New Zero Miles 2007 FJR: $12500 OTD

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's always a better deal to be had... there's always someone who paid less then you... It really depends on what your priorities are. I personally choose to place price below service and experience in my priorities. I've walked out on the cheap dealer because of attitude and salesman BS and as a result, I've paid more for a great buying experience.
MHO - I've been in all my local dealers, know which ones I like and trust, and where my money goes... I decided who I was buying from before I knew they even had one on the lot. (Did that with both my KLR and FJR purchases)

Some people place the deal over service and experience, and I am sure they have better advice on getting the best deal...

Jason

Amen to what you said. I see all these posts with what they say they paid but talk is cheap. Believe a lot of this when you see it. If you think you did good that is ALL that matters.

What dealer is this?? Not returning phone calls for weeks at a time? its a pretty good sign to find a new dealer...
I'm in Connecticut - believe me there are other dealers around but this one is only 5 miles from my house. The way I look at it the ride back from Alabama is a great break-in.

When I bought my '06 in '06, I knew that I could shop a bit and save some cash. However, I think there is more to it than purchase price. I have a good dealer near my home that I can be at in 10-15 minutes. They aren't the lowest price, but their service department treated me well. I want that dealership there in case I need them, so I do need to spend a few bucks there from time to time.

I applaud what D&H does, but Alabama is a long way from Minnesota. Keeping everybody 'honest' by comparing prices is not bad either. But, if I want Motoprimo there when I need them, well, when I knew it was time to realize my dream, I asked them how much. They shot out a rational price, and I signed the check. And I have never regretted it. Glad I didn't wait any longer. Life is too short.

of course, just my humble...

paul from Minnesota

I have an FJR and can't think of any bike I would rather have (if you can have only one!)

Amen to what you said. I see all these posts with what they say they paid but talk is cheap. Believe a lot of this when you see it. If you think you did good that is ALL that matters.
Yeah, you're right. Anyone that got a better deal than you is a liar. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Paid $12,200 in Jan. 2007 for a new 07 from Deming Cycle in southern NM. TT&L extra.

Two weeks ago the same shop had a new 2008 on the floor for the same price.

I don't understand why getting a good deal from a non local dealer means you are not going to get good service at your local dealer. I bought mine on eBay from Heinen's in Osseo, MN, and have it serviced just North of my place in Georgetown, TX. I have met the owner, he knows I bought the bike from a dealer in Minnesota, and I still have a great working relationship with them. If you have a dealer that is going to treat you bad because you didn't buy the bike from them, I'm not sure that is a dealer I want to be working with anyway. This isn't high school, it's bidness....

Wow...thanks for all the posts. I too am willing to pay a little more if the dealer's service warrants keeping my business there, and my brother has told the dealer that he will continue to go back if the right deal is made. I have told him to lurk here a little to get some first hand info, and will give him the info on the dealers that were specifically mentioned.

I think buying a bike is a much bigger PITA than a car because car dealers will show invoice and the prices can be found on line. Bikes are a different story. It seems most dealers have a reason why their bike has to cost more than another's. I called the dealer here in Albuquerque where I get my service done because they still have the '07 FJR I offered to buy last April (When they refused to deal, I went to Colorado). I was hoping he would match or beat the dealer in Taos. That idiot still will not go below $12800 OTD. Eventually he's either gonna find a sucker or have to give that bike away because he continues to be a greedy bastard. I guess that's the principle behind free commerce, but I would think these guys would sell more bikes if they didn't play so many games. Anyway...Thanks.

Edit: Jmdaniel, I just saw your post. I totally agree. The service manager at my local dealer is a great guy and the reason I take my bike there. He knows exactly why I didn't buy from his dealer. The parts guys are great too. The sales guys on the other hand are driven by a manager that thinks customers are stupid. I bought my bike in Colorado a week after being in the Albuquerque showroom getting lied to. When I went in for service, the sales manager asked me if I had finally come to meet his terms. I laughed at him and pointed to my new FJR with Colorado drive off tags. I thought his head was gonna pop.

I don't understand why getting a good deal from a non local dealer means you are not going to get good service at your local dealer. I bought mine on eBay from Heinen's in Osseo, MN, and have it serviced just North of my place in Georgetown, TX. I have met the owner, he knows I bought the bike from a dealer in Minnesota, and I still have a great working relationship with them. If you have a dealer that is going to treat you bad because you didn't buy the bike from them, I'm not sure that is a dealer I want to be working with anyway. This isn't high school, it's bidness....
Not sure if you're referring to my previous post, but I didn't mean to imply that you'd get bad service if you don't buy it there... I was speaking of the buying process and getting good service through the deal... I prefer to work with local people and place less emphasis on the price.

After buying and selling almost 30 cars and bikes over the years, it's just whats worked out for me...

err... wait... Ack... I am approaching 30 cars and bikes... :blink:

After buying and selling almost 30 cars and bikes over the years, it's just whats worked out for me...
Same here. Used to be the guy who'd keep going back and forth between 5 different dealers until I knew for certain I had the very best deal I could possibly get, down to the last hundred bucks. Sales guys hated my guts. Now I just don't get the satisfaction out of the deal any more as much as I used to. And I guess I'm fortunate in that I no longer need to, either. As long as the deal is fair and I don't totally get taken advantage of it's fine. Live and let live, I guess. And the benefit of not having to deal with unpleasant people is priceless. IMO.

Hey, I was just commenting on a couple of posts that mention service as a higher priority over final price. Considering what this thread is named, and that the person originating it mentions nothing in the first post about service, I was simply pointing out that price and service don't have to be mutually exclusive. 10 years of working in supply chain functions, and 47 of being a frugal bastard, drives my behavior. And with the information available today, it's much easier to save them nickels. YMMV.

Paid $12,200 in Jan. 2007 for a new 07 from Deming Cycle in southern NM. TT&L extra.
Two weeks ago the same shop had a new 2008 on the floor for the same price.
My brother showed up in Albuquerque last night. He called Deming Cycle this AM and got a quote of just under $12.5k OTD for the '08. Looks like we are taking a trip south. By the time he gets it home to Taos, it outta be about ready for it's first service. Thanks HM....

I put down a deposit yesterday on a new 2007 (manual clutch) at Heinen's in Osseo MN. $11,800 OTD including tax, title and license.

I put down a deposit yesterday on a new 2007 (manual clutch) at Heinen's in Osseo MN. $11,800 OTD including tax, title and license.
In last Sunday's paper, Heinen's were advertising the FJR A model at $11,495 which is $300 bucks cheaper than Larson's in Cambridge. Heinen's must have knocked a little more off the price for you as the sales tax alone on $11,495 brings the price to $12,242.

I have always been treated well at Heinen's.

I just bought my 2008 for $13,800 OTD. Of course $1083.30 was sales tax for Arizona and another $288 covered the license for one year. So I guess the price I paid was $12,428.70 before tax & lic.

During my search for a ’08, I had dealings with a dealership in California (Bert’s Mega mall), Apex Sports and Rocky Mountain Cycle in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Honda East in Toledo Ohio and Champion Cycle in Chicago IL. I had searched EBay and Cycle Trader almost continuously.

Let me tell you. I had come so close to making a deal that my bank had cut the check and was prepared to ship it Over-Night delivery only to have the shop suddenly impose an additional increase of over $500 bucks to the cost of the bike. At first my local dealer wanted $15,600 OTD for the bike I have right now and would not budge on the price.

To moral of this story is this; there are a lot of dealerships out there that will quote you a great OTD price only to put the screws to you minutes before the deal is finalized. After I sat down with my local dealer and physically showed them two purchase orders from other shops they agreed to meet their best price plus $300 (what it was going to cost me to drive to Colorado in the snow to go pick it up). So I feel I actually saved myself plenty of money and a lot of future headaches. When push came to shove, my local dealer came through and made the deal. Now if I need service, no problem. If I need warranty work, no problem. If I want to be treated like a good customer, no problem. And let me tell you, just because the manufacturer says you can take your bike anywhere for warranty work, they are lying to you. I bought a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter that I still have and love. It’s great to ride around town, run to the market or buzz over to a friends place. Anyway, I received a letter that it was being recalled for an idle sensor. Because my local dealer would out (refused) to meet the price a shop offered me in Phoenix, I bought it in Phoenix. Saved myself close to a grand. But when I asked about this recall, my local Suzuki dealership told me to take it to Phoenix to get the problem corrected. He wanted nothing to do with me or my scooter. Oh, did I mention I bought three (3) Suzuki ATV’s from this guy, 2 500 Vinson’s and a 700 King Quad plus about $2500 in accessories during the two prior years and this is the way he treated me about the recall on my Burgman. My Burgman runs great and has not shown any problems concerning this recall, so it really doesn’t matter that much to me. I even made a trip out to California to visit a friend on my Burgman and it ran flawlessly on the California freeways.

The point I’m trying to make here is this; if you are happy with the price you paid and the service you get is as you would expect it to be, then feel good about the deal you made. As for me, if I ever buy another Suzuki, the absolute last place I would ever buy another Suzuki is at Lake Havasu Suzuki. The after-purchase service sucks, the sales sucks and the whole attitude of the place sucks. I would drive to New York before I would buy a spark plug from that store. I bought my FJR at Walt’s Cycles in Lake Havasu and I can gladly say I feel good about the whole process from Walt’s.

Shop around, but be prepared to be let-down when the deal sounds too good to be true. But mostly, don’t fall victim to tricks. Stand your ground and if you smell a rat, tell them to shove that purchase where the sun doesn’t shine.

In last Sunday's paper, Heinen's were advertising the FJR A model at $11,495 which is $300 bucks cheaper than Larson's in Cambridge. Heinen's must have knocked a little more off the price for you as the sales tax alone on $11,495 brings the price to $12,242.

I have always been treated well at Heinen's.
Sales tax in Osseo is 6.65%, 6.5% is MN sales tax, 0.15% is Hennepin County sales and use tax.

Code:
       2007 FJR13A      11,000
       Doc fee              50
       Title, reg, plate    27
       Tax on 11,000       731.50
       --------------------------    
       Invoice Total    11,808.50
The last new bike I bought was my 2001 SV650S, which I bought from Larson's in Cambridge. I went to Larson's because they were willing to talk straight and not try to tack on hundreds of dollars onto their advertised price for "freight and setup" like the Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer in Anoka. Despite having two Kawasakis and one Suzuki at the moment, I still don't go back to that dealer, even though they are only about 2 miles from me.

Sales tax in Osseo is 6.65%, 6.5% is MN sales tax, 0.15% is Hennepin County sales and use tax.

Code:
       2007 FJR13A      11,000
       Doc fee              50
       Title, reg, plate    27
       Tax on 11,000       731.50
       --------------------------    
       Invoice Total    11,808.50
The last new bike I bought was my 2001 SV650S, which I bought from Larson's in Cambridge. I went to Larson's because they were willing to talk straight and not try to tack on hundreds of dollars onto their advertised price for "freight and setup" like the Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer in Anoka. Despite having two Kawasakis and one Suzuki at the moment, I still don't go back to that dealer, even though they are only about 2 miles from me.

Larson's is a good place to buy because of their prices. However, their service dept leaves much to be desired.

$11,999 even for a 2007 A seems to be the best OTD price I have found in the SoCal area. Same dealer wants $13,999 for a 2008 A.

I haven't done enough research yet to know if it's worth the extra $2K for the 08. The only change that sounded really worthwhile was the ABS upgrade, which can be a big deal. I know the ABS system on my GS has some peculiar traits that I hope are not replicated on the FJR.

I know it sounds kind of lame, but I'm not sure I could deal with the cherry color on the 07. I'd hate to spend $2K just to get black, but I really have never liked that color.

I don't give a damn about any of my local dealers up in NY because they don't give a damn about me. They try to make me feel as if they give a damn about me but experience has taught me that they are full of it. That's something you learn with age.

Case in point: I told my local dealer that I was about to purchase an 06 from D&H for 12,000 with Yes out the door with tax to be paid in NY; However, I truly would prefer to purchase an 06 from him but I was not gonna be a fool and just give away money on the deal.

At this point it was not a matter of how much he was gonna sell me one for, it was his ability to be truthful....So he goes and says:

- - - You have been a good customer to me

- - - You have purchased 2 other bikes from me

- - - I will sell you an 06 for 11,800 plus 300.00 for set-up plus 400.00 for 4-year Yes

- - - For a total of 12,500 plus tax out the door

It was the 300.00 for set-up lie that got under my skin as per I did not have to be lied to about some set-up crap that's already included in Yamaha's pricing. Just tell me 12,500 is what you would sell it to me for with Yes.........So I just let it go and put it in my memory file.

I won't make that mistake next time because honesty means a great deal to me. That's probably why you hear and see sooooo many people on the D&H bandwagon.