off and turned the throttle and could easily see larger movements of the throttle bodies at just off idle than I did near wide open.

The diameter of the pulley starts out small and gradually increases, so in the begining, it takes less cable to effect a larger angular deflection.

I am looking at the parts fiche now, and it doesn't look like I can buy the pulley by itself, so I may have to come up with a way to modify the existing one.

I am not doubting what you are seeing. I am just saying how do we know for sure that pulley on the 06 model doesn't have a reduced progressive rate from the 03-05 models?

Possible, no?

I don't without seeing what the 05 model looks like. All I can tell you is what I see on my 06. I can't believe that the 05 was this twitchy or you would have heard the whinning and complaining all year.

It is not un-rideable, but it is pretty noticeable twitchy. Trying to ride the bike fast through the twisties is a real handful and I am no novice. I never had to concentrate so hard to keep a bike smooth before. I guess in some respects, it really teaches you throttle control.

I suspect that if I could just get a throttle pulley off an 05, I could make this bike perfect. Anyone got a wrecked one they want to sell me the throttle bodies off of?

Fred,
Whats up, you just posted last week that you were happy with the FJR, and that the MODS made it a more fun bike to ride!!!

I love the FJR, and I do not feel it is twitchy at all, and shifts very smooth to me, even better than my 05 GoldWing.

If you want twitchy, I will let you take my 06 GSX-R 1000 out for a spin :) Get it up to about 8k, and just think about twisting the throttle!!!

Todd

P.S. Quit looking under the plastic, you might find something that may haunt you under there :)
:poster_stupid: Really, Quit analyzing every little thing and go ride and learn the bike instead going backwards! Get rid of it if your not happy with it. Like TAPnTX said, ride a literbike and learn what throttle control really is! The FJR will be lamb not a lion then!

Really, Quit analyzing every little thing and go ride and learn the bike instead going backwards! Get rid of it if your not happy with it. Like TAPnTX said, ride a literbike and learn what throttle control really is! The FJR will be lamb not a lion then!
What the hell fun would that be??? If I can't modify my bike to make it ride the way I want, then maybe you are right, I should just sell it.

Sure, you can ride a bike with poor set up suspension or brakes or tires and eventually you will get used to it and adjust, and maybe after a while you won't even notice it anymore. That doesn't make it right.

You also have to understand, I am an Engineer, and my very nature will not allow me to leave well enough alone.

Sometimes I am frustrated when manufactures make changes to fix things that aren't broken. Yamaha made some really good changes to the FJR in 06, but this ain't one of them.
I don't know why Yamaha made this change to the bike, but it sure seems like a cheap parlor trick to make the bike feel faster without having to make any changes to the engine. A bike with the kind of horsepower and torque that the FJR has should not need to resort to this type of trickery. And besides, I suspect most owners would rather have a bike that rides and shifts smooth than one that feels quick in the first 1/3 of throttle movement. I can't help but wonder if this didn't contribute to some new owners getting rid of brand new bikes after only a few rides.

If it ain't broke, then maybe I need to fix it. :D

If the FJR had a fly-by-wire throttle control like the R6 you'd really be out of luck. Or maybe not. You could tweak the software to make the throttle do anything you want.

I bet the R6 doesn't have a strong throttle spring. Instead of turning a throttle linkage and butterfly valves with springs you're only turning a rheostat that is similar to a throttle position sensor. Maybe next year the FJR will have this servomotor type of throttle control.

You also have to understand, I am an Engineer, and my very nature will not allow me to leave well enough alone.
Say no more! I completely understand now! lol :D

If the FJR had a fly-by-wire throttle control like the R6 you'd really be out of luck. Or maybe not. You could tweak the software to make the throttle do anything you want.

I bet the R6 doesn't have a strong throttle spring. Instead of turning a throttle linkage and butterfly valves with springs you're only turning a rheostat that is similar to a throttle position sensor. Maybe next year the FJR will have this servomotor type of throttle control.
Actually the R6 is pretty stout! More so than my R1. Closer to my FJR that hasn't had the spring removed.

Have seen this on other vehicles, most notably Chrysler Mini Vans. I worked a couple years for an operation that converts them and others for Disabled Driver useage. This involved wheelchair tiedowns, ramps etc, but where the progressive throttle comes in was Hand Contols. While the van made for an excellent base for conversion, most people I dealt with had the biggest problem in smooth application of throttle, tough from a wheelchair in the best of times; the aruptness of the Mopars was a real problem for some, requiring a switch to Windstars or Ventures instead.

Sorry but this is just a plain ol' non-issue for me. I think about where and how I want to get somewhere, and the FJR does it. Throttle response is perfect for me. Now it is a little hard with the stock springs the way they are, but I'm getting more used to it as the miles pile up.......think I'll be able to rip phone books soon :)

Seriously, I think you have every right to modify your vehicle how it suits you. But don't forget to enjoy it's unique character too.

Seems like every bike I buy and read internet forums about have those who insist that the bike is full of inadequacies... and proceed to modify. About 90% of that group ends up disappearing after finding their mods screw the bike up beyond usefulness. A few soldier on with the mods and do everything except riding the bike.

But, I'm over-simplifying. Let's give Fred the chance to strut his stuff.

Yes, I am sure. I took the tank off and turned the throttle and could easily see larger movements of the throttle bodies at just off idle than I did near wide open.
The diameter of the pulley starts out small and gradually increases, so in the begining, it takes less cable to effect a larger angular deflection.

I am looking at the parts fiche now, and it doesn't look like I can buy the pulley by itself, so I may have to come up with a way to modify the existing one.

any wayu you can flip it over so it works the other way? :wacko:

Mary

Really, Quit analyzing every little thing and go ride and learn the bike instead going backwards! Get rid of it if your not happy with it. Like TAPnTX said, ride a literbike and learn what throttle control really is! The FJR will be lamb not a lion then!
What the hell fun would that be??? If I can't modify my bike to make it ride the way I want, then maybe you are right, I should just sell it.

Sure, you can ride a bike with poor set up suspension or brakes or tires and eventually you will get used to it and adjust, and maybe after a while you won't even notice it anymore. That doesn't make it right.

Ok, so how about coming to mhy place and ripping off the plasitc and putting on the wilber's (both ends) the MoKo's, the Heatroller and the rest of the stuff I ordered that I forgot what it was! <BG>

I'd druther ride! :D

Mary

Fred, I'm with you all the way on this one. I've done the same mods that you've done so far and they've made a tremendous difference...but...... this herky jerky shit in the low rpm's is above and beyond what should be happening. This is the first bike i've owned in 35 years thats a challenge to drive smoothly at city speeds and inspires no confidence in mid turn.

this thread reminds me of the good old heat issue. I know a 145 hp motorcyle should get warm, but it shouldnt be a blast furnace. Some of these guys can just overlook it. I can't. I'll enjoy this bike while i've got it, but if we cant work out this issue, we'll be forced to peak at what honda brings to the table in 2007. I've already jumped ship from the honda camp when my st1300 thought i was an egg at the waffle house on sunday morning. Hopefully, i wont have to jump back.

thanx

GreyGoose

I think this must be similar to why I can't tell a $10K stereo from a walkman.

Of all the bikes I've owned, I put the most miles on my BMW K1200LT. I find the FJR's throttle response and low rpm handling to be right on par with that bike.

I've done the mods described in this thread and find they made a great ride damn near perfect.

Some day, perhaps one of you can demonstrate a bike that's "smooth" so I can see how "jerky" this one is. Until then, I'm really happy with the FJR.