November MotorCyclist has sport/touring camparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I have a perfect solution for you. Get an FJR and keep the ST!! :yahoo:

I can't my wife is already on my butt for too many bikes in the garage, I don't see it?? but she thinks she's got a point ,personally I think she's a little delusional, (oh and yes,, I know it's a repost) and in my defense, the little ninja on the end is not ours. it lives here, but it's our apartment dwelling friends

11111.jpg

Bike washing day must be a real bitch at your house. :rolleyes: Lucky dog. :dribble:

That was the occasion on the day of this pic , my wife came home and said, "How embarrassing!" I cant believe you lined up the bikes for a picture, what if our neighbors saw that, what would they think? I'm so embarrassed! You see I told you she was a little off. I told her the neighbors wive's would think, man that guys obsessive, and the husband would think, LUCKY BASTARD!!!! it was soon after that my next door neighbor came over with a ST and a FRJ brochure and asked which bike would I recommend for him? I told him for you, and the type of riding he will do, I recommended the FJR, he now has the new 06 FJR in the garage, the one I get to ride, and his wife was so pissed at me, I arranged the deal for him, she didn't talk to me for months, just gave me dirty looks, and when she did finally say some thing it was, it's your fault, I told her the only thing I am responsible for is saving him a couple of grand by making the deal for him!!

Bike washing day must be a real bitch at your house. :rolleyes: Lucky dog. :dribble:

That was the occasion on the day of this pic , my wife came home and said, "How embarrassing!" I cant believe you lined up the bikes for a picture, what if our neighbors saw that, what would they think? I'm so embarrassed! You see I told you she was a little off. I told her the neighbors wive's would think, man that guys obsessive, and the husband would think, LUCKY BASTARD!!!!
Embarrassing? You're kidding. Who would be embarrased?

it was soon after that my next door neighbor came over with a ST and a FRJ brochure and asked which bike would I recommend for him? I told him for you, and the type of riding he will do, I recommended the FJR, he now has the new 06 FJR in the garage, the one I get to ride, and his wife was so pissed at me, I arranged the deal for him, she didn't talk to me for months, just gave me dirty looks, and when she did finally say some thing it was, it's your fault, I told her the only thing I am responsible for is saving him a couple of grand by making the deal for him!!
I guess she doesn't like to ride on the back then? A couple of fun times on the bike and the whole tune seems to change for these wives...

That was the occasion on the day of this pic , my wife came home and said, "How embarrassing!" I cant believe you lined up the bikes for a picture, what if our neighbors saw that, what would they think? I'm so embarrassed! You see I told you she was a little off. I told her the neighbors wive's would think, man that guys obsessive, and the husband would think, LUCKY BASTARD!!!!

it was soon after that my next door neighbor came over with a ST and a FRJ brochure and asked which bike would I recommend for him? I told him for you, and the type of riding he will do, I recommended the FJR, he now has the new 06 FJR in the garage, the one I get to ride, and his wife was so pissed at me, I arranged the deal for him, she didn't talk to me for months, just gave me dirty looks, and when she did finally say some thing it was, it's your fault, I told her the only thing I am responsible for is saving him a couple of grand by making the deal for him!!
I guess she doesn't like to ride on the back then? A couple of fun times on the bike and the whole tune seems to change for these wives...
He's had the bike for a 6 or 8 months now? she's never been on it, she says they have kids, it would be stupid for both of them to ride on it, what if they both get killed, what about the kids, my thought then is, why do you both take the same car when you go out, or why don't you take separate planes when you travel ??

He's had the bike for a 6 or 8 months now? she's never been on it, she says they have kids, it would be stupid for both of them to ride on it, what if they both get killed, what about the kids, my thought then is, why do you both take the same car when you go out, or why don't you take separate planes when you travel ??
Exactly. But this is why a lot of guys end up giving up riding from the time they have kids until, say... they finish school. Not that I know anything about that... :unsure:

I don't mean to hijack your hijack, but can anyone tell me why the coolant overflow tank is on the right side of the bike in the picture of the naked FJR on page 90 of the Motorcyclist article? At first I thought they had printed a mirror image, but once I looked closer the engine cases appear to be correct, and the rear brake fluid reservoir is there, so it it looks to be the right side. Both of our FJR's have this bottle on the left side.

John

That was the occasion on the day of this pic , my wife came home and said, "How embarrassing!" I cant believe you lined up the bikes for a picture, what if our neighbors saw that, what would they think? I'm so embarrassed! You see I told you she was a little off. I told her the neighbors wive's would think, man that guys obsessive, and the husband would think, LUCKY BASTARD!!!! it was soon after that my next door neighbor came over with a ST and a FRJ brochure and asked which bike would I recommend for him? I told him for you, and the type of riding he will do, I recommended the FJR, he now has the new 06 FJR in the garage, the one I get to ride, and his wife was so pissed at me, I arranged the deal for him, she didn't talk to me for months, just gave me dirty looks, and when she did finally say some thing it was, it's your fault, I told her the only thing I am responsible for is saving him a couple of grand by making the deal for him!!

HAHAHA Love the story.

If it would have been me, I'd make sure I wore the most worn out pair of shorts I had and make sure my ass was hanging out real good. You have to make sure your wife see this when she arrives home so she can really appreciate the effort you made. :yahoo:

I don't mean to hijack your hijack, but can anyone tell me why the coolant overflow tank is on the right side of the bike in the picture of the naked FJR on page 90 of the Motorcyclist article? At first I thought they had printed a mirror image, but once I looked closer the engine cases appear to be correct, and the rear brake fluid reservoir is there, so it it looks to be the right side. Both of our FJR's have this bottle on the left side.
John
On my '03, the radiator cap is on the left side but the coolant overflow tank is on the right. Don't know what happened to yours. ;)

John
On my '03, the radiator cap is on the left side but the coolant overflow tank is on the right. Don't know what happened to yours. ;)
Maybe the article is showing a picture of the Gen I naked bike. Mine is an 07, both my radiator cap and overflow bottle are on the left side.

John

Maybe the article is showing a picture of the Gen I naked bike.
That's how my '05 is configured. Overflow tank is behind, and just below, the battery. I can check the coolant level by shining a flashlight through the Rt. side vent.

After reading this entire Concours bashing thread I think Dangerous Dave nailed it.

The Fudjer AND the ConJob are both great bikes. It just depends on what you want.

I generally do several 5000 to 7000 mile road trip annually. I generally carry eerything but the kitchen sink and even then....

The one thing I noticed about the ConJob was th sheer volume of the hard bags. They are much bigger. I have done a side by side comparo fo these bikes and personally for me that is a huge issue. I NEED SPACE!!!

The Fudger has good space. The ConJob has more. In my book ...for 7000 mile trips....more is better.

But I realize that isn't the only issue. There are others and I'll be reading around here trying to figure it all out until I actually pull the trigger on one or the other...probably in the next 2 or 3 months.

Thanks for all of the good info.

Cg

PS: Someone said something about the dyno or track times on this article being off. I dunno about the track but I've seen a run on a stock Conjob last week at a dealership that uses a Dynjet 250. That stock Concours made 139+. I saw another that only made 131 but on a differetn dyno at a different shop. Dyno numbers are all relative and suject to operator and conditions. I would guess quarter mile times to be a better indicator of "juice".

WHoever it was that said "I smell a rat...with a check from Kawasaki" regarding the ET on the 1/4 mile times....dude....what are you smoking? NO MAGAZINE is damn fool enough to risk their reputation for a measly bribe. They WOULD get caught and it WOULD ruin them eternally. If you believe that MC did this...then you probably believe in UFO's and the Grassy Knoll theory. :rofl:

I tmakes a helluva lot more sense that the dyno runs were off. But whatever...

After reading this entire Concours bashing thread I think Dangerous Dave nailed it.
The Fudjer AND the ConJob are both great bikes. It just depends on what you want.

I generally do several 5000 to 7000 mile road trip annually. I generally carry eerything but the kitchen sink and even then....

The one thing I noticed about the ConJob was th sheer volume of the hard bags. They are much bigger. I have done a side by side comparo fo these bikes and personally for me that is a huge issue. I NEED SPACE!!!

The Fudger has good space. The ConJob has more. In my book ...for 7000 mile trips....more is better.

But I realize that isn't the only issue. There are others and I'll be reading around here trying to figure it all out until I actually pull the trigger on one or the other...probably in the next 2 or 3 months.

Thanks for all of the good info.

Cg

PS: Someone said something about the dyno or track times on this article being off. I dunno about the track but I've seen a run on a stock Conjob last week at a dealership that uses a Dynjet 250. That stock Concours made 139+. I saw another that only made 131 but on a differetn dyno at a different shop. Dyno numbers are all relative and suject to operator and conditions. I would guess quarter mile times to be a better indicator of "juice".

WHoever it was that said "I smell a rat...with a check from Kawasaki" regarding the ET on the 1/4 mile times....dude....what are you smoking? NO MAGAZINE is damn fool enough to risk their reputation for a measly bribe. They WOULD get caught and it WOULD ruin them eternally. If you believe that MC did this...then you probably believe in UFO's and the Grassy Knoll theory. :rofl:

I tmakes a helluva lot more sense that the dyno runs were off. But whatever...

Oh and by the way.. I owe you all an apology on this forum because I am also a C14 forum member and C14 owner. I have been just jerking all your chains and I shouldn't have and am truly sorry.
Cody,

I accept your apology

Oh and by the way.. I owe you all an apology on this forum because I am also a C14 forum member and C14 owner. I have been just jerking all your chains and I shouldn't have and am truly sorry.
Cody,

I accept your apology
I don't.

What a choad.

Reaching for ban button.................... :angry:

You really think so?? I can't say we actually tried to pack them full of stuff, but when my buddy and I were comparing my luggage to his, we both thought the FJRs bags were a little bigger. Hmmm, I'll bet both manufacturers give a volume spec somewhere on their website for the luggage. Now let's see if I can find it before somebody else that already knows that answer chimes in.

You really think so?? I can't say we actually tried to pack them full of stuff, but when my buddy and I were comparing my luggage to his, we both thought the FJRs bags were a little bigger. Hmmm, I'll bet both manufacturers give a volume spec somewhere on their website for the luggage. Now let's see if I can find it before somebody else that already knows that answer chimes in.
Hey Dave,

Don't bother.... Cody is a C14 guy posing to advertise his bike here.

WW

I had the pleasure of talking to a fellow who had his 05 FJR stolen & replaced it with a new Connie.

He liked his FJR better.

Says both bikes are equal in power, the Connie he finds is louder, warmer and not as comfortable as the FJR. He finds the 6th gear a pain, as almost all passes require a downshift.

I found his comments pretty fair, and he was not playing brand favorite.

I will have to ride one.

Last edited by a moderator: