Non AE owners past and present

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its odd to ask non ae owners if they would by an ae next time. If they decided against it to begin with, why would they change there minds? For those who own non AE and have had the chance to ride AE, they are not going to like it. It takes a while to get used to and unless you own one or at least ride one often, its very foregn and for the most part leaves a bad taste. As an AE owner who has owned bikes for 30 years I regreted the AE decision for about 300 miles. By 1000 miles I am a true convert. I have almost 5k on it now and it just keeps getting better. I still own my 93 intruder 1300 and bounce back and forth between the 2. I love them both but would def buy the FJR with auto clutch again. I have an 06 and have considered trading it in for an 08. I know everyone is fawning over the 08 black but I think the 08AE gray blows away the black.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its odd to ask non ae owners if they would by an ae next time. If they decided against it to begin with, why would they change there minds? For those who own non AE and have had the chance to ride AE, they are not going to like it. It takes a while to get used to and unless you own one or at least ride one often, its very foregn and for the most part leaves a bad taste. As an AE owner who has owned bikes for 30 years I regreted the AE decision for about 300 miles. By 1000 miles I am a true convert. I have almost 5k on it now and it just keeps getting better. I still own my 93 intruder 1300 and bounce back and forth between the 2. I love them both but would def buy the FJR with auto clutch again. I have an 06 and have considered trading it in for an 08. I know everyone is fawning over the 08 black but I think the 08AE gray blows away the black.
Well, see... everyone in the world is a non AE owner, except the AE owners that is.

So I guess you're saying the only people we should ask about buying a new one would be the people that already own one?

To me, that is odd.

It's like I read in a magazine once, "I've spent 30 years developing my clutch hand, and something that does it for me would have to be better, this ain't" I use the clutch alot, if you know what I mean! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I will definetly be buying another ST machine with a clutch, may not be a Yamaha but it will have a clutch. My Honda Accord is a manual shift & I feel in better control, especially in snowy weather. Like today, yuk!!!

Wow...I think you hit a nerve there. :huh: To answer your question, Unless something happens to me that affects my ability to shift I will stay with the clutch. I see no reason to add the weight and cost of the AE unless I have to. I think the original "would you buy another AE" question was valid since it answered a question for me. If everyone that owns one was lookig for a way to get out of it or hated it, I would really take that to heart. The fact that that post is filled with people who love their bikes and will continue to buy them speaks volumes for Yamaha's success in the risk they took. I know that in about 1986 +/- Honda sold an "automatic" bike but for some reason if failed.

Maybe the question we are kind of skirting around is: When it comes time to buy another ST, will you buy another FJR? I think this Forum is filled with people who would respond with a resounding "Hell Yes!!" and I fit in that group. If I had the money (and the time :( ), I would have 10 bikes in my garage, but for now, the FJR-A fills my needs. Until someone, even Yamaha builds something that fills them better, I will continue to buy the FJR.

not having a true manual backup clinched the non-AE decision for me. Even when you go to "manual" on the AE the shift pedal is still an electric switch.

I got started into riding thanks to the FJR's great grandson the XJ-650 Turbo. I got it as a basket case 3 years ago and started working on it-sold it off after running dry on parts and moving to where I had no garage to work. My next project and first actual ride was a 92 Ninja that I got from a guy's backyard. After that was a pair of the FJR's predecessors, the FJ 1200 in both 87 and 92 year flavors. Intended to combine the two into one running and reliable sport tourer, until I realized I was spending full weekends and lots of money trying to build a FJR!

I plan on owning my FJR until it too is a "classic" and over 25 years old. I know rare model parts are very hard to find and extraordinarily expensive. I know electric switches (signals, relays, ignition and now shift lever) deteriorate over time and exposure to elements while riding. Even with the best maintenance, they're going to fail, and fail badly, usually when you least expect or want them to.

Nothing beats having Mankind's oldest and best understood "machine" (the lever and pivot) controlling your bike. Hydraulic, being second oldest, was a bit scary but still proven (those old XJ's brake systems were often still functional after decades of outright *abuse*) Plus, one less thing to go wrong. There wasn't an option to not get ABS on the 07 but reports of braking still being usable in the event of electrical failure eased my concerns.

Plus reviews from experienced riders on MCN and other sites talking of "lurching" at takeoffs using the AE and the clutch automatically disengaging during low speed parking lot maneuvers-the sort of riding that I have the hardest time with already. Experienced riders having the clutch drop out then reengage while working tight U turns caused experts to drop the bike. I don't need any help with that, as mine has already gone over three times in parking lot situations. :(

electronically controlled CVTs are maturing slowly, and able to handle more power as development continues-but if you thought you had weight and driveline power loss issues with your FJR *now*...

But, if I were in a situation where I couldn't shift because of handicap, I'd be all over this..or had a sidecar rig, or a FJR trike...

not having a true manual backup clinched the non-AE decision for me. Even when you go to "manual" on the AE the shift pedal is still an electric switch.

As much as I like my AE I do wish the shift pedal was a manual backup. If I ever do get stuck because of AE breakdown I could develope a quick change of heart.

Well, see... everyone in the world is a non AE owner, except the AE owners that is.

So I guess you're saying the only people we should ask about buying a new one would be the people that already own one?

To me, that is odd.

I was just trying to point out that the current AE owners were willing to take a leap of faith when buying the AE. So asking an AE owner if they would buy again actually says somthing about the bike. The folks that decided against AE to begin still dont really have anything to go by when asked if they would buy any AE next time around. I just don't get what they would base there decision on to AE next time around. Perhaps waiting it out a few years to see some reliability would be a factor to change some over. Either way, the FJR is a great choice.

As a pro computer geek, I thought it was "neat nifty keen" but I took one look at the chapter in the service manual and decided it wasn't for me.

One of the reasons I'm riding a bike is that the ABS on my Camaro tried to kill me, and NOBODY could fix it until the brakes locked and put me into a guardrail. My bikes I can keep in-repair and fix myself. I'm doing the 50K mile valve check, brake fluid change, coolant change, new chain/sprockets, etc on my SV-650 right now.

I'm not real happy about the ABS and FI on the new bikes. The FI isn't well sorted on ANY bike I've ridden, but this is partially an EPA problem. My carbureted SV-650 drives 10x better than the fuel-injected ones.

I look at the ABS system and shudder to think if it ever has any issues, or if I **** up a fluid change and let it go dry, or if I ever need to rebuild a caliper. I'd much druther have an FJR w/o ABS.

And the reasons I decided against a Concours or a BMW is the variable valve timing and Car-Area-Network (CAN) and other crap they hang on them.

As a pro computer geek, I thought it was "neat nifty keen" but I took one look at the chapter in the service manual and decided it wasn't for me.
One of the reasons I'm riding a bike is that the ABS on my Camaro tried to kill me, and NOBODY could fix it until the brakes locked and put me into a guardrail. My bikes I can keep in-repair and fix myself. I'm doing the 50K mile valve check, brake fluid change, coolant change, new chain/sprockets, etc on my SV-650 right now.

I'm not real happy about the ABS and FI on the new bikes. The FI isn't well sorted on ANY bike I've ridden, but this is partially an EPA problem. My carbureted SV-650 drives 10x better than the fuel-injected ones.

I look at the ABS system and shudder to think if it ever has any issues, or if I **** up a fluid change and let it go dry, or if I ever need to rebuild a caliper. I'd much druther have an FJR w/o ABS.
Wanna trade? ('04 w/o ABS) ;)

Not my cup. Then again, I'd never own a car with an automatic transmission either.

One of the reasons I'm riding a bike is that the ABS on my Camaro tried to kill me, and NOBODY could fix it until the brakes locked and put me into a guardrail.
GM cars have, bar none, the shittiest ABS systems on the planet.

[quote name='Fred W' post='377287' date='Wednesday, 27 February 2008'

To me, that is odd.

Would it not follow to reason that they are the most informed people regarding the AE?? Hence the most reliable ones to ask for an honest opinion of the long term satisfaction?? <_<

Asking someone who has already made a decision not to if they would seems redundant. They have made their decision. Unless they own a GEN I their decision is obvious. And very likely the right one for them

The problem with saying "I test rode one and decided against it" is that it takes time to get in sync with the bike. I agree it is not for everyone, it is not even for most people. But the ones that have spent some time with it know it better. I wondered if I had made the right decision for almost the first 750 miles and hitting the horn 100 times downshifting :dribble:

Now, for perspective.. There was a time when there were no automatic transmissions in cars. Not many remember it.

Now almost all cars have them at least available. Far far more than half of them are sold that way. There were folks then doing the......

"I aint gonner git me one of them thar auto shift thingiemebobers, so sirreee, cuz that aint right. Too much stuff in there to break and that thar.... it just aint right"

Now to back up, Most high performance cars are manuals............ Up to the very top, until you get back to the very exclusive Ferrari, Lambo, and (insert your favorite uber car here) world... Back to paddle shifters on what... Yep, you guessed it... The steering wheel. Now those are NOT automatics, They have a computer controlled clutch........... Porsche has them too, even my wifes Mazda CX7 has a semblance of it.

Lessee

Computer controlled clutch with a steering wheel paddle shifter

Ferrari AE?? LMAO :yahoo:

Or a FJR A E-nzo :lol: :lol:

Sure will be glad when the snow thaws so we can actually use a clutch instead instead of participating in a silly thread like this.

Dog pile begins here. :D

Sure will be glad when the snow thaws so we can actually use a clutch instead instead of participating in a silly thread like this. Dog pile begins here. :D
Hell, why don't ya'll just come on down to Louisiana 'til the snow melts? I'll show you both of the good roads where you can use clutch levers or push/pull buttons.

Would it not follow to reason that they are the most informed people regarding the AE?? Hence the most reliable ones to ask for an honest opinion of the long term satisfaction?? <_<
Yes. They are the ones that can speak to their level of satisfaction with the feature's performance. But they aren't the only ones to ask about the value of the feature. That requires a wider canvass.

Asking someone who has already made a decision not to if they would seems redundant. They have made their decision. Unless they own a GEN I their decision is obvious. And very likely the right one for them
Quite right. Therefore someone that has already made the decision to buy an AE would have the exact same bias. ;)

Now, for perspective.. There was a time when there were no automatic transmissions in cars. Not many remember it.
NOT true!! I still remember the story of when my grandfather bought his first car with an auto-tranny. He bought it to impress my grandmother (to be) and was driving across a couple states to visit her. He remembers thinking "oh, this was a waste of money... I don't like this. It sucks. I should take it back." when he pulled away from a stoplight, then glanced in the rearview mirror to see all the other cars still way back at the light, clutching and shifting. That's when he started to change his mind about it.

Anyway, it does seem Yamaha has done a good job with a new technology from looking at the AE owner's postings. I'm just wary of the complexity and newness, and I see examples like BMW where they totally fumble new technology. It's the old software developer's maxim: "version 1.0 never works"

It's funny. I'd skip the AE transmission, but I still want a GTS1000 forkless front end... go figger....