No Mar changer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRed7

Reaction score
Getting close to ordering a jr pro but would like a bit of feedback. Haven't really seen many posts here about changers but after wrestling with a pair of homemade nylon spoons (that actually worked pretty well) it's time for a bit less cursing. Between an avg of 4 rims a year for my/son's bikes and a couple of friends that i'd do a year it makes sense. Just really haven't seen anyone bragging them up..

Cheers

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting close to ordering a jr pro but would like a bit of feedback. Haven't really seen many posts here about changers but after wrestling with a pair of homemade nylon spoons (that actually worked pretty well) it's time for a bit less cursing. Between an avg of 4 rims a year for my/son's bikes and a couple of friends that i'd do a year it makes sense. Just really haven't seen anyone bragging them up..
Cheers

Don
Have you checked out the cycly hill tire changers? If I purchase one that is most likely what I will buy. JMO

Dave

I looked at the No Mar changers last year but after reading a review of the Cycle Hill tire changer on Web Bike World, (Clicky) I ended up buying that one and have been very happy with my choice.

A good friend of mine bought one of their changers a few years ago; it was a display special - they had used it for their traveling show demo model. I think he paid around $600 for it. I used it for the 2 years he had it while I lived in SC. Great piece of equipment.

Now that I'm feeling the pitch of what stealerships charge for tire changes here in Michigan, I'm looking at the Cyclehill changer. Very similar in design and function; made by NoMar, but marketed more towards to DIY home garage; I'd say the NoMar machine is a more industrial / shop / high volume target marketed item.

Wayne

There are a few to choose from.... Harbor Freight if you want cheap but have to fix it up a bit to prevent damage to your wheels. It's OK for low volume. Cycle Hill is heavier duty but I didn't like that you have to adjust 3 wheel holders instead of just one.

Take a look at the Tire Stripper https://www.tirestripper.com/Motorcycle.html and watch the video. Cool.

Depending on what you get (Harbor Freight or Cycle Hill), you will want a better demount/mount bar, and this one is great https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/ (and in my opinion, better than the Mojo lever).

Buy the cheaper Harbor Freight balancer, it works just fine. No sense spending a lot of money elsewhere.

Yikes, look at them prices!

We have the harbor freight portable changer and motorcycle tire adapter. Been using them for a while, and it works. But what really made the tires easy to change was the MojoLever and MojoBlocks.. Total price is about $300 give or take a little - MUCH less than $900 NoMar changer, a little less than the Cycle Hill changer.

I don't know what the tip of the tire bar the Cycle Hill is made from .. but the MojoLever plastic thingy-tip made tirechanging nearly a one-arm affair. The stand just holds the wheel - it's the bar that does all the work.

Paging AuburnFJR to the tire changer phone.

He was one that we try to ruin on Tech days but it just keeps working.

He also has a bunch of dirt bike, so he get's his money worth out of the changer.

I have the No Mar jr pro. works great. I have changed about 40 sets of tires with it now. Definitely pays for itself. I did get the blocks for the dirt bike tires. Sure makes them a lot easier to do.

I would buy it a again if I were looking again.

Definetly watch their dvd on how to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add, I had the Harbor Freight with modifications and the Mojo blocks. It was fine for personal work and maybe a friend's or two.
I just found this review, which I can agree with.... https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494399
Nice review. It looks like the Tire Stripper is a really nice product. Unfortunately, when you go to the site that you linked to in an earlier post it says "We have sold out our current stock of Tire Changers & Wheel Balancer and we don't have plans to make any more at this time. "

Bummer.

I've got the Jr. Pro. Works great once you get the hang of it. Definetely watch their videos if you go this route.

The Cycle Hill came out after I bought mine, or I probably would have gone that route just based on price. One thing the Cycle Hill version has that I like is the support bracket to the floor. I have the Hitch Mount version of the NoMar, which I bought for the portability and not having to dedicate a place in the garage to mount it to the floor. The Jr Pro with the Hitch Mount doesn't have any support to the ground, and you get some movement when performing the tire change. I would imagine the Cycle Hill with the support piece down to the floor would reduce some of the movement.

Either way you can't go wrong. It pays for itself quickly, especially if you have more than one bike.

I have had the No Mar for a couple years now I bought mine used from a buddy who went to air powered. I have both the floor mount for in the garage and the hitch mount for portability. The first couple tires are tough to get used to things but after that they fly on. As others have mentions watch the video it is a big help.

I know there are cheaper alternatives but you usually get what you pay for and this NoMar is nicely constructed and they have excellent customer service.

I bought a No-Mar Professional Model for the student Formula Car lab maybe 4 years ago. It works great for motorcycle wheels. I would buy it again.

Now that I'm feeling the pitch of what stealerships charge for tire changes here in Michigan, I'm looking at the Cyclehill changer. Very similar in design and function; made by NoMar, but marketed more towards to DIY home garage
Do you have any time to contact them? I'd say we're about due for a Cycle Hill group buy.

I bought a No-Mar Professional Model for the student Formula Car lab maybe 4 years ago. It works great for motorcycle wheels. I would buy it again.
I bought a NoMar Pro model also and its been bolted to my garage floor for several years. Between the FJR, 3 XR650Rs, my son, and friends its seen quite a few tire changes. Used it when OCFJR tried his first darkside experiment. Works great for bikes and I'd certainly consider it again if I had to do it over.

Cheers

Don
I bought the Jr pro last year and between my son and other relatives and friends it has seen a bunch of use. It is a little pricey but is worth it IMO. The flexabillty of being able to mount fresh rubber for a trip and then going back to use up the old tires has saved me some dough also. It's not quite as easy as they show on the web site with the lady changing the tire but certainly not hard. My son and I have it down about 15 minutes from off/to back on the bike. The biggest PIA is the balancing process. I bought the balancer from NO-Mar also. Some tires go real quick and others not so much.

No-Mar and CycleHill are the same company. I have the Cycle Hill tire changer and it work great for low volume tire changing. The mount/demount bar is the same one that comes with the more expensive No-Mar changer and it really work good. I have changed several rear tires on a Gold Wing (if a tire changer passes the Gold Wing test it will change any tire) with no problems. I mounted the CycleHill on a 4x4 foot plywood (used a 4x8 x 1/2 inch cut n half and nailed together). The tire changer is bolted to the plywood. When I not using the changer I remove it from the plywood for storage.

The slippery/snot like stuff that No-Mar/CycleHill sells is the best. You can apply it to the tire and it will remain slipery for at least 3 hours+. It is vegtable based and cleans off easily.

Now that I'm feeling the pitch of what stealerships charge for tire changes here in Michigan, I'm looking at the Cyclehill changer. Very similar in design and function; made by NoMar, but marketed more towards to DIY home garage
Do you have any time to contact them? I'd say we're about due for a Cycle Hill group buy.
+1 I might be persuaded to join a group buy.

Hmmm...Their facility is not far from where my mom lives...she's retired now...should I send her in to negotiate just to give her something to do?