Newbie Technical Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfmn16

Reaction score
I'm doing a few small things to my 2005 FJR with ABS. I found the instructions on the internet, I just want to confirm what I've found because it sounds too easy. First, I want to bring the brake and clutch levers closer to the grips. According to the manual I just push them away from the grips and adjust the little wheel with the numbers on it. Is this correct? Second, I want to install Heli Risers. It looks like I just remove the stock risers, bolt on the Heli risers and then bolt the handle bars to those. Is that correct?

Thanks. If this works out, next I'll try to put gas in it! :lol:

I'm doing a few small things to my 2005 FJR with ABS. I found the instructions on the internet, I just want to confirm what I've found because it sounds too easy. First, I want to bring the brake and clutch levers closer to the grips. According to the manual I just push them away from the grips and adjust the little wheel with the numbers on it. Is this correct? Second, I want to install Heli Risers. It looks like I just remove the stock risers, bolt on the Heli risers and then bolt the handle bars to those. Is that correct?

Yup. It's just that easy...until you break something! :)

adjusting the levers is juts that: a simple adjustemnt.

Adding a set of Heli Risers is a great idea ... but is probably a bit more complex. Or at least, you need to be careful.

- careful not to scratch bike parts;

- careful not to break something while removing the stock triple crown that the Heli will replace.

I have not installed Heli bars ... but I believe removing the ignition switch from the stock part without breaking it is the tricky part.

- careful not to break something while removing the stock triple crown that the Heli will replace.

I have not installed Heli bars ... but I believe removing the ignition switch from the stock part without breaking it is the tricky part.
I don't this applys to Gen one. I looked at it and don't see where I would need to touch the ignition. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something.

I believe he said Heli risers, not triple clamp. Nothing to break loosening the handlebar bolts, but ya never know. No ignition to remove etc.
Good advice though, don't let the bars hit the tank etc. Keep the reservoirs upright, may need some help. You need longer bolts for the Heli mounting to the triple clamp, just sayin'. The stock bolts work fine mounting handlebars to Heli.

It is all that easy. You may need to find a small amount of slack in your fluid lines and electrical for the risers, I didn't have any problem on two Gen1s.

**EDIT**I reread your statement, you're going farther away, you're golden. ;) The adjustment closer to the grip also means you lost some amount of fluid that you had when the lever actuated more. Not a big deal but your front brake could be really close to the bar, and your clutch may be engage really close to the bar. It's all preference. Enjoy, good luck. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heli risers for the Gen I are plain ol' blocks, not the whole triple-tree top like for Gen-IIs. Very simple straightforward install, and they should come with the longer bolts mentioned, and 4 more of the caps for the bolt holes they leave visible.

The lever adjustment is a simple position change, and not a change in effect. If the clutch engages an inch from full release, it will still engage an inch from full release. You're just changing the starting point, maybe making the lever easier to reach for itty-bitty- fingers, or farther away for big hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kmart sells those old-fashioned woven-cloth rag rugs for roughly $6 each. $20 buys a lot of protection while you work.