No Trunk case with side bags at same time?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeldeal72

Reaction score
Just a newbie here and only owned my first FJR ('08) now for about 36 hours but I was reading the mini-manual that came in the side cases and it says not to use a trunk case when the side cases are installed. Is this for real? What is the purpose of buying a trunk if not to hold the stuff that won't fit in the side cases on a long trip?

Has anyone had any trouble when running with all 3 cases attached and loaded? Is this just a lawyer clause type thing?

Also seen some stuff about a 3rd lock that is supposed to come with the bike new incase you buy a trunk. Is that true? I only the the two locks that the dealer installed.

Thanks for any help and replies.

Oh- sorry if this has been asked before, I searched all over the board and couldn't find anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lawyerese. No worries, though some have reported high speed instability - a slight wobbling - but other than that...

As for the locks, all years previous have had a third lock (keyed alike) shipped loose.

Run all 3. The bike gets a little skittish at freeway speeds with all 3, but nothing to be concerned about. I'be held 135 constant on a cloased corse :p with all 3 bags on and loaded

Lawyer talk.

Yes, there is suppose to be a third lock that is key the same as your bike. Should be with your your bike. Make sure you have it. Works with Yamaha trunk or some of the after market helmet locks.

You'll find a lot of discussion about the trunk and the Yamaha trunk vs Givi in this forum. I have ridden with bags full, trunk full, tank bag full, and a bunch of stuff tied onto the back seat. No problem.

You'll likely find that the mechanic who installed your bag locks has your third lock in the top of his toolbox.

Be warned! Riding at high speeds with all three bags often results in a turbulent blue light behind you.

:)

Thanks for the great feedback everyone (JeffAshe, frayne, Geezer, Niehart, silent, and twowheelnut). Sounds like I'll be fine loading up afterall. Now I've just got to start my shopping for a trunk, bar risers, more comfortable seat, taller windscreen, GPS mount.... :D :D

Day 3 of owning bike and loving it!