New Throttle Pulley on 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred,

I like the shape of that wire. You see there really were many uses for that French curve you held on to from drafting and descriptive geometry classes. :p By the way, when it’s your toy, why shouldn’t you be able to play with it?

Personally, I like reading about, and seeing, the projects you’ve undertaken. I think you are generous to a fault just for being willing to share so much detailed information publicly.

If I have time, I *may* try to go plot a couple curves showing the throttle plate action versus throttle grip action on the original and on my modified set up.

The end effect is pretty dramatic. I gotta say, I REALLY like the bike much better now.

So happy you did this Fred. I have to agree with you that the design could have been better. I did the jumper, adjusted cables, added touring grips, etc., and now find I can ride very very smoothly (this coming from a Road King). BUT, the jerk I get in off/on transition is still there and I really have to watch it in the corners with traffic around. I have adapted as well as I can, but it could be better.

Yes, I come from HDs, but I have significant experience with sport bikes and MHRA. My Guzzi V11s is also plagued with a progressive throttle cam. It's a known bug in many guzzi models and few have been able to fix it short of fabbing up a new cam with a shorter ramp. Most just accept it. But it also has ALOT less power than the FJR!

Fred, if you come to Colorado I'll hire you to fix my bike, whether it needs it or not. Will you work for beer?

You won't believe the difference this makes in the way the bike rides. It is like night and day.

It won't eliminate the drive line lash you get from on/off throttle transitions, but it will make those transitions smoother and less abrupt. The engine is more controllable and it makes the bike less work to ride smoothly and more fun.

It would be nice if I could get a throttle pulley off an 03-05, but after looking at what it would take to remove that pulley, I prefer this fix, as I didn't have to remove the throttle cables or pulley to install it, and I can easily remove/modify/change it anytime I want.

Thanks Fred, I have found the '06 to be a little abrupt in the 1st 2 gears too. This is my first FJR and my last bike was a Vtwin so I know that is subjective. I love this bike but there has definitely been a learning curve for me. I have seen all of the flaming you have received and just wanted to let you know that I appreciate someone who isn’t afraid to sometime go against the flow to improve on a good thing. :clapping: