New VS Used -and other bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

When I said mid 14s around here that was before sales tax and license. Those will put the total investment into the mid 15s.

As far as I can tell, there's no difference between sport and tour mode except the throttle itself; there's no difference in mapping. I can tell a difference but it's just the amount the throttle has to be turned -- sport is a much quicker throttle. I've got arthritis in my right hand, and the sport mode is wonderful for me. I have trouble getting full throttle on my other bikes without starting with a high wrist -- not so on the FJR.

'08's and later had ABS standard, I think? There is a matrix comparison in the new owner section, I don't think the link is working. If you could find a well cared older one that some one had done a decent Audiovox cruise install, you'd be giggling.

I too, have struggled with justifying 7 or 8k for a '13. But damn, they're nice.

As far as maintenance, I haven't done a lot on the other similar style bikes, but, I can't see how it would be possible for them to be easier to work on than the FJR.

Oil changes in minutes. I bet that several people on this forum, who do their own wrenching, could have the tank off and be at the plugs in 10 or 15 minutes as well. Easy peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corbin make a heated Canyon, I have one. I'm not so sure when it's cold out the seat heat really makes me warm all over? The same could be said for the heated grips? When it's really cold (here in the great white north) the back of my gloved hands still feel it! I love my FJR but for comfort I have to add heated gear to get really comfortable. When it's that cold I don't like riding the bike anyway and getting caught in a storm etc. doesn't usually last that long! For me riding is as much about the outside environment, cold, hot, smells etc.. 2cents

Corbin make a heated Canyon, I have one. I'm not so sure when it's cold out the seat heat really makes me warm all over? The same could be said for the heated grips? When it's really cold (here in the great white north) the back of my gloved hands still feel it! I love my FJR but for comfort I have to add heated gear to get really comfortable. When it's that cold I don't like riding the bike anyway and getting caught in a storm etc. doesn't usually last that long! For me riding is as much about the outside environment, cold, hot, smells etc.. 2cents
+1. I don't go anywhere without my heated gear. Love it! And, around these parts there are only 3, or 4 months if you're really lucky, without frost. Couldn't do it without heated grips. I have never thought I needed a heated seat.

I'm going to try my first trip in June on the stock saddle. I suspect, after that, I'll be shopping for one before the August trip ;)
The stock seat is rubbish. Weirdest thing, it actually made me constipated on long rides. That's a bad thing. I'm happy with the Seargent seat, but much better aftermarket out there for comfort.

On my June trip, I'm meeting a friend in Utah with a Gen II and Sargent saddle. He said I could try it. Maybe once we get them swapped, if I can still outrun him ...................

When I compare a 2013 FJR to a used one for say $9000, it gets hard for me to justify $7500 for Cruise, Traction, and ABS.I guess there is the updated look too.Hummm...
Paid $9k for my '09 almost two years ago with 5,400 miles, GP Forks and Penske shock.
rolleyes.gif

Unless the new bodywork spins your prop, there are many great buys out there with $$$ to be saved. Patience... the right one will show up!

--G

Hi Guys-It has been 2005 since we last spoke, and I am trying to determine if I should go for a '13 FJR over buying a used one or something else. The price is starting to get close to BMW (R1200RT) money and BMW seems to give you more gadgets to play with in flight albeit they are more money. There is also the Concours too.
Have you priced the RT? I have no need to go into a BMW dealership so can only regurgitate a recent review in Motorcycle Consumer News, they list the retail on 2012 1200RT at $17.3k up to $21k! Shazaam!

Yes...The FJR needs a 6th gear, or a taller 5th. Except the FJR runs at highway speeds in 5th gear at lower RPMS than just about everyone else does in 6th gear.
Not quite, but other then the older K14, I don't think there's significant difference:

at 65MPH:

2012 1200RT 3465

2012 K14 3230

2010 K14 3166

2010 FJR 3476

2013 FJR ???? (damn, can't find that issue!)

(source MCNews)

If I was even remotely thinking of picking up a '13 I would be on an airplane to see Littlefish and drive that bike home.

Hi Guys-It has been 2005 since we last spoke, and I am trying to determine if I should go for a '13 FJR over buying a used one or something else. The price is starting to get close to BMW (R1200RT) money and BMW seems to give you more gadgets to play with in flight albeit they are more money. There is also the Concours too.
Have you priced the RT? I have no need to go into a BMW dealership so can only regurgitate a recent review in Motorcycle Consumer News, they list the retail on 2012 1200RT at $17.3k up to $21k! Shazaam!

Yes...The FJR needs a 6th gear, or a taller 5th. Except the FJR runs at highway speeds in 5th gear at lower RPMS than just about everyone else does in 6th gear.
Not quite, but other then the older K14, I don't think there's significant difference:

at 65MPH:

2012 1200RT 3465

2012 K14 3230

2010 K14 3166

2010 FJR 3476

(source MCNews)
Checking the owners manuals online, the primary reduction, secondary reduction, and 5th gear ratios are the same on the 2010 and 2013 FJRs. So they should be the same.

Thanks for going to the effort to find this. I couldn't find any tests in my magazines that gave rpm in high gear. I was trying to calculate it, but it was making my head hurt ;)

Hi Guys-It has been 2005 since we last spoke, and I am trying to determine if I should go for a '13 FJR over buying a used one or something else. The price is starting to get close to BMuW (R1200RT) money and BMW seems to give you more gadgets to play with in flight albeit they are more money. There is also the Concours too.

at 65MPH:

2012 1200RT 3465

2012 K14 3230

2010 K14 3166

2010 FJR 3476

(source MCNews)
Sorry Denver...Your info is wrong. How do I know? Not because I read it somewhere, but because I've ridden the bikes back to back. Argue all you want...The FJR doesn't NEED a 6th gear.

Sorry Denver...Your info is wrong. How do I know? Not because I read it somewhere, but because I've ridden the bikes back to back. Argue all you want...The FJR doesn't NEED a 6th gear.
Brother, I'm on your side! After hearing all the ruckus about how Yamaha missed it by not including a 6th gear on the '13 FJR, it got my attention and I've been watching specs to see how other bikes with 6th gear compare. While there's differences in weight and engine size, the difference in RPM and gas mileage isn't much, practically insignificant. Even the beastly K16 GT, with 1600cc's and 6 speeds is still turning 3k RPMs at 65.

Yeah, sorry Denver. I was trying to hurry up and posted that on the run. Kinda came off like an ass. Sorry 'bout that!!

I'm just going to throw this out there. Flienlow, if you buy a Concours or RT over the FJR, you're crazy. Now, if you we're to acquire a K1600GT, I'd be jealous.
I have owned 2 RT's. If there stereo was a little better and engine was a little more entertaining, I feel it would be the perfect bike for me. If money was no object, I would have the K1600GT period the end, but they are way too much money and so is a new RT for that matter.

Why would I be crazy for going with an Concours? I have only put about 5 miles on one, and frankly dont remember the bike. With that said, it seems to be the closest comparison with the FJR. If fact, going used for used, a 2010 Concours has traction control, 6 speeds, and ABS. Going new, the FJR Kills it.

I don't have any experience with the C14; it just seems big, especially compared to the FJR. I like the earlier bikes' look better than the new one with all the "gills," but my understanding is that heat really is an issue with those. I also think the K-Pass might make me nuts. I do have a good bit of saddle time on the R12RT. Maybe it's because I've been a BMW guy, but I like the boxer motor. I'm happy letting the bike and the wind be music for me. If I'm on the slab, I'll plug in. That's my uninformed thought...

I'm just going to throw this out there. Flienlow, if you buy a Concours or RT over the FJR, you're crazy. Now, if you we're to acquire a K1600GT, I'd be jealous.
I have owned 2 RT's. If there stereo was a little better and engine was a little more entertaining, I feel it would be the perfect bike for me. If money was no object, I would have the K1600GT period the end, but they are way too much money and so is a new RT for that matter.

Why would I be crazy for going with an Concours? I have only put about 5 miles on one, and frankly dont remember the bike. With that said, it seems to be the closest comparison with the FJR. If fact, going used for used, a 2010 Concours has traction control, 6 speeds, and ABS. Going new, the FJR Kills it.
You're right, I did have the new ones in mind. Used, maybe not so crazy.

One of the things that sells me on the FJR is the regular pump gas and increased range compared to C14. I find that even the FJR's range is unacceptable. The RT really shines here, though.

Regular? Kewl. I hadn't paid close enough attention to notice that. Is that true for Gen II's as well?