Newest Member of Crash Club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well boys and girls thatk you for your support and king thoughts. they make things feel a litle bit better.

This thing so far (and well beyond I'm sure) has been no fun at all. the pain is ever-present in my hip and upper leg, my rigt wrist and recently around the toes of my left foot. Right now I have a left 'foot flop'. I can push down with my left toes but can't raise them up (like is needed when shifing a normal bike other than the Harley where you have to pretty much raise your whole leg up to engage the next gear. We're all hoping it's just localand tempoary nerve damage and will some back, I guesss time will tell as nerves repair from what I'm beginning to understand are the slowest healing things (other than the brain) in the body

I know its going to be a slow heal, the pain fom my hip/leg negat the ability for any type of restful sleep at nigh other than maybe a hour or two at a time, but guesss at the end of a 24 hour period it all works out to maybr 5 or 6 hours of sleep. They (the surgeon) is teling me it will be another 4 weeks probaby before I can put any more weight on it, right know it is '0' weight on the left leg - same for the wist. Consequently it is hard to judge progress akthough I know/can tell I am building muscles back stronger that have been weakened and arophied since the accident.

Some comments on some of the other thread responses - the ipod had bothing to do wih the accident. altough custom fitted earphones themselves block out all the ambient noise level, add the tunes to that and all your pretty much going to br hearing your tunes and little else. But again, would it of made a bit of difference in this situation. Now if I would have been on one (any) of the other bikes would it made a difference - I don't know but it might of. As was said on the Duc I porbably could of stopped short with room to spare. Also. the seat height on the Harley at around 26" put my hip right in line with the bumper level with the car I hit. All the other bikes have a what 32-34" seat height meaning (if this infact what happened) my upper leg would of impacted the bumper not my hip. Would that have been a better scenario or an insant leg amputation, who know? I do know the Harley is heavy, don't stop quickly, and doesn't respond to rider input quickly, so who knows.

with regard to surgurical/hospital infection ecpecially my surgeon couldn't have been happier. They worry about infection on any incision/wound never mind mine which starts aboud 5 inches to the right of my belly buton and moves around my waistline to the left to almost the middle of my back. There was no infection, thank God.

The recivery is going to be long - the're saying maybe 1 year to ge back to 100% or as close to it as I'm going to get, but we'll see. I'm thinking at this rate two more months I should be getting around effectively, with regard to everyday living, going to work etc, we'll see..

Thanks again people - and keep your eyes on the road. This could of so easily been avoided - never should of come close to happening.

Also. the seat height on the Harley at around 26" put my hip right in line with the bumper level with the car I hit. All the other bikes have a what 32-34" seat height meaning (if this infact what happened) my upper leg would of impacted the bumper not my hip. Would that have been a better scenario or an insant leg amputation, who know?
Wayne Boyer from Cycleport know. He told me, and others at WFO-6, that the most prominent impact/injury zone for MC crashes into cars is the upper leg/hip area. If you would have been wearing his latest incarnation of safety pants, complete with the upgraded impact-reacting CE pads, we would have a much better idea of how good gear can work in a crash.

He also told a story of an interesting coincidence(?) that happened to him on the way to Park City. He needed to get the oil changed in his semi tractor while his mom and he visited her sister in Idaho, so he started calling around, as Oil Changers doesn't do big rigs. Finding a place, he drove down there, and made contact with the man at the front desk. The guy asked him where he was headed, and Wayne told him "To an FJR rally in Park City". The guy said "I used to have an FJR, but I don't ride anymore, since I crashed". And with that, he stood up, to reveal that he was missing a leg. Wayne asked him what he was wearing at the time of the crash, and he replied "A pair of Levi's".

So Mike, feel fortunate that you still have all your parts, as painful as it may be for a long time to come....

Wayne is on a mission, not to make money, but to make a living, and provide those of us who share the passion for wind, the best protection that can be functionally worn while riding. I'm all in, and I admire the man's passion for safety gear. That's why I hop up on this soapbox every chance I get....

So Mike, feel fortunate that you still have all your parts, as painful as it may be for a long time to come....

I'll second that and wish you a very rapid recovery!

Wayne is on a mission, not to make money, but to make a living, and provide those of us who share the passion for wind, the best protection that can be functionally worn while riding. I'm all in, and I admire the man's passion for safety gear. That's why I hop up on this soapbox every chance I get....

I agree and that's why I bought in on his gear. It may just be psychological protection now but when I go down I'll know for sure.

No doubt that Cycleport makes great gear which minimizes a number of injuries. I prefer leather when it's not too hot, but intend to one day own some CP kevlar mesh. That said:

IMO, the trauma suffered from an impact like Mike described probably would not have been substantially reduced by anything you can wear. Gear protects from some types of impacts, and for that, I'll wear it. Those are mostly glancing blow type impacts, and even with the best designed helmets (which no suit armor measures up to), it doesn't take that much speed in a sudden direct hit impact to render their protection ineffective. So, I don't see how the hip injury Mike suffered from his sudden abrupt deceleration (hip into bumper) would have been significantly better with anything on the market short of an airbag designed to inflate completely and effectively between hip and bumper. (And NO, I"m not going to buy a Wing with an airbag.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MikeYork5' date='Dec 13 2007, I looked (something grabbed my attention) to the right.

York, was it Cheryl Roberts in a bikini. Sorry I couldn't help myself (private joke, we went

to high school together).

Mike, I'm glad you still with us. As others have said, it sounds like you were in the right place for

this to happen (if it had to happen). How many times have we all done something stupid a long

way from civilization, where this could have been deadly?

PM sent. When you feel up to it call me.

Mike P.

OUCH !!

Mike,

One hell of a crash story. Glad you had good surgeons who knew what they were doing.

Hang in there Man -- all will be good , just takes time.

Oh ----------- welcome to the "club" :unsure:

Mike-terrible news, and vivid decription of the events....chills.

Not sure how many here have had a "NDE", but in time, this event will change your outlook. I lost all 8 pints of blood in a fall that ruptured my spleen, and did not know it...near death experience...touch and go for 4 days.

This motivated me in many positive ways, including the FJR.

Heal well and quickly my friend.

Oh man, scary stuff. About as bad as it gets, but you survived thank god, and we are the better for it to learn from your experience. Thank you for sharing lessons learned, and I hope you get better soon.

I almost got creamed from behind the other night, saved only by luck, not skill. It was close enought that it depressed me and made me think I need to give up riding because it's hopeless.

I was on my Harley Sportster coming home last weekend evening. I stopped at a signal at the end of a dark, familiar, mile-long, two-lane neighborhood road, no cars anywhere in sight, in front or behind. I waited for the light to turn, spacing out and thinking about I don't know what. Then I hear behind me a noise that sounds like sliding on sand.

WTF? I look behind me and there's a car stopped about 6 inches from my rear fender, and turned kinda sideways! There had been no cars behind me earlier, and I never saw this car or its headlights. I was totally clueless about anything going on behind me, and if JakeLips behind me had had three instead of two beers, or whatever, I'da been on the ground or under cross traffic in the intersection.

I think you talked about paying attention. Yep. Amen to that.

And BTW, speaking of Harleys, I ride my Sporty around town and not on the freeways anymore (even though before the Feej I put 47K mostly commuting miles on it), but even around town I just don't feel that safe on it now that I've experience the Feejer performance in braking, swerving, and acceleration. I can't stop or swerve very well on the Harley, and it's got no acceleration, so I can't get out of the way of anything.

I think another element in the scenario is that the Sporty has only the license plate and tail light that light it from behind at night, so there is very little visual footprint. And I was wearing a black jacket having only fluorescent piping on it. Also, I was wearing my helmet that has no reflectivity. When I commute at night on my Feejer by comparison, at night from behind, I am lit up like f**kin' Grand Central Station. I've got the bags with their reflective material, the LED license plate, my Givi with brake light accessory and reflective tape, and I wear my Aerostitch with all its reflective sh*t and a helmet with reflective tape.

Nevertheless, I think I'll pay more attention to my rear.... :glare:

Anybody wanna buy a Sporty?????

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
well, it seems unanimous THAT SUCKS!!

this had gotten more riders than we will ever know: "I was in the middle lane probably 200 feet back from the light when for some unknown reason I looked (something grabbed my attention) to the right. Well when I looked back forward (my lane) the traffic in my (all?) lanes were dead stopped waiting for the light to change,

Heard about your crash, feel every pain of it...and its been over a year since riding my FJR. Hope you heal soon, maybe you can use my electric wheel chair, I think Barabus still has a photo of that for you. Take care and heal my friend.

WOW that was nasty but definitly could have been worse, your here to tell the tale..

Hope your recovery is quick..

From this I'll take 3 things.

1. Don't drowned out background noise with the IPod..

2. Don't get distracted from the job at hand.. Riding.

3. Owning a Harley is OK, just don't ride it

Smile, you'll be back in the saddle soon..