Newbie here, Question about 2 up riding...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrezz425

Reaction score
How is the FJR when you ride with a passenger, I am bikeless right now but want an FJR. I was also thinking about the Moto Guzzi Norge. I would like to have my wife go with me riding sometimes, I used to have super scooters(Piaggio X9 500) and Vespa GTS 250, Decent power but the passenger was cramped on the Vespa and the footpegs on the X9 was hard for my 5'0" wife to reach. Lotsa comfort though on the X9 for me. Does the topcase come off easy? On the X9 it was blocking the battery case. Would like some opinions and advise about riding with a passenger. thanks DR

My wife and I bought the FJR specifically for two-up riding. We aren't into HD's, and we thought Goldwing's were two "elderly" for us. It has worked out great and we are very satisfied with the bike. My pillion says it is a lot more comfortable than other bikes we have been on and is very pleased with the ergonomics. We have been so happy that we are taking the next steps in spending money towards comm gear and are planning a big trip of some sort next year. Bottom line, we have found it a good choice. Good luck with your decision.

How is the FJR when you ride with a passenger, I am bikeless right now but want an FJR. I was also thinking about the Moto Guzzi Norge. I would like to have my wife go with me riding sometimes, I used to have super scooters(Piaggio X9 500) and Vespa GTS 250, Decent power but the passenger was cramped on the Vespa and the footpegs on the X9 was hard for my 5'0" wife to reach. Lotsa comfort though on the X9 for me. Does the topcase come off easy? On the X9 it was blocking the battery case. Would like some opinions and advise about riding with a passenger. thanks DR
When I was in the market a few months back, I was specifically focusing on bikes for 2-up riding and touring. I bought an '07 AE with the Yamaha topcase & backrest and we have very pleased with it. It has power when needed, great fuel economy (+50 mpg w/both of us), superb handling, good weather protection, and lots of room for luggage. I do have some winter projects in mind such as new seats (the stock seats are OK for short rides but not very comfortable for long hauls), additional driving lights (stock lights are more than sufficient but some extra light never hurts), and a new windscreen. Other enhancements such as GPS, commsystem, LED marker lights, cruise control are also planned.

I did not look at the Norge but I did look very closely at the BMW R1200RT, H-D Heritage Softail, H-D Road King, Kaw Nomad, Suzuki C90T, and the Star RS Tour Deluxe. I came close to buying the RT but the FJR stole my heart. Good luck on your decision and happy trails.

I had a Norge for a while. I was really happy when I bought it, and really really really happy when I got rid of it.

I had Sargent make a custom seat for me because the stock seat had foam that broke down after the first thousand miles. Granted, I'm a heavy guy..... but the Norge foam failure was worse than I'd experienced on other $15,000+ msrp bikes.

Reports of top box failures were quite frequent on the forum I participated in during 2007. There was also a lot of complaining about scraping the center stand when riding two up. There was a lot of discussion of the idea that maybe MotoGuzzi was working on stiffer rear suspension. These issues would affect two up riding.

Other charming little quirks of the Norge included:

Rattling, shaky power windshield with reports of failed drives

Short circuit in the head light area that could fry enough stuff to stop the bike suddenly due to electrical failure

Some units had access holes to check the oil with the dipstick, and others did not. There is no sight glass.

Guzzi recommended AGIP 10W60 full synthetic oil. Try to buy some. I got mine by the case from the importer in CT, but most folks did not follow the recommendation and used other stuff that did not meet the Guzzi 10W60 spec.

The fairing plastic became more brittle as it aged (short time period aging, not years, but months). Some guys were able to talk Guzzi into warranty replacement. The last oil change I did on my bike showed that gaskets and fairing tabs on the inside were failing. This was a 2007 Norge and all this stuff happened in 2007.

The blow by was the worst I've ever seen in an IC engine. Oil consumption was "within" a very generous spec (maybe a liter in 800 miles). This wouldn't be as intolerable if you didn't have to remove three fairing pieces to check the dip stick. Some folks bought dip stick extenders from Teo Lamers in the Netherlands for about $140 with shipping.

The dealers are mad at Piaggio USA for lack of support. Parts come in the wrong bags. Piaggio doesn't answer the phone all the time. Dealers come and go pretty regularly. Their dealer network makes BMW's look downright Honda-esque. Guzzi's road side assistance was a common point for complaint.

All this good stuff about the Norge that was on the forum has disappeared under the guise of revising the software and updating stuff. So the Norge starts over on its customer data sharing.

The bike was grossly underpowered. At its light weight (a good 50 to 75 pounds lighter than the FJR), and published 95 hp figure, you'd expect it to keep up with or out do a Honda ST1100 which weighs about 50 to 75 pounds more than an FJR and has similar published power. I owned both simultaneously for several months. While the Guzzi was always fun to ride, it was nothing like the FJR in terms of either its ability to carve curves, or its ability to pull in a straight line.

I could go on ... and on.... and on..... but I won't.

I had a Moto Guzzi Norge and it did not take long for me to decide that it was just problems waiting to get worse. I have an FJR, and I like it well enough to make semi-permanent space for it in my "stable."

Good luck with your decision.

Edit: I forgot one other really important issue. Moto Guzzi uses the Axone engine diagnostic system, but Piaggio USA did not require Moto Guzzi dealers in the US to acquire the system. Then the bikes tended to come from the factory set up with the wrong TPS, making them prone to what folks here might described as a herky jerky throttle response. The dealer's with the Axone gear and the training to use it could sort this out, but the rest would muck around with cables and things, generally making a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a sport-tourer, there really isn't much that beats the FJR. I found the stock riding position acceptable but a bit hunched over, so the bar risers helped. With my little passenger, I do not even notice her 67 pounds there. I haven't ridden two up with the wife yet. As your wife is 5' even, you will not have to add passenger foot peg extenders to the FJR. A backrest or pad for the top box might help though when you twist the throttle open. :devil: And I believe most people leave their top boxes on, but I do know that the box itself (Yamaha or Givi brand, maybe some others) can be removed and installed onto its rack rather simply. The rack that the box sits on takes a few more minutes, but there is really nothing under there worth looking at anyway.

Does that answer your questions? If you want, there are plenty of people on this forum who are ready to trash other bikes (HD, Honda, Moto Guz...oh, wait, got that one already!) to help you make your decision.

For people such as us who are less than svelte, or I guess that's more than svelte, the FJR is under-sprung but as long as the scale doesn't cringe when you step on it you should be OK for 20,000 miles. I had to get peg extenders for my 5' 10" wife but that doesn't sound like a problem for you. A bigger windshield and aftermarket seat may be in the cards. YMMV

As counterpoint, I bought my '06 a year ago specifically for two-up touring. Didn't work out. My wife hates the FJR and won't ride on it. Luckily, I hadn't sold our Harley at the time and she likes riding on it, so I still have that one as well. I suspect in the coming year—if the economy improves (big if)—I'll sell them both and buy a proper touring bike. In the meantime, I use the FJR for solo long distance and the Harley for around town, short hops, and two-up riding. Best of both worlds, I guess, but I'd like to have only one bike that does everything well, if that animal exists. Good luck on your decision.

My FJR is a great touring bike for the wife and I, once I modified it. Like others have suggested, some type of backrest is very important. I went with the color matched and better looking factory trunk for my bike. Givi makes more efficient and less expensive boxes. I pull my topbox whenever I don't have a passenger and it only takes seconds to remove.

The positioning of the box doesn't leave enough room for me and the wife. I sit in a slouched position and don't like her pressed against my back while riding. My 5'6" wife was 200 lbs last year (don't tell her I'm revealing this fact), so she pressed into me. She also felt the positioning was too upright. I ended up making a custom mount plate so that the trunk could be mounted further back. Now we're both very happy.

The wife also wanted to be able to stretch her legs out more, so I got some extensions for the passenger pegs. She really like them, but I have to be more carefull cornering with her onboard because those extended pegs will drag before anything else.

I have an '04FJR with the Corbin/Yamaha seat/backrest. I have a 4'10" wife that is really fond of day trips on the bike. We've done up to some 300 mile round (day) trips and several multiple day trips and she has always been happy. Admittedly, she was/is happier with the backrest, those times when the front end game off the ground (Power Commander with "Accelerator Pump" Function) made her a wee bit unhappy. She doesn't use it as "backrest" but as a safety factor. We used to ride pretty aggressively in the CA Santa Cruz Mountains and the Sierra. Now we ride in NC a bit more sedately, scenery is quite nice and the LEO's are aggressive. I have to be satisfied with quick WOT sprints that don't get to the speeds that were common on CA. You'll be happy with the power even with the wife on board, its a great Sport-Touring machine. You might consider getting front fork springs reasonably soon.

My wife and I have logged many miles together on the FJR, and well, we're not afraid of dinner or so it seems. We exceed the max the manufacturer reccomends but have had no problems. That said, I hope to upgrade the suspension as soon as financially possible. We have an 05 and started with a corbin close, but upgraded to a custom seat by rich. When we did that, we removed the peg extenders and she really likes the position. The trunk is a must, I've got a give 46 and it gives extra storage and a good backrest. Last fall we demo'd a wing and she said she preferred the FJR, which is good for me.

I am hoping that you have more 2 wheeled experiance than just riding scooters...

KM

I am hoping that you have more 2 wheeled experiance than just riding scooters...

KM
The X9 would commonly cruise on the hwy between 60/80 mph. I have had it up to 119 mph several times., The Vespa had a top speed of 80 mph, Took it to tecate mexico and back from L.A. I will still ride scoots and love em, These are fuel injected bikes and not your fathers scooter anymore. :rolleyes: dr

I got my FJR for two up . After using the VFR750 for a couple of years the FJ is the only logical step up.

Comfort for two ,Speed for one or two , shaft drive etcetc, We use a Scala Q2 comm set which is brilliant with the advantage its rider to rider up to 500 meters to.

I have a Yammy top box on all the time , I just take of the side boxes unless they are needed . The problems with the Topboxes wher related toearly models that issue has been factory rectified.

My only irk with the FriJ is the wind noise around the screen . I think I can fix it witha smaller screen . Watch this space.

uote]

KM
The X9 would commonly cruise on the hwy between 60/80 mph. I have had it up to 119 mph several times., The Vespa had a top speed of 80 mph, Took it to tecate mexico and back from L.A. I will still ride scoots and love em, These are fuel injected bikes and not your fathers scooter anymore. :rolleyes: dr
I'd say that's a big no. :unsure:

I have an 07 with Corbin seat and backrest, and pull a trailer other than that no farkles. This riding season the wife and I

have put just a little over 10k on the bike with no problem. Even a ten day trip to Wyoming for the BMW rally was enjoyable the whole way (about 2800 miles total). 13 states this summer, I hope to caver that many new states for the 09 riding season.

As counterpoint, I bought my '06 a year ago specifically for two-up touring. Didn't work out. My wife hates the FJR and won't ride on it. Luckily, I hadn't sold our Harley at the time and she likes riding on it, so I still have that one as well. I suspect in the coming year—if the economy improves (big if)—I'll sell them both and buy a proper touring bike. In the meantime, I use the FJR for solo long distance and the Harley for around town, short hops, and two-up riding. Best of both worlds, I guess, but I'd like to have only one bike that does everything well, if that animal exists. Good luck on your decision.
This is a first...

What didn't your wife like about riding on the back of an FJR?

What makes riding the Harley better for her?

This is a first...

What didn't your wife like about riding on the back of an FJR?

What makes riding the Harley better for her?

the heavy thumping between her legs :yahoo:

I'm sorry, but there is a big difference between a 450 lb scooter that can get up to 119 mph and a 600+ pound motorcycle that can get to 119mph in 5 seconds, Tiny tires and brakes notwithstanding, scooters are still scooters and not really performance machines. ...

I was asking if you had any experiance on a large motorcycle in the hopes you do not buy a FJR and kill yourself on it. This is not your fathers Sport/Touring bike........

KM