novice track day on a 06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFJR1300

Reaction score
I finally got the time and money to try a track day. Sports Bike Track Time held a novice (first time on a track) day at the Mid-Ohio track this past Wed. I signed up with 2 of my riding buddies (who are far better riders than me) . We trailered the bikes to the track and went thru the tech inspection. Not a big deal, just tape up all lights and mirrors, paying the most attention to making sure no brake lights show thru the tape. We were split into 2 large groups, those that thought of themselves as "advanced" and those that did not. I was wearing my Aerostich one piece suit and even though I was standing in the "not advanced " side of the room and my buddies were on the "advanced" side, the instructor said to me "how long have you had that suit?" I said "five years" and he replied " anyone that has an Aeronstich suit for 5 years should be in the "advanced group." so I moved over to that group. They ended up splitting each group into smaller 3, 4 or 5 rider groups, each having our own instructor, so it ended up being me and my 2 buddies with our own instructor. I was thinking that I'm going to get killed trying to keep up with these guys or at best, not learn much. As it turned out, we would sit in a classroom for 15-20 minutes and then ride on the track for 20- 25 minutes, then we could take a rest break while the non Advanced group was on the track , then we would repeat the rotation. This went on all day, from 8AM until 5PM , I logged 108 miles on the track :yahoo: . The instructor was great :clapping: and started us off slowly, leading us around the track so we could learn the lines. Then we progressed to learning how to shift our body weight and lean the bike, then how to upshift without using the clutch, and proper entry and exit of the turns. To make a long story short...... the last 2 times we were on the track, we were able to go at our own pace with passing being restricted to 6 foot distance and on the outside only. I ended up taking the lead ahead of my buddies both times, thinking that any minute they would come flying past me :unsure: but the FJR proved to be a good ride and I must have learned a few things as my buddies were not able to keep up with me or pass me. I ended up passing several "real" sports bikes and I know I was hitting over 110 MPH in the short straight a ways, and taking the turns at over 60 MPH scraping pegs and sparks flying all the way. I has a blast B) ! The instructor told us that we were kicking some serious butt and he had told some of the other instructors about the FJR and 2 Suzuki Bandits that were setting quite a good pace. At any rate, I sure feel more confident in the turns now and my buddies were surprised that I was actually able to keep them at bay :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on YA! Being the proud owner of both an FJR and Bandit1200, I love stories like this. Although..if I could ride against myself on the track with both bikes..I think the Bandit would be in front.

Sweet story! That must have felt awesome! Now ride carefully after that big ego boost ;)

Way to show those guys what the FJR is capable of. Kinda like RocknFJR passing an R1 on his first track day!

Will the FJR pass the SV650 as being known as the ultimate track bike :lol:

Good Job!!

I am planning a track day this coming spring and think it would be a blast! I dont think there is any more sessions at Hallet this year.

Great report Rick!

All that money I have spent on farkles, and I have yet to spend any on any kind of advanced rider training or track days. Gotta change that. I have been looking forward to taking some class for a while now, but never seem to get around to it. I need to make it a priority. Reports like yours sure make it sound like it is fun and beneficial.

Great story Rick,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time & that you got to be "King for the Day" over your Bandit buddies.

Remember 7/10 on the street.

Are you going Sunday for the Superbike race?

Tom

Thanks for sharing. You motivate my already motivated heart to do the same. We just got the "Miller Sports Park" opened here and I am drooling. I need to wait till next year to take a track day but man, I am really really wanting to.

Awesome write up

Sounds like a blast! I really wanted to attend that track day too but couldn't work it out.

So was it good enough that you guys would do it again next year?

-MD

Thanks for the write up, sounds like a blast! My barber takes his R1 every other month, and invites me along. Sounds like the FJR holds its own well and I could sharpen my cornering skills.

Great report Rick!
All that money I have spent on farkles, and I have yet to spend any on any kind of advanced rider training or track days. Gotta change that. I have been looking forward to taking some class for a while now, but never seem to get around to it. I need to make it a priority. Reports like yours sure make it sound like it is fun and beneficial.
Here's a good one for you Skoot: https://www.dirtbikeschool.com/ :p :p :p :p :p

Real good write up OhioF, sounds like you had a great time.

It's a good feeling anytime you can improve your skills. :) and good on the instructor for the group placing.

great write up, glad you had a good time and learned something that is useful as well.

Even better that you got to move up to ride with your buddies, I am sure it was a blast.

Would love to be able to participate in one of these events.

Stories like this are great to read

Great report Rick!

Here's a good one for you Skoot: https://www.dirtbikeschool.com/ :p :p :p :p :p
OOOOOUUUUCCCCHHHHH! :lol:

Sounds like a blast! I really wanted to attend that track day too but couldn't work it out.
So was it good enough that you guys would do it again next year?

-MD
You bet!!! I'll be there any chance I can get now. It was quite a surprise to find out that the FJR and I could go that fast and be in total control. I will never forget the feeling of leaning over as far as I could and just flying around the turns. It was one of those days that everything worked well and felt right for me. :yahoo:

I asume Dave was out there with you?

You guys are going to have a make another visit down here with you're newfound skills. :)

Glad to hear you passed Dave, and stayed in front. Snicker at him for me.

I asume Dave was out there with you?
You guys are going to have a make another visit down here with you're newfound skills. :)

Glad to hear you passed Dave, and stayed in front. Snicker at him for me.
Slap, yep, wild man Dave was there. He could not catch me for some reason :yahoo: . I really made my day. I would love to come back there, some of the best roads I have ever been on. I'll let you know when I can make it down there and we'll have some fun. Also, I'll PM you about the Windshield you are holding for me. I just started a new job and have been a bit busy here, but it should settle donw soon.

Rick

thanks rick. like many of the others, i would LOVE to have an experience like that, and my chicken strips tell me i need to develop more skill and confidence to derive even MORE enjoyment from this great bike.

now if we could just get all the deer removed from this island ;)

great report.

shu

Latest posts