NGK-CR8EK plugs after 12,000 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used this site at times to order and found their pricing and delivery time quite good. I paid around $6.50 last time I ordered without leaving my house to do so.

I have used this site at times to order and found their pricing and delivery time quite good. I paid around $6.50 last time I ordered without leaving my house to do so.
Thanks for the info but:

I just checked the ngk.com site. They want $6.95 for the CR8EIX plugs, which isn't too bad but they want $12.00 to ship from Ca. to Or. This seem a little steep for four plugs. The shipping brings the cost up to $9.95 per plug. "Ouch" I think I will try local outlets and see what they come up with. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info but:

I just checked the ngk.com site. They want $6.95 for the CR8EIX plugs, which isn't too bad but they want $12.00 to ship from Ca. to Or. This seem a little steep for four plugs. The shipping brings the cost up to $9.95 per plug. "Ouch" I think I will try local outlets and see what they come up with. Thanks anyway.
CR8EIX $6.94 ea plus $1.23 ea shipping:

Linky

Edit: Sorry, this link doesn't open complete page. Go to atlantacycle.com., search by manufacturer, NGK

Thanks for the insite on this issue. I always learn so much from your posts.

Your not available in Bound Volume or CD are you? :good:

:grin:

Thanks for the info but:

Linky

Edit: Sorry, this link doesn't open complete page. Go to atlantacycle.com., search by manufacturer, NGK
Thanks, I went there, found them, got them ordered. That's a little better.

jestal, have you found ngk.com to be a good place to order plugs or at least as good as anywhere else?

I have ordered from them several times in the past to get plugs that were hard to find otherwise. Their shipping costs seem high compared to what I remembered in the past but I ordered more than 4 plugs at a time previously..... They do have most any and every NGK plug if you strike out elsewhere.

Thanks for the info but:

Linky

Thanks, I went there, found them, got them ordered. That's a little better.
I ended up canceling the order from Atlantacycle. I was ordering a few things from University Motors and found they had the NGK CR8EIX (iridium) plugs for $6.24ea and had them throw four in with my order. The shipping cost was swallowed up with the order. $24.96 for four. Not too bad.

I just scored 10 CR8EK's on e-bay shipped to my house for $24.01!!! Thanks for bringing up the topic JeffAshe.
I did better...10 CR8EK plugs on ebay....$18.00 shipped to my house....

If you go with Iridiums, the factory gap should work on your bike. The electrodes on the iridium can easily snap if mishandled

If you have to re-gap them, do it with a tool that only pulls back on the ground electrode and doesn't touch the center electrode or the porcelain.

Others who have used them in the FJR (I haven't) can confirm if the factory gap works.

If you go with Iridiums, the factory gap should work on your bike. The electrodes on the iridium can easily snap if mishandledIf you have to re-gap them, do it with a tool that only pulls back on the ground electrode and doesn't touch the center electrode or the porcelain.

Others who have used them in the FJR (I haven't) can confirm if the factory gap works.
Factory gap works. Do not try to gap the Iridium plugs. They are very fragile.

I went down to the local Auto Zone here in Tucson to see if I could get the NGK 'CR8EIX' plug. They did not have the NGK plugs but their list matched the plug to a Bosch 4303 dual platinum tip .. anybody else run into this? I'm not buyng the Bosch till I know for sure ... the Bosch plugs were $4.99 each!

Jeff,

So far, after getting a couple hundred miles, these plugs feel more powerful/more reactive/less pinging. Like you said, it is hard to put your finger on the results. The bikes seems to idle faster and perhaps run just a tad hotter?

I am looking forward to test them for MPG on a longer trip for comparison...then I will let you know.

Sonny, would love to tell you something about the Bosch plugs....but I cant. It has been written and experienced that NGK is the way to go & stay...my recommendation.

Glad to hear it 03.

Thought for sure the new post was going to be somebody else/again blasting my lack of engineering expertise.

:)

Makes me feel better to see somebody benefit from my "redneck engineering".

+1 on the Bosch, or should I say -1? They ain't NGKs!